Notices

Can alcohol cause ibs?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can alcohol cause ibs?

Im curuous who developed IBS and what your symptoms and story is...
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can alcohol cause IBS? In a word, no.

Here's some further information on IBS from the Mayo Clinic.
Irritable bowel syndrome Causes - Mayo Clinic

What I *can* tell you, though, is that I'm pretty sure "bathroom issues" are universal among people with drinking problems. Without going into a lot of detail, I can tell you that things normalized for me in that department with sobriety. And very quickly. A healthy diet is important, too.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive been sober for 6 months and now im having constipation issues and fatigue and such and pain ...was just in the other day and the doctor thought maybe i have it? he gave me gasx to help with pain but nothing
Old 05-22-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the pits, Aqua. I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. Perhaps you could ask your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aquatundra, I was having those same symptoms, which unfortunately could be caused by a lot of things. In my case, I just got diagnosed as having an H. Pylori infection. I was getting treated for IBS but it really wasn't helping so my new doctor thought it might be this bacterial infection. Turns out it was! It doesn't hurt to ask to get tested for it, right? At least it's something you can rule out if that's not your problem. I wish you the best of luck. I know how awful it is to deal with stomach and fatigue. Hang in there and keep looking for answers.

Delfin
Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I certainly had all the symptoms of ibs. Who knew that gallons of yeast and fermented grains would upset the bowels? Lol. Seriously, alcohol alone upsets the stomach lining, plus everything else.
Upon getting sober, eventually all things got better.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aquatundra View Post
Im curuous who developed IBS and what your symptoms and story is...
Okay, we're all adults here so I'll give it to you straight about my (ahem) "digestion issues" when I was drinking alcoholically every night.

I had diarrhea three to five times a day. It felt like what I ate went right through my body in 20 minutes. It was ugly. Some days were worse than others. I would go and then have to go an hour later and an hour later. It only stopped when my body felt completely empty.

It would come on suddenly. The "Oh no, I have to go now" feeling. It would happen at work, when I was on the freeway with no exits, at malls, in airports. I had a very real fear that I would crap myself in public. Did I mention I was in my 20's at the time? There were times I nearly crapped myself in public. At work I even left my work station unattended to run to the bathroom. It was that sudden. This was a big "no no" at my work. I could have gotten in serious trouble. Thank goodness nobody noticed.

Checking the toilet for blood became a daily habit for me. My insides hurt so much I wondered how could there not be? I don't believe I ever saw any. Sometimes it was clay colored which scared me terribly. Did it make me stop? Of course not. I figured I'd start taking more vitamins. And I did.

Can I get a drum roll please?

When I stopped drinking alcohol every problem with my bowels went away. Completely. I am now completely "regular."

Well there you have it folks. Another miracle story of a very serious health problem that went away like poof when I stopped drinking alcohol.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I had bathroom issues that are now gone but I've received another pleasant surprise in just two weeks of quitting. I'd get up in the morning and look at my face in the mirror. I looked so old, almost gray. Of course, in denial and naive me would pass it off as acceptance to being older. In two weeks I've found this was not the case. The healthy color is coming back into my face and I no longer look like I belong in a casket. I was also not an everyday drinker either. I was a once or twice a week binger.

Amazing how we refuse to see what alcohol does to us.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had all the things described above and even was bleeding by the end.

All clear and healthy now--I take a probiotic daily because I had a lot of yeast
growth from all that booze / sugar but really it cleared naturally,
Old 05-23-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi
Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had bowel issues also, constipation and a feeling of being bloated. For first week after quitting the constipation got even worse, then all of a sudden disappeared completely as did the bloated feeling.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Lots of wine can bring on an event that can only be described as explosive. But of course that never happened to me. Nope. Never.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So many times on this site I read something and wonder if I had written it. I never equated my explosive issues, my knowing every bathroom on my long route, mistakes......to alcoholism,
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Anyone have the sensation of a heavy bladder. .. often...? Or pressure. ..I thought it was a bladder infection but nope.... I'm thinking 100000% drinking... any thoughts?? It's day 1 for me...