Notices

Helpful Tip for those times away from home

Old 05-22-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Helpful Tip for those times away from home

Good Morning and welcome to Sober Sunday!

I'm revisiting and thinking about all the things that I did last time that worked. I try to share with everyone when I feel it can be globally useful.

Some of the hardest times we can have is when we get into social situations where there may be alcohol present. Going out for lunch, dinner, a wedding, etc. Maybe the situation can't be avoided.

Here's what I used to do if I thought I would need assistance while there. If you have a smartphone have you loaded the SR app onto it? If so then everyone is just a post away. I'd post and tell everyone that I needed someone to have my back and I was going to an event. Whoever took part in the post was coming with me. I didn't expect the responses but it was fun because members would tell me what they wanted me to order for them.

If I got to a point where I was having a really hard time I would excuse myself and go to the bathroom and post. Although, it's not uncommon anymore for people to sit right at a restaurant table and post.

Just knowing that I had everyone with me was what I needed to diminish any thoughts I had about getting off track. It worked.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks LadyBlue. Good idea....although, even though I have a HUGE phone, its still hard for me to see the app. Ahhh aging isn't for sissies.

I have found that my thinking is so important before attending something social (which I rarely do because I have no friends...). But when I was sober for a couple of years and had a boyfriend I was often in drinking situations. I try to prepare mentally beforehand. Remember that I don't have to 'be' anything more than I am, and remember to focus on the people. Drinking people like to talk. I became a very good listener. Those times were some of my favorite sober moments....just being, observing and listening. Not worrying about alcohol and becoming someone I'm not.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks
Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good idea - I've thought about downloading it but now and then the IT people from my office help me with it and I don't want them to see it.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Developing coping mechanisms are extremely valuable. I had to go to a barbecue yesterday (birthday party) and there was lots of drinking going on. Luckily I have gotten to a point where I don't feel compelled to drink, what they do is their business. I go, engage in painfully useless small talk, eat, and leave. No worries driving home because I'm sober, and my conscience is clear because I attended.