Administrator

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 05-23-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 20 days frankster - any questions about SR just ask.
Congrats on 18 days chickenlady - the irritability is normal...most of us are like a bear with a sore head for a while but it will recede I promise

Congrats too on 11 days Cute, 8 days tootiesdad and day 4 bluejay as well

Good to hear from you James 90 and you too JL.

I've embraced my social awkwardness - it's me. Deal with it lol.

D
Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm having a rough time. Really thinking about drinking. There is so much stress in the apartment, and so much to do...and I have my own pace and method and way of doing things, and this frantic way is not it. My boyfriend is trying to push to do stuff and get them done his way, and I am beyond anxious and stressed. I just keep thinking I will be okay because I can always go get wine later. Sigh.

This is hard. Cravings I can fight a bit easier, at least so far, but having my emotions involved... I just want to shut down and drink and not have to think or worry. I hate feeling like this.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you explain to your boyfriend you have your own way of doing things and he's really stressing you out?

D
Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did, but he's an engineer... He doesn't understand the way that I think compared to the way he does, and why I can't just do things like he does. Which is silly, because he had horrible anxiety in college that very nearly prevented him from graduating. And my depression is taking off with wondering how little he thinks of me, he probably thinks I'm lazy, I feel useless to everyone, etc.

I'm just not used to getting through something like this mentally and otherwise. I am used to just drinking more so that it wouldn't seem so urgent and bad.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Whiteturtle! Sorry you're having such an overwhelming night! Maybe letting go of some of the control would help ease your anxiety. Let him run the show and just roll with it for tonight? Anything that isn't "just so" can always be "re-done" later....your sobriety and peace of mind are more important. I'm a lot the same way....have my way of doing things and its hard to let someone else take the wheel....I'm working on letting go (especially the small stuff) and trying to learn to detach myself from expectations (except for my sobriety of course).
Old 05-23-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
I did, but he's an engineer... He doesn't understand the way that I think compared to the way he does, and why I can't just do things like he does. Which is silly, because he had horrible anxiety in college that very nearly prevented him from graduating. And my depression is taking off with wondering how little he thinks of me, he probably thinks I'm lazy, I feel useless to everyone, etc.

I'm just not used to getting through something like this mentally and otherwise. I am used to just drinking more so that it wouldn't seem so urgent and bad.
If you drink you will just be building up more stress for later. Tell him it will take you a little more time to get adjusted to being sober but in the end it will make both of your lives better. In the meantime, try going for a walk or some light exercise and hopefully that can keep your mind distracted for a bit.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whiteturtle, I'm going to have to agree with simplicity on this one. My hubs sounds similar to your boyfriend, and sometimes that battle of wills is far too much for me, so I just have to let it go and let him run the show. Save your sobriety and sanity for tonight and have a discussion about it when you feel better.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone that helped me out earlier, I was avle to read your comments, but haven't been able to actually sit down and reply till now. I definitely felt super grumpy and heated, but once I got to leave the office and go to the gym, I felt a million times better. I just need to learn how to ride out my feelings and let go of what I can't control especially in other people. Here's to another day of sobriety and many more ahead!!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wishing all a peaceful night and a BIG welcome to all the new faces! I will be saying a prayer tonight for all those who are struggling.
I wish I could fast forward my recovery to happier days...I think in this fast paced world of instant gratification, I've become impatient. I want instant results. I want to be happy NoW. I want to have energy NoW. I want to feel balance and be well NoW. Putting in the work feels like....well work. Reading posts from those further along than I am does bring me hope.....but when I hear how long and how hard they had to work to get there, I think holy %$#@! I'm only on Day 25........got a long way to go.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also struggled with my emotions big time today. I was very irritated all day and felt like I wanted to scream and cry at the same time. Just feel down. Wanted to drink tonight bad but stood my ground and told myself tomorrow will be better. Going to sleep now. Hope every one has a wonderful rest of the evening. Sleep well my sober friends.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone, so much, for your encouragement and thoughts and empathy. It is amazing how beyond helpful it is to have a community like this, and all of you.

Well, I made it through Day 2. I ended up going to bed at about 7pm, and just kept sleeping. It's 1am now, so I'm just having some water and a snack, and then I think I'll head right back to bed. I am not sure how I made it through last night...I was so sure I just needed to drink. I can't thank you all enough. Speaking of, purplepeople, good job getting through this, too...I think we dealt with a similar fight today.

Simplicity, I completely understand about the instant gratification. It's not even so much that I'm not willing to put in the work, but fast forwarding to everything being just fine sounds so much better, haha. I just keep telling myself, those with months or years of sobriety built from scratch, too, so every day is a victory like it's the 1000th day.

Goodnight to all (good morning to those on the other side)! I feel very lucky, and very grateful, to have you all.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 6 here.

What a difference this makes to productivity. I'm blown away by how fast I can get things done. Especially the ones which require me to use my brain. I just thought I was naturally lazy but that does not appear true anymore. Odd that I never noticed this the last time I quit.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two weeks today.

Pros:

Sleeping like a baby, albeit with the help of non prescription sleeping pills which I intend to start tapering off with from tonight.

Waking up super fresh and clear headed, excited about the day.

Lost 4kg's of weight. Pretty much all I gained from the last 5 months of daily drinking.

Cons : Weekends and spare time still seems like work and allow the odd irrational thought to manifest. But even that comes with a pro : massive potential to explore and pursue new productive interests and hobbies.

Keep on keeping on Maybees !
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Just checking in before work. Great keeping up with everyone and welcome to the newbies. Better morning today. Less anxious and more motivated. Only 3 more working days then I've got a week off work. Planning days with my girls to stay sober. It'll be a first for many years 😊
Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Another trip to the dentist for me today. It's a relaxing drive there and the people are nice, so I'm kind of looking forward to it. Then I should be good until my next cleaning. Have a great day everyone
Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning sober buddys. Day 24 and going strong. Birthday on Thursday the big 33 ha ha. I might treat myself to a bottle of that really posh looking cordial I never buy because it's too expensive and a missive steak.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 24 Days Sober Ben !

Whiteturtle- A big congrats on day2! I'm glad you're finding this site helpful and encouraging! And likewise, thank you for your encouragement! You're among kindred spirits here so keep posting and stay close! Your AV will quiet down....promise. I remember the first week being especially trying with my AV throwing a tantrum in my head like a 2 year old. Just keep telling it to shove off and be gentle with yourself!

Wishing everyone a great day!
Old 05-24-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good morning !
Thankful for my headphones and radio station app on my phone. Can kind of escape for a bit, when work gets hard.( usually first 2 days of the 4 ).
I hope we have us a sober day.

Arpeggio- my iPhone stays logged in I think. Youngest son poured koolaid on the laptop last week. I'm phone bound for a while.
Still a load on me going on, but I'm plugging away when I can.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Morning sober buddys. Day 24 and going strong. Birthday on Thursday the big 33 ha ha. I might treat myself to a bottle of that really posh looking cordial I never buy because it's too expensive and a missive steak.
Apple and elderflower green bottle I recommend, or the lemongrass one!