Notices

I'm eating too much ice cream!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm eating too much ice cream!

Seriously, does this sweet tooth ever end? I'm nearly 8 months sober and I still crave sweets. Not as much as when I first stopped drinking -- thank God -- but it's still there. I think I might be rewarding myself with ice cream instead of wine now. (So much for the initial weight loss. ) For those of you with continued sobriety, did the cravings eventually go away?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please don't remind me.
Just finished 3 ice cream bars a while ago.
8 years sober and still enjoy them much.
I do try to get some exercise in.

80 % of those I see sober up do put a little weight on.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah, yes. I filled my booze hole nonstop with food when I first quit and I allowed myself this indulgence. I lost my sweettooth years ago, but when I quit, it was back with a vengence. But now it's no sugar. I use fruit, fresh and especially dried, to satisfy that craving. Works pretty good.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well consider that the wine was full of calories too and maybe they cancel each other out?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haagen Dazs caramel cone.... Mmmmm!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've learned to accept my relationship with ice cream I aim for the lower-fat versions and smaller serving sizes. I'm a little fluffier but I'm sober and that is what really matters!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

By the way............congratulations on your 8 months ...........that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ben and Jerry's, I should have bought shares!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think you can see that you're sooooooooooooo not alone here! Ice cream was also my go to. Chocolate, of any nature. Didn't care what was in it just give it to me and keep your fingers away from my face.

Ok, a bit overboard there but pretty close. I had to find alternatives. I was taking grapes and freezing them and using them as a snack. Still sugar but at least it's natural.

Check this out, I think I'm going to try it:

Bake strawberries on a foil lined cookie sheet at 210 degrees for 3 hours.

I haven't tried it yet but it says online that they end up being like candy.

I'm sure others here will have suggestions too.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very common. I've been allowing myself to eat some chocolate chips every night, maybe a couple cookies. And I've got the belly pooch to show for it. So yesterday was day 1, no sugar.

For me (and this is just me because I know folks can get sensitive about this) sugar is a substance....its not a food. And for me, it isn't benign. The more I eat it, the more I crave it. It causes a 'rush' and a crash. If I eat too much, I feel sick and can get a hangover feeling in the morning. It increases my cravings for alcohol and know this from LOTS of past experience.

So sugar has to go. I don't get on myself too much in the first 30 days or so, but after that I eat a whole foods diet. Nothing processed.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, the cravings will die down! I had FIVE flavors of ice cream in my freezer for the first year or so....
Had some every night after dinner.....

That habit has been replaced with fruit. I buy giant bags of frozen fruit at Costco and eat with a teeny bit of sugar.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im still the same, mine is biscuits and tea! Im trying so hard not to over indulge! But hey... It keeps us sober! We can tackle any weight gain another day
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try smaller bowls...I use a 6 ounce coffee cup and since I usually only fill a bowl halfway, I can con myself into being satisfied with that smaller amount.

It sounds stupid but it's amazing how our minds can be redirected.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm just shy of a year and I have put on so much weight! God I ate like a piglet! I gave myself permission though. I just didn't want to drink so ice cream, cookies, chips etc. were all fair game. Now I am a year into this and I need to get a hold of my eating habits. Pretty much 100% of people I have seen get sober put on some weight.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

2.5 years and I still have ice cream every night. I never ate so much ice cream in my entire life. I have cut back on other sweets but only within the past few months. I consider it a healthier trade off with the alcohol every night.

Congrats on 8 months!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OH MY MEEEEE TOOO! (No that isn't a sugar induced over-comment!)

I have always enjoyed ice cream but boy - in the past month (I am at 99 days) it has been...out of control. To the poster who commented about 5 kinds in the freezer - so they are all pint containers not gallons, but yep!

And I work at Chick-Fil-A (US people probably know of it) and it is the best vanilla ice cream (just the right texture....) around.

I just read this article thanks to another thread here and it was very helpful about this issue - https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

I needed to gain weight, 10ish lbs from my unhealthy skinny vodka saturated body, and have gained about 15. Yep, in tummy mostly - everyone says I look much healthier but this part does bother me. So Jun 1, actually today as June-1-eve, is my day to really focus on diet; I went from having to make myself eat at all in first month, to eating healthy except for this sugar surge.

Glad to know I am not alone, and trying to remind myself that this is indeed a healing process in many many ways, especially physically. For me, this time is a transition focusing on my health and body in a little different way- I have to be honest that I have enough energy now to really concentrate on healthy eating, and gettting into exercise in a deliberate way.

And OP- how awesome about 8mos!!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mine has been gummy bears and gummy worms (specifically the gummy worms made by Sweet Smiles they sell at Dollar General that must be pure sugar). I feel like I eat a pound of them per day LOL. Ive been trying to get my body to lay off here and there, but man, I'm at 8 months and the cravings are as strong as they were initially. I tried switching to sugar free jello, didnt work. Sweet iced tea has been my other nonstop craving.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Try smaller bowls...I use a 6 ounce coffee cup and since I usually only fill a bowl halfway, I can con myself into being satisfied with that smaller amount.

It sounds stupid but it's amazing how our minds can be redirected.
Yes, I do that trick, too -- only now I'm getting seconds! Ugh!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm at 11 months... when I get to a year I'm going to cut out refined sugar for at least a couple of months. Without it I think I'd drop the 10 extra pounds that I don't like carrying around. Plus I end up giving myself weird sugar headaches and such.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my guilty pleasure