Notices

Emotional Wreck

Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional Wreck

Hello,

I am newly sober, a couple months almost. It would be longer but for a couple dumb gulps. Anyway, I am an emotional basket case. Can anyone relate?? It's like I am feeling everything pent up all at once most of the time. I want to cry and cry and cry. Literally tears will spring forth if I don't consciously hold them back. I want to be alone and cry. I am debating my sanity and wondering if this emotional instability will end. It's hard to take and I don't want it.

Lilly
Old 05-13-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 2 months sober, that's a heck of an accomplishment LostLilly! It's absolutely common to fell out of sorts early in sobriety, there will be good days and bad.

Don't rule out underlying conditions either like depression or anxiety ( or others ). Many of us have those going on while we are drinking, and while quitting certainly helps it's not a solution for those problems. Have you ever done counseling or read any literature on mindfulness/meditation?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you describe pretty "normal" early recovery symptoms!! remember, we are healing physically, mentally and emotionally. and that is going to take time. you won't always feel like you do right now....one day you may find yourself in a near RAGE state, or so dang tired and depressed all you want to do is grab a cat, a blankie and not get out of bed for a week.

i realize we can't always just bust out sobbing wherever and whenever we feel like it - but when you can, ALLOW the tears to come. allow them to fall. let it OUT.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lots of folks on here refer to the first sober period as being an "emotional roller coaster", and it is, for lots of us.
I had tears and anger and sadness and also elation at times, all very intense. I guess I realised that for me, that was all there anyway, I was just drinking to numb the feelings. This insight helped a little. What helped most though was staying sober no matter what I felt and time, more time.
Stay resolute and cry if you need to.
xx
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Early recovery is full of emotional twists & turns so don't feel alone in that aspect

Have you joined the class of May for extra support & other helpful threads ie the 24h thread & the weekenders thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-131-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-welcome.html
Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you're staying sober, LostLilly. You are missed in the Class of March 2016, would love to see you check back in there.

While it very well may be just the ups and downs of early sobriety, I second Scott's suggestion that maybe you go see a doctor/therapist about possible underlying conditions like depression or anxiety. If you have something like this going on and are no longer using alcohol to poorly self-medicate, a good doctor should be able to help you out.

Wishing you the best today. Sorry you're hurting but still glad to see you check in. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you have been so sad. I agree that the alcohol may have been masking an underlying condition like depression or anxiety whose symptoms are now more pronounced.

I hope you will consider a visit to the doctor to see if there is something that can be done to help you feel better.

The good news is that any condition that you may have will be SO much easier to treat and resolve, as long as you stay sober.

And, if it helps, know that there are many of us who support you and who want you to feel better. Sometimes, just knowing you have friends can help....
Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

There are people who claim they didn't have wild mood swings the first few months of sobriety, but I am not sure I believe them. Mine sure were extreme.

They should improve in a couple of months. If they don't, you should consider getting to a doctor. You might have additional issues that can be treated. Or, you could go now and see if you can get something for short-term relief.

Keep up the good work, though! It might feel bad now, but it's a small price to pay in the long run for your freedom!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two weeks sober is terrific! I expect that you will start to feel more balanced soon.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yeah! I can totally relate. It gets so much better though....just keep at it! I remember there were times when I thought I might have to drive myself to the emergency room because I was SO sad and felt so unsafe and unwell. I got through it though and so will you! A drink will never, ever make it any better....and you'll just have to do this all over again. Stick it out. Do something nice for yourself. A hot shower, a gallon of ice cream, some netflix (maybe something funny)? Big hugs to you!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two months sober! Stay sober, it gets better. I also think a visit to your doctor might be a good idea. It might be depression or anxiety, both of which are treatable.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I have lived my whole life with an anxiety disorder/disorders that have proved very resistant to medication asside from sedatives for the panic portion that I do not want to get hooked on. I have a helpful addiction therapist and find AA meetings and talking to others in AA or checking this site helpful. I absolutely drank to escape anxiety, pain, and lack of self love. I have just never had so many emotions or relenting depression. Every day is a minor victory for me right now. I am feeling everything so vividly. Even my dreams are very vivid and constant. Thank you so much for your replies, advise, and helpful links!!

Lilly
Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

48 year old male here, construction contractor. I cried it out (couple times). Let yourself cry. Its ok. We are here.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lilly
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I've been at this trying to get sober thing a while and have achieved many periods over 6 months up to 2 years. Frankly, each time has been a bit different. But yes, usually around 3-5 months I'm all over the place emotionally. The pink cloud of early abstinence (when I'm just glad I'm not dealing with some garbage from my drinking) has worn off and I'm kind of faced with ME and my E-motions. No where to run but to look right at them.
I believe that emotion is energy in motion and so often I would just stop it with alcohol when it got to be too much. In other words, nothing moved on through. Without alcohol all this energy is moving through me and around me and its overwhelming but normal.
Hang in there.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can relate too lily. I'm 28 days sober and feel like I'm just scratching the surface. It's normal to feel this way when you think about how we buried our emotions in our addictions in the past. So let it flow hugs, you are not alone!