Notices

Just curious

Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just curious

and sorry to start a 3rd active thread with my name attached, but I'm using this for non-drinking means. I always notice this snippet when I first come here: Most users online at one time was 2,208 (08-27-2012 at 10:47 AM).

Anyone know why that time was so popular? As a marketer, I'm also curious about metrics now. Any way I could be clued in, even privately? Just a curiosity of mine. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I think the answer to this question is like the one for "Why do some people have alcoholism?"

Accept and move forward!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suspect (but have no inside information) but there's no special significance to that time. After all, what if the 2nd most users online at one time was 2,206 on June 2nd and 4:25 pm? Some day had to have the most at one time!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ME TOO babes cake! We should google that date and see if something happened in history that was especially traumatic. I have always wondered about that too. That's a lot of users online! Happy Sunday to you.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I have wondered that myself, so when I saw your question I googled the date. It coincides with a great deal of earthquake activity in California. It seems plausible that there was a lot of fear in the population on that date. People may have drank to cope with the fear or perhaps found themselves wanting to drink in response to the stress and fear from all those earthquakes. As a result they might have come to this web site as a result of drinking or to help them not drink. I was not living in California in 2012, but I was in the San Fernando Valley during the Northridge quake of 1994. The amount of fear following quakes can be palpable.

Absent anything better, this is what now seems like most plausible explanation. I would be very curious what Anna would say in response to your question, both because she in an admin. here at SR and also because (if memory serves) she lives in Southern California.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's funny. I looked at the date and I actually remembered what was happening then. It was the political convention of one of the parties. I don't want to start any arguments so I won't say which party.

The 27th was the first night of the convention.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always wondered this too!! I think curiosity is a good thing
Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You'd think it would have been New Year's Day of any given year.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

IMO It's got to be due to either fear or publicity. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
That's funny. I looked at the date and I actually remembered what was happening then. It was the political convention of one of the parties. I don't want to start any arguments so I won't say which party.

The 27th was the first night of the convention.
Wow! Thanks for clarifying. That is hilarious. Nothing like a bunch of drunk (or sober) people commenting on politics! lmao
Old 05-15-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anna's in Canada

I was around on that day - I can't remember it being any different than other days, or any earthquake talk, but the mind plays tricks...who knows ?

D.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

D, are you in Australia? Be honest (maybe you have, I don't know. I just know you are a great moderator and voice to this forum, in all capacities). Straylia means Aussie correct? I just love hearing your voices. I'm America-bred, Midwest upbringing, no accent. Though, if you listened to me right now how I sound (severe laryngitis),
Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hmm I lived in California in 2012... I don't remember any earthquake panic! And I would've been the first to panic. That was only my second year there and I was always checking my earthquake app.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
D, are you in Australia? Be honest (maybe you have, I don't know. I just know you are a great moderator and voice to this forum, in all capacities). Straylia means Aussie correct? I just love hearing your voices. I'm America-bred, Midwest upbringing, no accent. Though, if you listened to me right now how I sound (severe laryngitis),
Yeah I'm Australian (and honest too LOL)
I'm proud of it

D