Notices

Husband is addicted to suboxone

Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband is addicted to suboxone

Hi...I just had some questions for anyone who is knowledgable about Suboxone. My husband has been taking it for about two years now and I have given him an ultimatum to get off of it or I'm leaving. He has been seeing a psychiatrist since last November who is prescribing him all of these medications to help with the detox. He still is not off of it. I told him he needs to go to detox or I will not stay with him. He tells me if he does that he will have no energy to work for 2-3 months and I need to give him more time (1-2 months) to get off of the suboxone. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were on this and if it just sounds like he has no plans to get off of this and is trying to pull one over on me or if his requests are legitimate and I should be giving him more time.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my husband has been on it for 6 years with no end in sight it feels hopeless I know how u feel mine is def abusing his he gets 20 strips month and still runs out before his next appt we had a big fight and then he went and took more because I made him upset
Old 05-22-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweettart1230 View Post
my husband has been on it for 6 years with no end in sight it feels hopeless I know how u feel mine is def abusing his he gets 20 strips month and still runs out before his next appt we had a big fight and then he went and took more because I made him upset
Ugh that's a long time. It's very possible that my husband has been taking it for longer than two years. He has been very dishonest about lots of things. I also found out that he's been taking Adderall and Xanax. Not to mention he drinks too on occassions. From what I'm finding out, all of these can be deadly combinations.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What really bothers me the most is that we have two small children and I read online that even an accidental lick of the sublingual suboxone can be deadly for children.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Suboxone saved my life.

It's a hard drug to get off of. You have to taper off.

Not sure an ultimatum is a good idea because 9 out of 10 times, the addict chooses the drug.

If he is honestly trying to taper off slowly, keep in mind that because the receptors in the brain that crave opiates are being replaced with the suboxone, he may experience intense cravings and start using opiates again without suboxone.

On the other hand, it seems from what you've said about Xanax and Adderall, he may not be totally ready to get sober. But if he is, I don't think telling him to quit suboxone all together is the answer.

I understand your frustration though.

Good luck with everything!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pandblvr View Post
Suboxone saved my life.

It's a hard drug to get off of. You have to taper off.

Not sure an ultimatum is a good idea because 9 out of 10 times, the addict chooses the drug.

If he is honestly trying to taper off slowly, keep in mind that because the receptors in the brain that crave opiates are being replaced with the suboxone, he may experience intense cravings and start using opiates again without suboxone.

On the other hand, it seems from what you've said about Xanax and Adderall, he may not be totally ready to get sober. But if he is, I don't think telling him to quit suboxone all together is the answer.

I understand your frustration though.

Good luck with everything!
Thank you for the information. So are you saying in your opinion he should be on suboxone for the rest of his life?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No not forever

I definitely have hopes of getting it off it someday myself. Hopefully your loved one does too. My doctor suggests tapering when there are no big life changes happening currently or in the near future--I guess any large amount of stress and anxiety could trigger a relapse.

I have heard that some people stay on it for life. I am not planning on doing that. I have no side effects from it so it's not an inconvenience right now. But it does cost money to see the doctor once a month ($150) and money for the prescription ($15) once a month. I was on methadone for years and this is definitely cheaper. Plus the meth made me high. And I would have to go to the methadone clinic and see junkies everyday to get medicated and that didn't help my sobriety.

Hope this info helps. <3
Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pandblvr View Post
I definitely have hopes of getting it off it someday myself. Hopefully your loved one does too. My doctor suggests tapering when there are no big life changes happening currently or in the near future--I guess any large amount of stress and anxiety could trigger a relapse.

I have heard that some people stay on it for life. I am not planning on doing that. I have no side effects from it so it's not an inconvenience right now. But it does cost money to see the doctor once a month ($150) and money for the prescription ($15) once a month. I was on methadone for years and this is definitely cheaper. Plus the meth made me high. And I would have to go to the methadone clinic and see junkies everyday to get medicated and that didn't help my sobriety.

Hope this info helps. <3
Thank you so much for the info! It's so helpful for me to talk to someone that takes it. I feel that my husband is getting high off of the drug. Would you say that the drug can do this? He has confessed to sometimes taking a "big piece" of the film. There are times that he just seems really off.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Suboxone can and will get you high if you don't take it as prescribed. I was on it for a few years with mixed results. I abused it, but that was me. I was also on methadone. That being said I think it helps a lot of people who are ready for the help and hurts some others / prolongs the cycle of relapse. I have been clean and sober over 4 years so it is possible.

My concern (if I was in your shoes) is "finding out" that he takes Adderall and Xanax too. How exactly did you find that out? Are all of these meds prescribed? Is he buying extra off the street? Also taking A BIG PIECE of the film (more than prescribed) is definitely addict behavior. Not telling you what to do, but sounds fairly sketchy to me. Ultimatums don't usually work though especially if you don't stand by them.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Suboxone can and will get you high if you don't take it as prescribed. I was on it for a few years with mixed results. I abused it, but that was me. I was also on methadone. That being said I think it helps a lot of people who are ready for the help and hurts some others / prolongs the cycle of relapse. I have been clean and sober over 4 years so it is possible.

My concern (if I was in your shoes) is "finding out" that he takes Adderall and Xanax too. How exactly did you find that out? Are all of these meds prescribed? Is he buying extra off the street? Also taking A BIG PIECE of the film (more than prescribed) is definitely addict behavior. Not telling you what to do, but sounds fairly sketchy to me. Ultimatums don't usually work though especially if you don't stand by them.
No the Xanax and Adderall are not prescribed. I agree, it's all sketchy. I will be standing by my ultimatum as hard as it will be 😕
Old 05-28-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

With suboxone, when you are using it as prescribed, less is more. If you really have the end goal of being of it someday, you don't want to take a big piece because then you just increase your habit. Not from doing it once, but after a while you need more just like any other drug, bc you build up a tolerance.

I'm sorry to say, and I don't know the whole story, but I would be alarmed since the other drugs he's taking are not prescribed. He's got to be buying them off the street or trading them for something.

I really pray for you both that maybe your ultimatum will be the push he needs. Maybe he is at that jumping off point where he just needs something to push him over and he can finally say enough is enough, I don't want to live like this anymore.

But addiction is a family disease. It is the only disease that effects people not afflicted with it. It destroys lives-think about how stressed you are and the added drama and turmoil in your life. If you decide to stay with him and fight the fight, this will be a lifelong battle, for you and him. It is possible to live happy, joyous and free from this but it is a lot of work, but all worth it in the end. The gratitude you will have for others and life after you come out on the other side is amazing and humbling. You learn that through your experiences you can help others, and that is what life is all about. Think about how if you make someone smile, how good that feels as opposed to just buying a pair of shoes or something. It sounds cheesy I know, but it is true.

Good luck and I wish you both the best<3 Keep fighting<3
Old 07-16-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My fiance' has been addicted to suboxone for at least 7 years. I feel for you.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmx513 View Post
My fiance' has been addicted to suboxone for at least 7 years. I feel for you.
Do you feel that it's helping him in any way or is he abusing it?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope your husband gets off it and soon. I suspect that when they stay on it for years it changes who they are. My husband has been on suboxone for almost 10 years . I know that taken properly and administered correctly it is a lifesaver for some. Not us though. My husband moved out last year. Has little contact with me or our teenage children. Has cut ties with his siblings and his friends. No longer attends meetings. When I ran into him by chance a couple of weeks ago he was yellow. He is so angry/violent that I don't go near him at all willingly. We've been married 24 years and I was never afraid of him til recently. He hasn't read any of the studies that say depression, isolation, digestive and stomach problems are a side effect. He has all of them. My soon to be ex thinks he can't function without it and won't even consider that this s#^~ could be the problem. I don't think he is ever going to get sober and my heart is broken. We have the most beautiful 5 children you could ever imagine. But like some others my husbands prescription runs out early and he supplements with other drugs. I hope you have a different result. I'll pray for you.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Denise14 View Post
I hope your husband gets off it and soon. I suspect that when they stay on it for years it changes who they are. My husband has been on suboxone for almost 10 years . I know that taken properly and administered correctly it is a lifesaver for some. Not us though. My husband moved out last year. Has little contact with me or our teenage children. Has cut ties with his siblings and his friends. No longer attends meetings. When I ran into him by chance a couple of weeks ago he was yellow. He is so angry/violent that I don't go near him at all willingly. We've been married 24 years and I was never afraid of him til recently. He hasn't read any of the studies that say depression, isolation, digestive and stomach problems are a side effect. He has all of them. My soon to be ex thinks he can't function without it and won't even consider that this s#^~ could be the problem. I don't think he is ever going to get sober and my heart is broken. We have the most beautiful 5 children you could ever imagine. But like some others my husbands prescription runs out early and he supplements with other drugs. I hope you have a different result. I'll pray for you.
Thank you for your prayers!! I will do the same for you as well!

I definitely see my husband as a different person. I feel like I don't even know him anymore. I moved out about 4 months ago with our two small children. He has always minimized the suboxone and said its just for pain relief...when I know he's abusing it. Not to mention the money he spends on that and god knows what else he's abusing. I think it's obvious when this drug is being used properly and to achieve sobriety. I know in my case that's not what is happening. I wish you and your children a healthy and happy future <3
Old 07-14-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Update?

Hi, I know you posted almost a year ago, but I'm curious to know how your story played out?
I'm in almost the exact same situation right now and need some guidance? Hope this message reaches you!

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sober supporter

Originally Posted by SoberSupporter View Post
Hi, I know you posted almost a year ago, but I'm curious to know how your story played out?
I'm in almost the exact same situation right now and need some guidance? Hope this message reaches you!

Thanks!

I also want to know how this plays out. My boyfriend is trying to get off suboxone this weekend and I’m nervous as hell. He doesn’t abuse it and takes it as perscribed however I’ve never known him not on suboxone. I never knew him when he was addicted to drugs and I’m so so so scared. He has the will power and I will do everything to help him but if he relapses I don’t know how I’ll handle it. How’s your situation going?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My husband abuses it too. Its seriously awful. In my case things are not any better. I'm deciding to move on and be strong.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Cubs91.....how have you been ? Im wondering how your doing? Any news with your situation yet?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My husband I addicted to suboxone...

Hi Everyone,
I met my husband 8 yrs ago...he’s been taking Suboxone since I’ve known him...he used to be addicted to heroin. He gets it illegally. A year ago, he told me he was weaning off of them. Then I found the pills...I had to look them up. I know he doesn’t get high on them, but occasionally he acts very different and I can tell he has used something else...I worry about him because he’s not in the best of health...he doesn’t know that I know he’s using them...I’ve left him twice before because of his drinking...he makes promises to get me back...then it all begins again...I know he’s been texting his dealer today...I’m a pretty good detective...I’m just at my wit’s end with this. Thanks for letting me vent...if anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate it....