Notices

31 Days sober from a longtime lurker

Old 05-18-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

31 Days sober from a longtime lurker

I have been reading these boards for 7 years, and have never posted. I'd like to thank everyone that posts here regularly, I suspect there are thousands of drinkers like me that SR helps by providing a safe place to look for answers and experience, even though not all of us post. I have accomplished 31 days sober. I embarked on sobriety after a heavy Saturday night of drinking with friends, I'm a runner and had my long run of the week scheduled for the next morning. I had to stop running after four miles, and walk back to my starting point. That was a deal breaker for me. When I got home, I found the book The 30 Day Sobriety Solution and downloaded it immediately. I also downloaded This Naked Mind Control Alcohol. Both books have been extremely valuable in helping me have 31 days of sobriety, but I have to admit I am still ambivalent about my feelings toward alcohol.

I know that drinking is something I still think I will enjoy. I feel like it is helps me be social, and relaxes me. BUT, if I think about how much less stressed I’ve felt over the past 30 days, I honestly have to question those feelings. I’ve been sleeping better. I rarely get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or drink water (which was a nightly occurrence while drinking). I feel more even keeled, and this in some ways feels a little boring. My friends don't seem to think I need to be sober, and keep asking when I am going to drink again. My husband isn't a huge drinker, while he is happy I am trying to cut down, I think he feels sobriety is an extreme choice for me and our lifestyle.

Benefits of 31 days: my skin seems clearer, my mind is much more alert and I don't have huge cravings for alcohol. Negatives: a small feeling I'm missing out on fun and frustrated I can't just numb away my problems and feelings.

I think that my AV is trying to trick me, and say if it's been this easy, I don't really have a problem. My sensible brain is trying to point out that a normal drinker probably wouldn't have lurked on the SR site for 7 years off and on. I think that in the past, I would come here seeking a litmus test to assuage my fears that I was drinking too much, to be fair to everyone here, those fears were too often confirmed, and I recognize now that comparing my drinking to my friends, people on this site, or my family doesn't change the fact that alcohol has been hurting me for years, just because I've allowed it to hurt me more or less than anyone else doesn't justify my abuse of drinking.

I will stay sober today and see how 32 days feels.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very well said: I recognize now that comparing ...doesn't change the fact that alcohol has been hurting me for years, just because I've allowed it to hurt me more or less than anyone else doesn't justify my abuse of drinking. "

Thank you, welcome Change72, and congrats on 31 days. I hope you will feel like posting/sharing on your journey. I know you will have a lot of understanding and support here.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 31 days! And welcome to the world of delurking at SR.

I think your inner sense of yourself is right - your AV is working hard to trick you.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & Congratulations Change nice to meet you
Old 05-18-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go!

I'm right behind you with near to 4 weeks.

I know what you are saying..... it's been fairly easy "This time around". But I am keeping my AV guard up!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 31 days! Hows your running?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome change
Congrats on 31 days!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Frickaflip! It's been going well! I have days where I have loads of energy and others where I drag a bit, but that's always been the case. It's been nice not having to run hungover on Sunday mornings!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 32 days and welcome to posting Change

Yeah that AV will lie to you - you're not going to have fixed a years long problem in 30 days.

Things are going well because you've stopped drinking, not because you've somehow gained control over your problem or reverted to 'normal'

D
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Change72, congratulations and thank you for your post!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, and good for you for recognizing the AV trying to push through.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome aboard...

Give it a few more weeks....

See if your anxiety ramps up...

That av is the anxiety talking...

If you drank to get drunk often...e.g. more than about 4 units once a week...the addictive pathways are established.

It is progressive as u know....
Old 05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months. Keep going, it gets better.

I got sober for good over six years ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello all. I also have been "lurking" and would like to say Great job on your 31 days! I am also a new member and would like to express my gratitude to everyone on this site for all the help and support you continue to give to me on this journey. I am 9 months sober today and you have been with me for the last 6.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to have you with us, change. 32 days - that's wonderful. You're very self aware - that's going to help.

REsoberALITY - It's great to meet you, too. Congrats on your 9 sober months.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Change - welcome and congrats.

So I would guess that the first time you ran, it probably wasn't a 10k. You had to train your way up to it, right?

Can you run your desired distance only eating cake and ice cream and occasionally jogging a mile here and there? Probably. But if you want to perform your best, wouldn't you plan a better diet and running schedule?

Maybe there's a way to apply the discipline you've learned as an athlete to help you on the road to sobriety?

Stick around and let us know your next step (yes, I like puns)!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by change72 View Post

I will stay sober today and see how 32 days feels.
Congratulations on your month sober and welcome.
I enjoyed reading your intro story.
M-Bob
Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great stuff and congratulations on your journey to date!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

congratulations on 31 days change!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, and nice to meet you. I lurked here on and off for years before posting as well
And congratulations on the 30 plus days!