Notices

Needing help and support

Old 05-23-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help and support

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I drank today. Now I feel awful. I got almost through the whole weekend without drinking. I keep setting goals and then alcohol ruins it! I want to stop completely because I know how dangerous it is for me to drink any alcohol at all. I've been wanting sobriety for a long time, and I have gotten so close! Why do I keep going back to something I hate so much? I want to be healthy and happy and set and good example for my children. I just have to realize that one drink is too many. I cannot ever have "just one or 2." I cannot be trusted around alcohol, I have to avoid it at all costs! But how? Success stories or advice anyone? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bronzie
Posting here is good start - SR really helped me turn my life around

Why not check out our Class of May support thread while you're here?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-19.html

D
Old 05-23-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Never stop trying. I had to get very beat up to quit, and even then I'm only 20 days this time. F2F support for me is very important, along with SR. And bottom line, I have to want to quit more than anything else in the world. I have to accept completely that alcohol is not an option, then learn to cope with life without it.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bronzie
Old 05-23-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
I cannot ever have "just one or 2."
Welcome, bronzie! I'm pretty sure that most of us here can relate to that statement! Many have tried, and most have failed...

In the end, life without any alcohol at all is just plain easier to manage!

Stick around, read a lot, post and let us know how it's going; it's a very safe and supportive environment here.

Best wishes,
Arp
Old 05-23-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
It sounds like you've got a great grasp on your relationship with alcohol.
I was a bad, unrepentant drunk. It's what I did. I drank for thirty five years and tomorrow I will have five years five months sober.
In the end, I knew it was over. I couldn't drink alcohol safely. But, I continued to drink for ten more years. I couldn't control my drinking no matter the solemn oaths, throwing it out and all my best intentions.
It was a living nightmare.

Finally, well aware of my dire situation, I attended an AA meeting. I had to walk past the place without going in four times. hen I did, there I met people like me. Some had years of sobriety. Some days. I felt at home. No one judged me. I was too terrified to speak until I had gone for weeks and I still continued to drink but it was never the same.
Here were people who were successfully not drinking. The seed had been planted in my brain.

I had to be willing. That. Willing. I spoke at a meeting. I said, "I'm an alcoholic."
The load was lifted. All the other people in the room were alcoholic, too. They understood.
I kept going. I stopped drinking. Me, the drunk.
That's what it took for me. An understanding of my problem, which you already have, willingness and action.
I wasn't going to get sober sitting on the couch or bar stool.

That's just my story. Coming here has helped me immensely also. Other people stop in other ways. Whatever works, works.
Thanks for your post. It brought back my old days. I never imagined I could quit and now I've discovered even the worst cases can. That is my wish for you.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I just realized I posted this about a month ago, and now here I am again...starting over again. I want sobriety so much! This is day one for me now. I hope it's the last time I ever have to say that!