Notices

I was going to drink today

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was going to drink today

So today I had an interview and was nervous before hand so I took a xanax. Interview went find and afterwards I desperately just want to have a few beers and cigarettes.. I was still a little high from the xanax and decided to call and ask how long it stays active in my system before I can drink. The pharmacist said not to drink because I was so groggy already.. anyways the point is I was going to. Tomorrow is Friday and it's going to be very difficult.. thinking maybe I should just take another xanax tomorrow to help me not drink..any advice is so needed. Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please be careful with the attitude of "maybe I will take xanex to make me not drink". That is like saying, "Oh if I do heroin I won't drink so technically I am in recovery". While the Xanex may be a legit prescription from a doctor, using it in place of drinking is very slippery territory. Xanex is highly addictive on its own without that mind set of replacing one thing for another and the withdrawels from it are horrendous- seizures and everything else that goes along with coming off a substance.

Do you have a recovery plan and a support network? Have you thought about going to a substance abuse counselor to talk about your drinking problem and your tendency to feel the need to take some substance, even if it is prescribed by a doctor in order not to drink?

While it is great that you are not drinking, try not to fall into another addiction while trying to stop this one. It is something many of us have done and struggled with and in the end wished we never even tried.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Um Xanax is a very addictive drug. Benzos, simply put, are alcohol in pill form. They act on the brain in the same way alcohol does....hence the reason we are given them to detox. Kind of fakes the brain out in order to prevent seizures and/or strokes. Just read around about benzo addiction....it's tough, maybe worse than alcohol in some respects (the only way to safely detox is to taper.....which is brutal). With all due respect I would submit one really isn't in recovery if one is replacing one drug with another.

Interviewing on Xanax? That must have been intersting. I get the horrible munchies on Xanax....just adding that for whatever reason. Maybe take a look at what your recovery goals are?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For awhile near the end of my run, benzos where straight up interchangeable with alcohol. I was to the point where it didn't even matter which one I had on hand.
The only difference- Xanax/ativan/ klonopin, etc. have no odor.
Prescription or not, they really are pretty much alcohol in a pill.

For a couple of weeks into rehab I was leaning pretty hard on the old ativan (legally scripted). After awhile I realized my cravings for alcohol were not going to simmer down until I cut it out. They were a complete horror to quit. I went into withdrawal enough to make me think I was losing my mind. I kept that a secret from my family and counselors, smiling when I thought I was supposed to, while in a state of panic (prob a bit risky...).

With a doctor's go-ahead I could have a script pretty quickly...but I'm done with that see-saw now. Sometimes I'm anxious. Sometimes I'm not. But I almost never panic now. It used to happen every other day, usually while I was supposed to be sleeping.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a prescription for Xanax, but I use it occasionally when very anxious. I have never used it in excess. I think if we are prescribed certain medications for anxiety, depression, or any other mental health issue and we are working with and following doctor's orders that is ok. The problem is when people use them recreationally, or don't follow their prescription dosage.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some really good advice here Toni. I'm glad you didn't drink but it sounds like you're using the xanax for the same reasons you drank - as folks have noted that's a pretty slippery slope....

D
Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

If you are getting high it was too large a dose for me. Slippery slope indeed. I take it as prescribed and my doctor has me go on medication breaks so I don't have to increase my dose or worry about physical dependency. In my case I take it for anxiety from a neurological disorder. Ever since I had my service dog my usage has declined as he notifies me when my anxiety will hit so my meds kick in when I feel my attack is just coming on. I also do Yoga and meditation to reduce my anxiety. Doing these things keep me from relying on my Xanax as a substitute for alcohol.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you didn't drink
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a prescription for Ativan which is in the same family, I use this stuff very, very sparingly. Benzo's become very addictive, desperate hard to get off of and our bodies build a tolerance to the point we take it just to stop the withdrawal as our bodies get to the point it thinks it need it.

Perhaps consider some other safer methods and use the medication in emergency, I find meditation works wonders, no one knows when I am doing certain meditations except for me and in the end I grew stronger and felt a lot better.

Andrew
Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Want to chime in to offer an alternative solution.

I made it off booze med free. I had to. Would have lost my job.

Thanks to SR i knew i would heal and i did. I am still a bit jacked up, but 1000x better than 1 year ago.

Thanks.