Notices

3 days. I fell off again.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days. I fell off again.

Again my SO got me to a place where I fell off. I felt so good. She drives me crazy. She left 4 months ago but won't let me go financially or emotionally.
I didn't talk to her all weekend and I didn't drink. Today she stood me up for a financial agreement. I break.... Again.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong you can do this.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again my SO got me to a place where I fell off.
I think you need to rephrase that Kt.

Your inability to deal with your SO in a healthy way got you to a place where you drank/fell off.

I'm not trying to beat you up - but reframing things as your problem/your responsibility means you can do something about that?

D
Old 05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can't change other peoples actions, but you can change yours.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Sorry to add in on it, but a big part of my recovery is owning responsibility for my own behavior.

Whatever's in the house, pour it out, and climb back on the horse.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you want to drink more than you want to be sober, you will drink. When you want to be sober more than you want to drink, then you will stay sober. Not easy, but simple and true.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

3 days and fell off? Get up, brush yourself off, and try again. Sobriety is about progress, not perfection. If you expect to be perfect then you will fail.

As for your significant other, you say she won't let you go emotionally or financially? I have a feeling that you're not letting her go emotionally or financially. If that person is driving you to this point, you need to make the move to cut them off completely.

My ex nearly destroyed me emotionally until I let them go. It wasn't until I realized I was allowing them to hurt me and that I was the enabler that things started to get better for me.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to accept responsibility, but blaming others won't help you stay sober. You can learn healthy ways to deal with your SO that won't lead you to drinking.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberaccountant View Post
3 days and fell off? Get up, brush yourself off, and try again. Sobriety is about progress, not perfection. If you expect to be perfect then you will fail.

As for your significant other, you say she won't let you go emotionally or financially? I have a feeling that you're not letting her go emotionally or financially. If that person is driving you to this point, you need to make the move to cut them off completely.

My ex nearly destroyed me emotionally until I let them go. It wasn't until I realized I was allowing them to hurt me and that I was the enabler that things started to get better for me.
That's right: do not embrace your problems.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep going fellow Canadian!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
I'm here because I need someone to hear me. Hopefully someone can understand. My personal life has been in turmoil and just when I think it is over there is another curveball. I sat on the side of the road today, reading text messages from her and I broke and went to the store.
Bought just enough that I knew would take the pain away. Not enough to lose it. Any amount is too much.
Thanks again
Old 05-16-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the long term tho we have to learn to face pain or deal with it in healthy ways - do you see that Kt?

Not drunk or not, there's got to be a better solution than drinking, or you'll be stuck in a loop?

D
Old 05-16-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ktm - I used to think getting numb was a way to cope & calm myself down. It does just the opposite. We feel easier for a short time, then the anxiety comes back, usually much worse than before. Plus we feel bad about relapsing - which just adds to our misery. It took me a while to get this.

I'm sorry for what you're going through - but you need a clear head to deal with this situation. Don't sabotage yourself - alcohol never helps. We know you can do this.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
I am trying so hard to do the right thing. Emotions are a crazy thing. I felt so great this morning about day three. I guess I can look forward to the feelings of another day three?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To Sobberaccoutant: that's the problem. I am trying to let her go financially and emotionally. It's all on her to let it go. That's the hard part. She will not just let me go. I am doing everything I can to end it as she has her own problems that do nothing that help me with my own.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ktmbuurger570 View Post
Thanks everyone.
I'm here because I need someone to hear me. Hopefully someone can understand. My personal life has been in turmoil and just when I think it is over there is another curveball. I sat on the side of the road today, reading text messages from her and I broke and went to the store.
Bought just enough that I knew would take the pain away. Not enough to lose it. Any amount is too much.
Thanks again
I often need to remind myself that I cannot control other people's actions, but I can control my reaction to them. Is there a reason you still need to have her number in your phone? You may want to think about blocking her.

It is great that you came right back on here, I hope today was a good Day one for you.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ktmbuurger570 View Post
To Sobberaccoutant: that's the problem. I am trying to let her go financially and emotionally. It's all on her to let it go. That's the hard part. She will not just let me go. I am doing everything I can to end it as she has her own problems that do nothing that help me with my own.
I beg to differ. You have it in your power to say goodbye, the question is, do you have the wherewithal?

Unless she has legal hooks in you, you need to set firm boundaries and abide by them. Your sobriety is more important than anything else, including your relationship with her.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

you do not have to read and respond to all of her texts. consider it spam. delete and move on.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

She has legal hooks.
She won't let me go. I need her to let me go.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As soon as the legal garbage is over I will feel free.