Notices

Motivation to succeed

Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation to succeed

One of the main reasons I've been able to stay sober (149 days now) is due to from being told 3rd hand from a family member that another family member dosent believe I can live an alcohol free life. Now this person has no idea that I know he has said these things regarding my sobriety, and as much as it hurt and I was rather annoyed at first, I came to realise it was the best thing that ever could of happend. It made me more determined than ever not to give in to my urges and to keep it going through to the hard times. Every sober day that passes I get another mini personal victory by proving this person wrong and it feels pretty amazing. Now every time I get the slightest urge to reach for that bottle or go down the nearest pub, I think how annoyed I would be that I proved this person right, and to hear the inevetible words of "I told you so".

This little story is my " motivation" for each day and every day, next time you have a wobble and all seems pointless...

STOP , THINK, AND REMEMBER...
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 149 days James. Motivation is important, I hope you can find some motivation in the fact that you are doing something great for yourself too. Holding resentments against others, especially for things that we have no idea if they even said, can generate negative energy too.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrat on 149 days of sobriety. That is awesome.

Whatever helps you stay sober is great. Over time, as you build up those victories, I hope your recovery becomes something you do for you, because its the right thing to do. From your post it sounds like that is already happen.

The heck with what others think.. ...No matter who they are, or what they think!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job on 149 days
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job. Whatever you use as motivation that is effective, I say go for it. I would warn of this: what happens one or two years down the road when you proven yourself that you can go without drinking? Will start back up because you've proven this person wrong? I'd be mindful of that trap.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 149 days sober! Keep on proving them wrong.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 149 days James

I agree with Scott tho - the best motivation is always a positive one...wanting the best for yourself

D