Notices

What I used to call boredom

Old 05-21-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What I used to call boredom

I now call serenity.

In comparison to the chaos my life had become as I was in the last stages of my death spiral down this does not sound very exciting but to me I call it serenity.

My son lives in Chicago which is about 3.5 hours away. They needed some items from us so we decided to meet half. We meet at this cool restaurant on a river that empties into Lake Michigan. They brought my super cute 2 year old granddaughter (I'm not at all biased) and we brought my crazy 80 year old mother in law. We laughed and talked, had a great outdoor lunch on a beautiful day, enjoyed my princess, stopped at an outlet mall and bought a bunch of stuff we don't need at a great price.

Thinking back on how my life has changed. There is no way I would have done this. Spending almost all Saturday without alcohol was unthinkable. I now see how many wonderful moments I missed. I don't live in the past but I sure plan on living in the present
Old 05-21-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're present, fully conscious and plugged in - not living in an alcoholic delusion which we used to call "living" - I think it sounds fantastic.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day!

One of the greatest gifts of recovery to me is enjoying the simple things that I could never be bothered with before.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful. It is amazing to think how my life has changed too. The gifts of sobriety!
Old 05-21-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I prefer living over simply existing

D
Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've made my life very simple as well.

I'm not a thrill-seeker, though I don't avoid it. I don't have or crave out-of-body experiences. Periods of depression are not paranormal experiences for me, and anxiety is not equivalent to extrasensory perception. I don't consider myself brilliant or otherwise special when I think of something I never thought of before. Nor do I imagine that my thoughts or my way of thinking are exceptional just because, at times, they only seem that way to me.

I can project my thoughts, feelings and desires all over the place, but that doesn't mean that reality is any different than anyone else who experiences it. Or is it? Creativity may be a gift but, like all that is given, I cannot claim it just because I want it. Besides, it's only degraded by virtue of my possessing it. Love is a fragile mystery, and only suffers when I put too much thought into it. I love reading, and immerse myself fully into the fantasy of it all. And good writers know that people like me crave the experience.

I don't look to do something new or different every day; novelty can be found in very simple things, because it is not crucial that these simple things be new. After all, is it them or I that's changed? My existence is only limiting when I stand perfectly still. And, like love, only when I put too much thought into it.

Now then, I've already said too much. Or perhaps I'm just getting old.