Notices

day 4 help

Old 05-13-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 help

Here it is Friday and a beautiful day a head coming. This is my major trigger, this is where I fell off last time. Warm weather and weekends gets me.. I'm headed to work but worried about how to handle 430 when it comes.. usually I'll get off work grab a four pack and half pint and cigarettes and head home with a smile to sit on the porch.. I don't want to fall off like last week.. help please..
Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe try and catch an AA meeting? Back when I occasionally went it was if nothing else, something to do in place of what I'd normally do. Maybe grab a coffee and hear some speakers at a meeting instead?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tonib- I hear your pain! I am on day #3. Here we are on a TGIF--- I, too would participate on drinks on the patio with friends that turned into an all nighter and all weekend bender.
My plan is to find other things to occupy my time, and also to avoid spending time with the friends and family that I would normally be drinking on the patio, etc. An AA meeting if I need it.

Stay strong--- YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some sober exercise after work may be a good idea?
Fresh air with a sober thinking mind.
A time in which to put our thoughts together.
What is really best for me and the ones around me?
MB
Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to an AA meeting. After the meeting pull someone aside and tell them you are fighting alcohol and could they perhaps get a cup of coffee with you and chat? Guarantee people will help you!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Find a good distraction such as going for a walk or a scenic drive. Find something yo used to like to do and do it to start breaking that old habit. You can do it!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you are romanticizing the drink....sitting on the porch, in the sun. Is it really that nice? Do you have negative consequences from your drinking? If you are anything like me the reality of drinking is never good. Best case I'm hungover and depressed, worst case I head into a bender that could last days, endanger myself and lead to physical withdrawal.

Do you have a plan in place for your recovery? Yes, distraction of course. AA, working out....something other than heading home and romanticizing drink. But a long term plan, and clear commitment to never drinking again may help.
Good luck.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, tonib; starting day 5 here, and starting to feel human again...

Last Friday, and every Friday before that one, I'd be drinking before noon and putting away a fifth + of vodka before finally passing out...today I did think, "ya know, I could drink all day today, if I wanted to." And then I thought, "...but that would make me so sad! Finally feeling better, then pissing it all away again; why would I do that to myself?"

So I too will be looking for distractions today, and actively fighting my AV to preserve my true self, and enjoy feeling better! I wish you a good and sober Friday...and Saturday...and beyond!

Arp
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Step one - don't buy any beer on the way home from work. Take a different route home and pick up some good food instead maybe. You could go to an AA meeting instead too.

Bottom line, have a plan in place to do something other than drink. Write it down if you have to, put it on your phone, tape it on the dashboard of your car and move it to the refridgerator when you get home.

Log on here too - it's a lot better to talk about it than actually do it ( drinking that is! )
Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't want to fall off like last week.

So don't.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you don't want to drink based on your acceptance of the facts you won't drink
Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first few weekends are hard, no question. "firsts" are hard in life no matter what they are. Except the first time you win the lottery, that's probably not hard.

I used to set up my schedule to be done early Friday afternoon and drink until Saturday night. Thought is was fun, looking back, some of it was fun, most of it was self imposed punishment.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So here it is I'm about to punch out for work....
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm with you tonib! Only day 3 for me and would like Also like sit on my porch and drink. But I'm not. I'm trying my damnedest to pull through this. Had ice cream (before dinner!) and watching tv. I never eat ice cream (because I'm always drinking). Don't stop to buy the beer. It's not worth it.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Swing by Michael's or another craft shop. Pick up an adult coloring book and some nice colored pencils. That will keep you busy for hours.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I stopped by subway and bought a tuna sandwich and downed it like know tomorrow. Now I'm laying in the couch relaxing but really just want to go to bed. So far so good. In a few hours I have to go get my son from work which will be before the liquor store close. Normally I'll stop for my sec liquor full up but I'm not going to.