Can't get my dad out of my head

Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Can't get my dad out of my head

Hello everyone. I know I have not been here much because of my busy schudule and that but I knew that someone would understand. my dad is not doing good. He has been working all day then he comes home and drinks down in the garage til 7:00 or so then goes to bed in the family room. He has been not feeling good the past few mornings but if he wont drink maybe he would not be sick. My dad has never went to watch me march and i asked him and he said he did not want to watch me march and that was two weeks ago and I am still caring that around with me. In two weeks there is parent night when the parents walk across the field with you and I am not sure if my dad is going? I want him there so much but he may not go I do not know how to deal with this right now. Can anyone help.
Love,
Shana, 18
Old 09-24-2004, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Shana))))

I hope you will try really hard to let this go and know that your dads HP is with him. I do not know why but, often times it seems like if our As know we want them to do something they will resist and the more they resist the more we persist.....

Perhaps you are looking for your dad to demonstrate that he loves you by going to this parents event. But, honey if you make it a test of his love you will both be a looser in this..... believe me when I tell you this he is kicking himself for being such an a$$....take your hand off of this and let God work on him. Remember you are powerless. It is not about you Shana it is not your fault the only thing you can change about this is your reaction......
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Survivor

Hi There,

I know how it feels to watch parents suffer from the disease. It is hurtful and harsh. You have to separate yourself from their issues though. It is hard to not think about them but just be sure that you find out ways to talk about it with people who understand and find others to care for you. It is excellent that you are willing to share with others and seek help.

~Def
Old 09-25-2004, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish I was near Ohio, so I could go!

Do you have an uncle, grand father etc you could ask?

What does you mom say?

njriverman******.com
Old 09-25-2004, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shana,

I am in Ohio and I know about this Parents Night stuff because my son is a junior and plays football. He has a friend thats mom is all messed up on drugs and he never knows weather she will show up for his stuff. It is really heartbreaking because parents should support thier kids..especially when they are doing something positive like you are. Splendra gave you some good advice...very good!! He is suffering in his illness right now. You go on and march your butt off...and keep your head up!!!

This is your own cheering section from SoberRecovery
Old 09-26-2004, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I know i can't do anything right now. I love my dad and I know in my heart that is loves me. And Splendra you are right I am doing it as a if he loves me thing. I should not do that to him or me. I was driving myself crazy with this for awhile but I am doing better now. Thanks for you words and i will march my butt off this weekend is homecoming and i can't wait til Saturday for t he dance.
Love,
Shana, 18
Old 09-26-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shana-
We will be your SR cheering section. Yeah Shana! March your heart out. Let us know how it goes. (Want to hear about the dance too) My daughter is in Band and her Dad does not make it to her "shining moments" either but I do.
You Do Good Girl!!
Love ya,
Kat
Old 09-26-2004, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

The thing you have to remember is that he isn't doing it TO you, he's just doing it. I had to learn - the hard way - that I shouldnt and couldnt take someone else's behavior as a personal attack.... they are just doing what alcoholics and addicts do. Its really sad and it hurts, but it's not about you and it's CERTAINLY not your fault.

I'll be there in the SR cheering section too - waving pompons and whooping my fool head off for ya!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all the support. I needed that. things this week are going great. Hope to be here more than I have been
Love,
Shana
Old 09-27-2004, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

from another one of your cheering section in ohio - we'll all be waiting to hear about your great weekend!

hugs - cwohio
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Shana,
Can someone video tape it for him? I don't know why he won't go, but I'm sure that it's not because he isn't proud of you. Maybe you could bring the show to him. Just a thought. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-29-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks Magic. Right now if my dad does not go then to me he is missing it then. I did not my part in asking so it is in his court now. So if he does not came then i am going to have to live with that. My mom will be there and that is okay with my right now. That is not til next week so I am just trying to take one day at a time and I am for right now.
Love,
Shana, 18
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Shana,

You sound so wise for such a young girl. Have a great time and be safe.

Hugs...Lady