Notices

Envy

Old 05-21-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Envy

Hanging out with friends and they're drunk but they'll go home and sleep and wake and actually crave a coffee instead of searching for a drink.

I'm 24 days sober.

I can't help but think, what went wrong?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you mean why won't they wake up and want to start drinking?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't really know why I'm different to other people with regards to alcohol - genetics? personality? who knows?

All I know is I can have a happy and full live sober. I can't have that as a drinker.

I'd be careful hanging around drinkers early in your recovery...I think it's wise to be a little judicious with the invites you accept for a while

D
Old 05-21-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

won't YOU wake up tomorrow and NOT crave a drink, because you did NOT get drunk tonite????? and will have 25 days sober? you may truly be looking at the "glass" the wrong way......

here's a hint...don't hang out with others whose main purpose is to get drunk............what on earth would be the point OR the benefit?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think that one of the hardest things about being sober and in recovery is realizing that I was going to have to forego certain things. At least for a while.

It's hard in the beginning but if you're truly committed to staying sober it's a definite need. If your friends are real they'll understand.

After a while I could go to lunch with friends who were drinking and be fine with it. However, I could never put myself in a situation where I was hanging with those whose sole purpose for the evening was to get drunk. It just ended up creating resentments and the "howcome they can do it and I can't?" questions. I know why I can't.

Those situations just make it all that harder to stay sober. Do yourself a big favor and try to stay away. By continuing you're just allowing that monkey on your back to grab on that much tighter. This is already hard, why make it harder?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whenever I'm sober, and see drunken people, I can only think, "Oh my god, did I act and sound that stupid when I was trashed?" If I'm honest, the answer is, "No...you were way worse!"

I can tolerate the company of friends or relatives enjoying one or two drinks, without feeling deprived or envious; I *cannot* abide full-on drunkenness anymore...I'm embarrassed for them, and embarrassed that I once acted like them. It grosses me out! Arp
Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Well they're the ones who are going to wake up feeling like hell, and you won't. I certainly wouldn't envy them for a second.

And really, who knows what type of beverage they'll reach for. And it doesn't matter. All that matters is YOU.

At this stage, if you're finding it uncomfortable hanging out with friends who drink, then DON'T. For now. Can you socialize with anyone else, or maybe do activities with your friends that don't involve them getting plastered?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Surrender and acceptance is what I had to come to terms with. Why do some people get cancer and I don't. The answer is a mystery but they do.

I have this thing called alcoholism and it prevents me from drinking normally. I can't fly and I can't drink. The sooner I accept these as facts of life the less I'm going to hurt myself
Old 05-22-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand what your post means. While your friends got drunk, they will simply be hung over, crave coffee and move on. You would drink the next day...yep that's alcoholism.

Remember what alcohol really is. A powerful neuro toxin that has the ability to kill someone like you. Try not to romanticize. That makes an addict very thirsty.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't really know why I'm different to other people with regards to alcohol - genetics? personality? who knows?

All I know is I can have a happy and full live sober. I can't have that as a drinker.

I'd be careful hanging around drinkers early in your recovery...I think it's wise to be a little judicious with the invites you accept for a while

D
I like this