Notices

Dementia is my biggest fear

Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will be 28 years old in the fall of this year. Over the last year or so, I have noticed that my memory is not like it used to be. I have been experiencing mainly a lot of aphasia, and have been heartbroken and frustrated by it. I am almost positive it must be related to drinking... I have averaged about a bottle of wine a night for nearly the past three years, with a lot of binge drinking involved. I have always feared but been sure I will have Alzheimer's someday, as my grandma and great-grandma both did.

What I am incredibly, incredibly anxious about is... Will the aphasia be permanent? Or will stopping drinking for good allow my memory to get better or closer to normal?

I really, really need to quit drinking. I need to work on that plan. The fear that I have given myself irreversible dementia has been gnawing at me so horribly, though, that it is all I can focus on.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking will definitely help your memory and health in many ways. Start now.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking is bad for your health all around, mental and physical. Stop drinking now, when you're still young, and you may repair any damaged caused. It's guaranteed to get worse if you continue to drink.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

quitting drinking NOW is your very BEST defense. if you have been a daily drinker you haven't come out of the alcohol fog long enough to know what your "normal" reactions to any thing are. you have really good motivation to kick start your sobriety. i hope you do so!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing you can do is to stop drinking.

There is little you can do to control whether or not you get Alzheimer's disease, but you can do is to live the best life you can.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking like we do really messes up the brain - and yes it can sometimes led to wet brain or alcoholic dementia.

Your best chance of avoiding that is to stop drinking now.

I'm sure you'll see improvement in your mental capabilities over time - but if you're concerned the best thing to do is see your Dr and share your fears.

D
Old 05-21-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why live in the anxiety and worry that you are doing yourself harm by drinking. Come up with a recovery plan and take action on it and I am sure you will feel better not drinking.

I was very foggy and my memory was terrible while I was drinking and after stopping things cleared up very substantially. If you worried about aphasia why not have a heart to heart with your doctor about your drinking and memory concerns. At the same time you could detox under you doctors care, highly recommended.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was also a daily, heavy drinker. Every day. My brain hurt and I was a mess mentally. I also had aphasia, bad memory, you name it. I was only 32. I was genuinely concerned that I had damaged my brain beyond repair.

I stopped two years ago and my mental capabilities are back to normal. I am alert. I am sharp as I'll ever be. It's like I never drank.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was drinking every day I was also a heavy smoker of cigarettes and I think that affected my thinking. I'm much more alert when I don't drink or smoke.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fear isn't helpful to us at all, and many of us spend so much time living in the grip of fears of things that will never happen that it really does ruin our quality of life, and can also end up keeping us in the grip of our addiction. I was one of those people, and still can be even in sobriety if I don't work in my recovery every day.

The 12-step recovery programme of AA has really helped me learn about and deal with my own fearfulness, as well as helping me to stay sober through unity and service. I wouldn't be without any part of AA. One element of my rdvovery 'work' is prayer and meditation, and many non-AAers on here also get a lot of benefit from meditation, and a focus on mindfulness. You see, out problem generally isn't the thing that we are fearful of, but the fear itself. Once we understand and acknowledge that, we are far better placed to stop those fears controlling us, like puppets on strings.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes the things that we fear the most end up coming to pass. You shouldn't live in fear of things that you cannot control. I certainly understand your concern, however, being that dementia runs in your family. If I was you I would research ways to possibly prevent it if it is at all possible.

Living a heathy lifestyle is important for our longevity. Your binges and profuse alcohol drinking is not contributing to that healthy lifestyle. You already know what you need to do, so work a plan to get there. If drinking is really causing you problems then you need to find a way to put the bottle down. I would encourage you to explore AA, and look into options for treatment if you feel your case is extreme. I think you know this already, but I emplore you to take action and not just think about it.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The longer you keep drinking, the more damage done.
Recovery for me was gradual but good.
I still have some of the symptoms you describe, but
I was a drinker much longer than you.

Life with a clear mind is worth stopping for.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stopping drinking at 31 was the best decision I've ever made in my life I'm 34 now and I can only say stick with sobriety & watch the magic happen
Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also recommend to stop drinking now. I had a significant head injury as a result of my drinking and had a tbi - traumatic brain injury. I wish I could turn back the clock of time so to speak and that this would have never happened as my memory sucks from the injury and general damage I did while drinking. No one every said...man, I wish I never got sober...ever!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Unfortunately you have little or no say in what you inherit, but you are in 100% control of your drinking. It would serve you well to stop drinking. You are young and can salvage the majority of your life by taking action now. Don't wait until you are 40,50, 60 years old like many of us.

Side note: I was heavily involved in contact sports until I was 20 years old and my memory is poor. I worry that I may suffer from CTE.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think honesty is the best policy.

Dementia is the least of your worries. When you're crapping blood, you'll wonder why you worried about dementia.

Stop drinking and stop dying.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Craig

How much sober time do you have? The mind is always a mess early on. I was a mess my first few weeks.

Only a doctor can tell you if you have an issue, but I can tell you that you are still very young. Quit now and you'll be amazed at how your body will react.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There's a disease called "alcoholic dementia." Alcohol depletes important brain vitamins and minerals. I quit when I was 33...stayed sober 17 years then drank again for 16 years. Sober 10 months now in late 60's and I struggle with memory and numerous health problems. My immune system is shot. Wasting life on a poisonous substance...biggest stupid mistake ever!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You are worried that drinking is causing you harm so you continue to drink. I think I'd review that logic if I were you. The best time to quit drinking is now because tomorrow is always today