Notices

Feeling a little restless this evening, not sure why!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a little restless this evening, not sure why!

Just came back from a very good AA meeting, I feel happy enough in myself but some what restless, like I ought to be doing something but I don't know what exactly. Maybe its because Id like to go out and catch some live music like I did last night?! That could be it.

However this restless feeling is making me feel edgy and is somewhat a trigger, I feel like I want to do something, anything but drink obviously.

Sharing this coz I know I should. Maybe some food would help, something yummy just to fill this funny odd void I have within myself this evening?!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Food good. Booze bad. Do you play an instrument. Acoustic guitar is a great way to pass off a few hours.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

I remember around 6 months to a year I started feeling restless like that on occasion. I hadn't done anything not involved with using in a long time, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. All of my social interactions since getting clean were entirely recovery based (which was a good thing), but it was time to start slowly re-entering society.

It took a lot of experimentation and a lot of guidance and direction from my sponsor and other experienced members of NA. I'm still not totally comfortable, and I don't always know what to do when I'm a bit antsy. But I am getting better at it.

I have found that a few friendships with people in recovery have been valuable on many levels. Just being able to socialize or talk about whatever has been helpful when I am a bit unsure of what to do with myself.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do have an acoustic guitar but I suck at it ha ha although someone said to me its not how you play but how it makes you feel!

I've worked it out, I'm experiencing post gig blues, of course ! I always get it after seeing a big live band, but this guy I saw last night was someone unknown, I enjoyed it, I was sober and had a good time, thats why Im feeling restless coz I want to do it all over again lol! Only a fellow music lover / musician would understand the post gig blues

Soooo too late to go out now so Ive settled with a cup of tea and some maryland cookies
Old 05-21-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
I remember around 6 months to a year I started feeling restless like that on occasion. I hadn't done anything not involved with using in a long time, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. All of my social interactions since getting clean were entirely recovery based (which was a good thing), but it was time to start slowly re-entering society.

It took a lot of experimentation and a lot of guidance and direction from my sponsor and other experienced members of NA. I'm still not totally comfortable, and I don't always know what to do when I'm a bit antsy. But I am getting better at it.

I have found that a few friendships with people in recovery have been valuable on many levels. Just being able to socialize or talk about whatever has been helpful when I am a bit unsure of what to do with myself.
Interesting Ive just past the six month mark makes sense!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Tea and cookies are a good choice.

We tend to love "more".

Be careful going out to bars or pubs to see bands play. I actually stopped gigging when I got clean after I fulfilled the dates I had on the books. The bar scene was too much. I've only played in one band that strictly does fairs during the summer. I'd like to start playing nights a bit again, but I'll have to be extremely careful and have a lot of accountability if and when I do.

Congrats on six months. Keep at it.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah will watch out for that Ivan, I did leave last night when people around me started to lose all concept of personal space. I absolutely love live music tho, but take your advice onboard there! Need to keep safe at all times. I went to see a famous band a few weeks back and it was great, but the crowd got a bit out of hand towards the end, punch ups started (such a shame too no need for it when people are all there for the same common reason) sooo I left early.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tea and cookies are a good choice.

We tend to love "more".

Be careful going out to bars or pubs to see bands play. I actually stopped gigging when I got clean after I fulfilled the dates I had on the books. The bar scene was too much. I've only played in one band that strictly does fairs during the summer. I'd like to start playing nights a bit again, but I'll have to be extremely careful and have a lot of accountability if and when I do.

Congrats on six months. Keep at it.
Just out of interest what do you play? Im thinking about picking up the guitar again and try to learn it, I find it so hard as my hands are so small!
Old 05-21-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blue, don't fall for it, it's the decease. The evil devil. I'm sure if this will help but with 26 sober I had a whammy hit my last year because of my BF (he's in Rehab as I type) Do whatever it takes to fight it. Play solitaire if you must. ick up a pad and Write these feelings down. I left all my stomping grounds behind and became the movie Fanatic of a lifetime. My home group I purposely picked on a Friday night so I could keep busy Btu after I'd think Now what. So I'd stop at Major video, yes I'm not to young lol and buy 5/ 6 movies at a time. Living with Mom at the time she was nice enough to drop them off on Monday morning for me. I watched so many movies for 4 to 5 months straight that I'd go in and re-rent them and forget which ones I'd already watched lol Writing your feelings down may only take a bit of your time but it can put you in prospective. This decease is always with us and one that will sometimes show it's ugly face as envious and jealousy that you can't drink. A very dangerous feeling but just keep in mind your buddies DON"T have the decease YOU Do!!! I hope I wasn't to harsh just getting to the reality of it all. good luck I'm going to keep checking up on you in here.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Bass.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bass.
Cool!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my case serenity/doing nothing is uncomfortable because I'm not used to it. There was always a predictability when drinking even when bad things happened, an excitement. I'm learning the difference between uneasy boredom and serenity. Just being and not having to do the next thing.