Notices

Dementia or PAWS ? Put m

Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dementia or PAWS ? Put m

10 different drs say it's anxiety. Therapy says GAD..Primary care says possible dementia..I am almost 5 months along. Dizzy disoriented and my memory is shot..anyone been at this point in PAWS. Or is it just GAD and ADHD talking along with sleep deprivation. Sure would like this to improve. My therapist put me out of work till june to get control of this GAD. My life is locked neutral right now..anyone have any input on this..only way I can stay cam is take an ambient and sleep..😢
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We can't really make a diagnosis for you NoFear, that would be medical advice and we cannot do so.

I'd say this - you only found out you have GAD a couple days ago, right? It's gonna take time to make it better so perhaps jumping to conclusions now might be a bit premature?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When you say "deprivation" do you mean sleep deprivation or feelings of deprivation from alcohol?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know you can't do any medical stuff...but anyone go through this in PAWS?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleep deprivation. I corrected after the ?fact. I just started dreaming partial dreams again 2 nights ago
Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
I know you can't do any medical stuff...but anyone go through this in PAWS?
All the symptoms you have COULD be PAWS, yes..but remember -PAWS is not a medical disease - it's simply a compilation of lots of conditions/symptoms. And we cannot tell you whether or not it's PAWS, Dementia, Anxiety - that would be giving medical advice.

You have been diagnosed with GAD by a mental heath care professional just recently, and multiple medical doctors have told you that they think your symptoms are anxiety related. I would focus on whatever methods or activities your therapist has suggested to deal with the anxiety.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are concerned and want medical causes ruled out, ask your GP to refer you to a neurologist. Peace of mind is worth a lot!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am. Just trying discuss similaritys between this and PAWS. Just trying find some glistening of hope and reason that this will improve some point..
Old 05-13-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been to neurology. EEG shows no seizures. No other input provided other than all circuits test fine
Old 05-13-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. I have GAD and PTSD and those symptoms don't line up with mine, but everyone is different. I have hypoglycemia and your symptoms line up with my experience with that....but again your dr will have to test your blood sugar to know.
My father has alcoholic dementia or Werneke's. The big contributing factor is prolonged Thiamine deficiency....which most alcoholics experience on some level and it can be quite damaging.
If I were you I would get my blood sugar tested, probably a couple of times and get your Thiamine levels looked at.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's crazy but no one has mentioned hypoglycemia except my wife. But my sugar always measure 100..my b1 measures 160 consistently..let me bring up hypoglycemia to my dr..thank you
Old 05-13-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

always listen to your wife!!!

i do want to express empathy on the sleep issues. and i hope those resolve soon! i didn't fare well with Ambien, felt even more out of it the next day!!

do your best right now to be on a consistent schedule.....eating at regular intervals, getting up and going to bed at the same time each day, but allowing for a nap during the day if you feel that tired. when our biorhythms get out of whack, it takes some rigorous effort to get things back in line.

wishing you good luck. stay sober NO MATTER WHAT!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Just trying find some glistening of hope and reason that this will improve some point..
I would think that your GAD diagnosis would be of some comfort as you now have some answers on that side of things. GAD is very much a treatable mental illness and things can certainly improve over time. You said you've only had one meeting with a therapist, so I would assume you'll have more to develop a strategy to make things better.

If you've gone these 5 months undiagnosed it's not surprising that you would feel stuck. It will take time to get better though...I didn't figure out what was going on with my anxiety until well over 2 years into my recovery.