Notices

6 months today was my turning point

Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months today was my turning point

So 6 months to this day, was the day I realized I couldn't continue as I was. I had almost 2 years sobriety under my belt previously then thought I would try to moderate. Well a week into relapse I slipped back into old ways, drinking daily, hiding booze, living a shameful life with no regard for anybody else. 6 months yesterday, I started drinking red wine at about 11am and didn't stop, until I had drank the house dry.....I even drank the Christmas dregs, brandy, sloe gin, literally anything I could get my hands on. I passed out that night , no idea how I got to bed, woke up fully dressed the next day..in a state of panic! Checked my phone for the random drunk text messages and incriminating emails so my husband wouldn't find them, little did I know he had read each and everyone and was disgusted with me but too angry to speak! I got up drove drunkingly to meet some people for a Sunday run, I could hardly focus let alone drive or run, but was so drunk still was oblivious to things going on around me, I managed to get around the run some how, but no idea how I didn't have a heart attack, palpatations had kicked in, I felt clammy, my head was throbbing my skull felt tight and I could feel my brain pulsating. I needed to get home, I needed to lie down....I felt like I wanted to die. When I got back home my husband, looked at me and said is there something I needed to tell him..

Realization had just hit me like a bus, he knows everything, he had read everything......my life has just ended....I want to die.

That was the last time I drank.....and I will never drink again.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 6 months sober.

MB
Old 05-22-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months, I hope you have experienced many positive changes during that time!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zlhzlh...I want to thank you for recounting your turning point. Your success speaks for itself, and it gives so much hope and encouragement.

Heartfelt congrats.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bixbees, you are most welcome.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on 6 months!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow thanks for the reminder of the horror and sheer terror of active alcoholism. That is absolutely a nightmare!! Big hugs - you are on a much better path! (WE are)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months😊
Old 05-22-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Congratulations on six months, I hope you have experienced many positive changes during that time!!!
Yes Delilah, I am experiencing lots of positives.but it's taken a while to gain trust back which has created a horribly isolated feel to my life, things are so different, not comparible to before. I have very little social life and have let go of most of my friends. I have buried myself in work and looking after my family and my health. I am not where I want to be yet, but I wake up every morning and can face myself in the mirror and I know my husband has forgiven me.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you don't have days like that anymore.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi zlh, if I remember correctly when I joined this site you were sober and doing a lot of running and things were going good. I guess I didn't realize that you had relapsed. I can appreciate your honest, and it sounds like it was fairly severe (drinking the xmas booze). Very nice to hear you are at 6 months. That is great.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi zlh, if I remember correctly when I joined this site you were sober and doing a lot of running and things were going good. I guess I didn't realize that you had relapsed. I can appreciate your honest, and it sounds like it was fairly severe (drinking the xmas booze). Very nice to hear you are at 6 months. That is great.
I joined SR in December 2015, after I had relapsed yes. And yes drinking the Xmas dregs was pretty bad, Xmas from 2014 and before!!
I was doing lots of running yes, things have changed for me in the last 6 months, I got injured after Xmas and had to have a break. It meant my social life has become zilch as running was my life. I don't run atm as I can't seem to get back to the level I was at before and have lost the drive and competitiveness I used to have.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for the post zlhzlh, you just helped me to realize that there will be a point that I can come and admit to all what's going on right now. That there will be an "after" and I will make it through this. I'd say as long as I don't pick up but that won't be an option. So that tells me that at some point I will get relief from the right now and be so grateful for that.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

That is great! Thank you for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Wow thanks for the reminder of the horror and sheer terror of active alcoholism. That is absolutely a nightmare!! Big hugs - you are on a much better path! (WE are)
Ditto ^^^^^^^^

6 months is fantastic!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months! Relapse is bad (I did it after 11 months) but it teaches us a lesson in that moderation is not an option. Take the best from it and leave the worst behind but never forget.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 months! I'm happy to hear that your relationship with your husband is better.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Well done on 6 months! I'm happy to hear that your relationship with your husband is better.
He never stopped loving me...

I never deserved forgiveness, but he did and I will never forget the pain I put him through.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober! Keep going, it gets better.