Notices

Well , 5 months sober - Still high GAD, but...

Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well , 5 months sober - Still high GAD, but...

Well , 5 months sober - Still high GAD, but therapist is assisting me what she calls "Almost PTSD" , but not anywhere near the extent of Veterans..

GAD + Sleep deprivation are killin me...I am a zombie..

But as of 2 days ago , I am now on a decent med(strong med) to tame the anxiety before bed..(still up at 4AM in almost full blown panic for some reason)..But should hopefully improve..

Also on a new GAD med..

Just can't seem to get past this psychosomatic nerve pain..Annoying as heck..Any thought I have beyond "Oh Look a Tree" seems to set of my nerves. Even the thought of going anywhere seems to get me nervous for whatever reason. This on top of a billion other stressors seem to have me grounded right now..Very irritating...

Just hope another week on these new meds will show some improvement. Heck, i know one beer would make it all go away, but at some point my system has got to calm the $$$#$%@ down...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you are making some progress, that is a good thing. Give the new meds and therapy some time, they will and can work if you give it a chance. Has your therapist mentioned anything about trying meditation or mindfulness practices? That really helps me a lot as well as getting some regular exercise - even just going for a walk.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trying to make progress...My therapist has me doing MCBT's..

I wish i could go for a walk, but my nervous system is so deregulated right now, I am left with dizziness , migraines and tremors everywhere..

They say it should improve, but I am so drowsy, tired and disoriented half the time, it's hard to tell anything...

It's like my brain is wired, but my mind is half asleep...Hence the sleep issues,,,
Old 05-26-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do sincerely hope your anxiety gets better soon. I have it too, but it's not as severe as yours. Meditation has helped me as well. I'll say a little prayer for you
Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Andrew, it sounds as if things are slowly getting better, a little rough maybe, but better. Congrats on 5 months sober!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi , sorry you feel this way . As a sufferer of GAD symptoms over the years I found after each drinking binge I would be off the scale for quite some time then eventually settle down to near normal with only mild fluctuations depending on what was going on around me . This is about you though as my story is long .
I relate to the night panic out of the blue , this is well explained on the sites/books below which I recommend .

Education on how anxiety disorders arise and perpetuate is crucial I think .

The following always helped me .

Claire Weekes books . ( bit dated but ground breaking work )

No More Panic | Support is just a click away ( free )

https://www.anxietycentre.com/ ( free but with a small subscription to access the full members area which is well worth it IMO ) .

People on here recommend mindfulness meditation to me and I intend to pursue that .

Take care
Old 05-26-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you...

I am working through a book: "The Mindful Way Workbook" by John Teasdale..

It's pretty interesting, I mainly use the included CD audio.There's a Mindful exercise called the Body Scan. The more I listen to it, the more my mind and body hurt all at one time which is truly nauseating..Therapist calls it healing. I call it torture...

I am just truly hoping that my mind is not that dependent on Beer for daily functioning.. If so, I am truly in trouble..I have a lot of things I'd like to do, and right now, I am just stuck.. I love hunting, but can barely get to the woods, let alone to Walmart without my mind racing...

I need for all this to calm down, so I can feel normal..
Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry to hear you are going through this. It sounds like you are doing the right things by seeing a therapist and using medication to help. And, it sounds like you're doing some Mindfulness training which is great. I hope you find things improving soon. Does reading at night help to take your mind off things and relax you?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anna, unfortunately, nothing relaxes me for the last year or so...Even a family trip to Disney partly relaxed me, in between a tore up rear caliper and rotor while in route..The only escape, and the ONLY escape is listening to the Body scan audio on the above CD..Anything beyond that results in thought rumination, exhaustion and headaches and dizziness...
Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 5 months bud
Old 05-26-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Thank you...

I am working through a book: "The Mindful Way Workbook" by John Teasdale..

It's pretty interesting, I mainly use the included CD audio.There's a Mindful exercise called the Body Scan. The more I listen to it, the more my mind and body hurt all at one time which is truly nauseating..Therapist calls it healing. I call it torture...

I need for all this to calm down, so I can feel normal..
Nofearnobeer I sense your sense of humour although I know its not funny this made me laugh " Therapist calls it healing. I call it torture.."

I have alot of left leg pain and my GP suggested I go to the gym ,she probably means well but 10 yards just now is a struggle .

I have read John E Sarno books Mindbody prescription , healing back pain , the divided mind . His hypothesis is that we create pain in our body by suppressing negative emotions , he calls it TMS ( Tension myositis syndrome). Its quite heavy material to read but very interesting.
You need an open mind but you know what ! I believe in it because I always get physical pain after a bad drinking binge or when too much stress is going on ( even though an xray showed mild wear in my left hip it shouldn't warrant the pain I feel according to the GP . Just thought id put that out .
Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep at it and congrats on 5 months! I'm there with you -- 5 months tomorrow and dealing with panic attacks, GAD, and PTSD. I'm on new meds as well. Hopefully in time, recovery and meds help us balance out our nerves! Best of luck to you!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thomas..I,ll have to look into that..Sounds about right....

Rattle..Sounds like we are about in the same place? Drank our way through too many traumas, now fragmented dreams and scattered memories..Weird as heck.'.Now numb as heck surface thinkers...

Thanks Wolfie...You rock sir..