Notices

Emotional 180

Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional 180

Ending day 4 and my emotions have taken a nosedive. I know this is normal, but dang. I went from motivated and optimistic to listless and teary in about 2 seconds. It'll pass, but for a moment made me wonder why this effort is worth it.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You already said why the effort is worth it, because "It'll pass." And your perspective on things will be brighter. Hold on
Old 05-16-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know I am over 90 days into this now and my emotions still go up and down. Why is the effort worth it? Think about how much more negative emotions you felt during that period of drunkenness and afterwards. Which is honestly better?

The last thing I remember before blacking out and ending up in jail with a DUI is how I felt my life was over and how I wanted to put an end to it. I was fantasizing about how I wanted to do it. I personally never want to go back to feeling that way ever again. I am glad I didn't make it home that day, I think I was seriously going to make an attempt at it that day.

These days sometimes I feel like never waking up again, but I wake up the next day and realize I need to be here not for me--but my family, my friends, for my future, for my future family, for my future career, my hopes and dreams.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cant offer much in the way of insight, since I am on day 5, but I agree with Frank in that what has kept me going is a reminder of why I am here....

That in itself is my motivation. I was an all day/night drinker 7 days a week for way too long. As a result of that, I have significant health issues that may or may not be repaired-- only time will tell. I personally don't ever want to go back to being that dependent on the bottle ever again. I lost two jobs due to it, and countless friends, my self confidence, self worth-- the list goes on and on.

Is quitting worth it? !@$$ YEAH! But, the struggle is real, and I feel your pain.
Take one day at a time..... there is a lot of support on this site, that much I know for sure. ( even in the short time I have been on it.)

Hang in there!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At four days, you're barely out of the physical withdrawal. Of course you're going to feel like crap. But the longer you stay sober, the better you'll feel. Don't give up now! Hang on, it gets better.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know the beauty in that 180 emotional turn, is that its possible to turn another 180 again. I have to remind myself of that fact every day.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The storm will blow over, stay the course.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Still feeling down today, but trying to push through. Day 5. I think a lot of what I'm dealing with are the guilt/shame in what got me here. There's craving, and then there's more guilt, how could I crave something that has been this bad for me? What a cycle.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cherrybreeze View Post
Still feeling down today, but trying to push through. Day 5. I think a lot of what I'm dealing with are the guilt/shame in what got me here. There's craving, and then there's more guilt, how could I crave something that has been this bad for me? What a cycle.
Hang in there, you can do this.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there!! You made it to Day 5!!!! Trust me, things will settle in. Yes, the cravings will still be there, but it is what you do with them that is the key to your sobriety. I have found random replacements for vodka, and as silly and as strange as they may be, for now they are working.

Take one day at a time, and stop beating yourself up about it. We are all in the same boat in one shape way or another!