Notices

How do you reward yourself?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you reward yourself?

Hi my friends. I'm 3 months and 17 days sober, and really starting to feel comfortable in sobriety again. I'm working hard on my sobriety, going to meetings and living in the steps of AAas best I can. I haven't a sponsor at the moment as she relapsed but I feel ok about that. I've got some very good friends who support me.

Thing is, I've turned to chocolate and sweet stuff as a way to reward myself. I need to stop doing this as its so unhealthy and I've put on loads of weight.

Today was a bit tricky at work and I had to have a really difficult conversation with someone. It went well and I was so relieved. On the way home I thought I needed a treat. Alcohol never crossed my mind...but I bought myself some chocolate and ate far too much...and now I feel guilty and a bit down.

What are some healthy ways you've found to celebrate? Care to share and rescue someone who is probably headed for diabetes!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me a treat would be a new book or some new music. But, I also love chocolate and ice cream.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Books for me, too. And also cake, ice-cream, good tea and coffee, a bubble bath with candles, and some jazz piano.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I consider sugar a substance, not a food. That doesn't mean I don't love it but I get addicted to it, it does 'alter' my mood, causes a hangover and regret. So I try to look at it that way. It is incredibly common for alcoholics to turn to sugar when they quit drinking, including me But I know from years of experience that sugar increases my cravings...not just for more sugar, but for alcohol. So ultimately I have to be really careful. I have heard another refer to it as a gateway drug (ex children that eat tons of sugar) and that really made sense to me.

I'm not sure I'm a huge 'rewards' based person. But I am a 'I can't cope with this feeling' type person. So its coping skills that I need, rather than rewards. Maybe when feeling down, a nice massage, pedicure, new stuff from Sephora (yay), new summer shoes? Coping with food is super common so you're not alone. But I believe it just continues addiction based thinking. But when all else fails, better some sweeties than alcohol!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Today was a bit tricky at work and I had to have a really difficult conversation with someone. It went well and I was so relieved.
Why wasn't that enough? The simple joy of having something go easier or better than expected. Why the need to "treat yourself" to something good?

I used drugs and alcohol as a reward, a component of celebration. So when I got clean and sober I had to rethink the whole "reward" mentality. Not everything needs a drink, or chocolate.

Not to say you can never celebrate or treat yourself to something. But your "Go To" reward is falling into a pattern that is troubling you. So something needs to change. What you reward yourself with, or what ranks a reward.

Good luck. And congrats on 3 months and 17 days. Pat yourself on your back!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni, well done on over three months!
I neglected my skin when I was drinking. As a reward, I now buy the more expensive face creams, seeing I'm not wasting money on alcohol!
I also love to have a pedicure on occasion, as a special reward.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I consider sugar a substance, not a food. That doesn't mean I don't love it but I get addicted to it, it does 'alter' my mood, causes a hangover and regret. So I try to look at it that way. It is incredibly common for alcoholics to turn to sugar when they quit drinking, including me But I know from years of experience that sugar increases my cravings...not just for more sugar, but for alcohol. So ultimately I have to be really careful. I have heard another refer to it as a gateway drug (ex children that eat tons of sugar) and that really made sense to me.

I'm not sure I'm a huge 'rewards' based person. But I am a 'I can't cope with this feeling' type person. So its coping skills that I need, rather than rewards. Maybe when feeling down, a nice massage, pedicure, new stuff from Sephora (yay), new summer shoes? Coping with food is super common so you're not alone. But I believe it just continues addiction based thinking. But when all else fails, better some sweeties than alcohol!!!
I've known for some time that I have an addiction to sugar. It is a hard one to beat because of the hidden sugars in foods. I find myself thinking of a cigarette from time to time too and I haven't smoked for 3 years now. It's like my brain craves 'something' and is looking for that replacement high at the moment.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Why wasn't that enough? The simple joy of having something go easier or better than expected. Why the need to "treat yourself" to something good?

I used drugs and alcohol as a reward, a component of celebration. So when I got clean and sober I had to rethink the whole "reward" mentality. Not everything needs a drink, or chocolate.

Not to say you can never celebrate or treat yourself to something. But your "Go To" reward is falling into a pattern that is troubling you. So something needs to change. What you reward yourself with, or what ranks a reward.

Thanks. And I think you are right about not being able to just feel relieved that something went well, it doesn't feel enough, and I probably need to think about that.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some alone time at the gym, gym clothes, walking shoes, healthy smoothies,haircut, books, magazines, coffee, tea, pajamas, sunglasses.

Congrats on almost 4 months sober.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe I can't have just (one) ???

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

What are some healthy ways you've found to celebrate?
A nice sober bicycle ride or hike works for me.
I always feel and think better after a little exercise.
And believe it or not, it is rewarding.

Then maybe (one) chocolate.
Just one -- admitted -- my wife is much better with one only thing.

Enjoy -- you are sober today.

MB
Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

Hi Jeni, I agree with doggonecarl's post.

I like to treat myself with something once in a while (new earrings or scrapbook supplies, a new book, sometimes something yummy to eat ) but I don't know that I look at these as rewards for something I have done. Not that a reward never has its place.

Sometimes, just the satisfaction of knowing I did the right thing or made a good choice suffices.

I know you have worked really hard to be where you are. Well done on 3 months and 17 days!! Your commitment to living in recovery is a beautiful thing to behold. That in itself is something to be very proud of

Old 05-18-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I completely understand Jeni. The food industry is very smart...they know. Add sugar, crave food, increase sales. Its pretty terrible actually but that's another discussion. I try to stay away from anything that is processed or has more than 1 ingredient...so in other words, whole foods only. The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it. Sounds familiar huh?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

“It's not the honors and the prizes and the fancy outsides of life which ultimately nourish our souls. It's the knowing that we can be trusted, that we never have to fear the truth, that the bedrock of our very being is good stuff.” -- Fred Rogers

SoberP's tag line is very appropriate for this thread.

And I think doggonecarls post is wise.

While we are growing our internal reward system/self respect...a fair number of external tangible rewards may be needed to bridge that gap. Sometimes a tangible reward is a big step (maybe preliminary) toward caring for and respecting ourselves. Me, I am only day 2 = PSA and ymmv.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this will probably not help you, but I substituted booze with food. I'll splurge on something I really enjoy. Usually not desserts though, something like seafood or take out.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
under new management

a special lunch or dinner is a nice treat to look forward to once in a while!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

there is a big difference between reward and celebration.
i don't know what i'd reward myself for...or maybe it's more true to say that i question the reward-frame-of-reference.
staying sober doesn't need a reward; it itself is the reward of doing other stuff.

i do occasionally get that niggling "want something, gottahavesomething", and i use those moments to look at why, first of all, i'm not 'okay' in that moment and then secondly i try to get a sense of what it is that i really need, if anything. often, it's nothing. i have no real 'need', just a knee-jerk reaction. give baby its soother, i can sometimes say and laugh.
but it's no laughing matter.
(chocolate? i have some very good chocolate every day. for the most part, that takes care of the running-to-chocolate i did in my earlier days. )

congratulations on your months, Jeni, and it's early days. some of the "need-something/anything needs" get weaker over time. with others, being specific about what you need might help. yet others, you might just be stuck with for a bit.
that was a real revelation for me: if i just sat with it in the moment, it was survivable without "something". who knew???
Old 05-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I go buy myself some make up or a new dress I always keep the amount under $15 (or else I can really go off on a spree and then I will end up with a whole new addiction!)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jen, at 3 months I was all about rewards and pats on the back...I needed them to help propel me forward and support me.

Ice cream was a huge part of my life and remained my go-to for about a year. I should have bought shares in Ben and Jerry's

Now, I don't really have any rewards, when alcohol became my default to living, good, bad, happy sad, everything was messed up and I answered everything with "I can't wait to have/get a drink" and did.

I am extremely grateful for the good aspects of my life and when I have a good day or did well I am glad that the day went well.
I guess, my default really is becoming life on life's terms...

P.S, I love a cup of tea!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I celebrate most anything by walking my dogs. The fresh air and exercise and sunshine is good for all of us. I like watching them just 'being dogs'. Sniffing and looking around. I don't feel like it's been a good day unless I get at least one dog walk in.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I get little rewards every day. Having conversations with people is a big one, since I avoided people at all costs when I was drinking. And it dawned on me the other day that I can't remember the last time I got angry. I still get irritated over stupid stuff, but I recognize it and get over it quickly instead of letting it ruin my day.
I also do more stuff like going to a movie or a ballgame. I'm always looking for new things to do. Right now, I'm trying to find concerts or festivals this summer. I figure; what's the point of being sober if your always bored (and we all know where boredom leads to).
And like others have said, I always have something sweet around my house. Having a blueberry muffin right now. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. John