Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Tonight was a test - First Friday night without a drink in years...

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I'm wondering why I didn't stop sooner! Well, I know why, I'm an alcoholic. Tonight was a test, I had committed to going to a gathering and couldn't get out of it. I turned up with my husband and family , everyone drinking and eating and I picked up a bottle on water. Had just water all night. Actually, it didn't bother me at all that others were drinking. In fact once I started chatting to people I felt very comfortable being there. This hasn't happened to me before. I don't often go out simply because I still think there's a few people who don't know that I am an alcoholic and don't want to spoil that, but tonight, I'm pleased I went.
Hope others have made it through.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friday nights were my "drink all night, wake up nearly dead" occasions; I've now weathered two of them sober. What a different Saturday it makes! Very happy for us both, Wtbaf...
Old 05-20-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Waking up Saturday morning without a hangover is a great feeling.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! Same here. I had a rough go at first, but am feeling better knowing I won't wake up hungover.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nicely done!! I am getting close to five months and tonight was the first event I have gone to where alcohol was involved. I also drank water (and one Diet Coke) One of my colleagues asked me "Do you drink alcohol." And o was proud to say "No,"

Waking up with a clear head every day is a wonderful sobriety benefit!!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Waking up early sober on sat is always a treat
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your first sober Friday night Wtbaf
D
Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, as you all said, waking up on a Saturday morning without a hangover and the usual feelings if worthlessness is a total benefit. I'm staying in the house tonight so am determined to get through tonight sober also. Thank god for SR and being able to post here and get support anytime, particularly in those moments of weakness. Thank you to everyone for being there. Your stories are not only inspiring, but very necessary to keep us all on track and allowing us to feel heard.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff Wtbaf. Waking up every morning bright eyed and bushy tailed. Priceless............
Old 05-21-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job! This should be an encouragement to many others who feel they can't get through a social event without drinking. I know too many people in life who feel they can't be friendly or social without some booze in them. It certainly is a confidence booster.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you doing this evening, Wtbaf16?

My last drink was 5/16, which was your first sober, it sounds like. So glad you made it through the dreaded first Friday. How is Saturday evening shaping up? Do you have plans in place?

(Personally...I'm hanging out on SR after finishing my workday. Eating popcorn and celery with peanut butter for dinner. )
Old 05-21-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear you and good for you. It was many, many years back over 20 and the time I had about 6 years and My Mom and I got invited to wedding. I nearly dropped to floor and wanted to chew on the chair when they announced the two FREE drinking fountains are now open. Each with two different drinks. I just looked at my Mom and said I'm going outside she said your going to leave me here. I said you don't want me to PICK UP do you. She didn't even realize how the announcement affected me. She actual thought with 6 years I may have been O.K. What's ironic about it all is I was outside for about 15 minutes and BOTH fountain were cleaned out as I heard people saying. I laughed inside and though WOW, some of these people May have a drinking problem and totally let it go and had a Great night of dancing and laughing. Just remember this is a very cunning decease you never know when that devil comes up and whispers in your Ear.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
How are you doing this evening, Wtbaf16?

My last drink was 5/16, which was your first sober, it sounds like. So glad you made it through the dreaded first Friday. How is Saturday evening shaping up? Do you have plans in place?

(Personally...I'm hanging out on SR after finishing my workday. Eating popcorn and celery with peanut butter for dinner. )
I'm doing great BixBees. I'm now occupying my "worst" time with refinishing old furniture! I'm very bad at it but that's not the point! Just keeping a distraction until I'm over the hump! Hope you too are doing well. Are you?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good work!!

Yes, I am doing well. Thank you. I worked today and now am spending the evening with Kindle and SR.