Notices

Lucky number 13!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Lucky number 13!

Day 13 and I feel good physically, but am on a rocky road emotionally. During the day I am ok because I have to concentrate on work. But after I get home and my thoughts are allowed to roam, I find myself depressed and unmotivated to do anything except read. Then I feel worthless because I am lazy and not doing anything. I think alcohol dulled these feelings and now I am forced to confront them. I am already medicated for depression. And I have a therapist. I just have to figure out how to not be so lazy when I get home.

Day 13 though! No cravings or urges or thoughts about drinking.

Bug
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I read a lot but, I don't consider myself being lazy. There is a time for everything. You will find the motivation you need. Maybe being at home is a place to unwind. Your motivation might be somewhere else outside the home.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I read a lot but, I don't consider myself being lazy. There is a time for everything. You will find the motivation you need. Maybe being at home is a place to unwind. Your motivation might be somewhere else outside the home.
Oh I hope you didn't think I meant readers are lazy. Not at all! I use the excuse of reading a good book to avoid cooking and cleaning. That makes me lazy. Plus, to be honest here, I hate cooking and cleaning!

Bug
Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd give yourself a break - day 13 is still very early in the process. You were pretty sick there too...

All will be well, in time. Try and not leap too far ahead just now

D.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still early in recovery, what I did was go back to hobbies that I love, walking, hiking with my dog, boating, fishing, going to parks or visiting friends which I can do sober

All the best
Andrew
Old 05-10-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reading isn't lazy! Whenever I am reading at home it is part of my homework for school and I consider it productive! In early sobriety just don't take that drink on a daily basis. You can do it!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd give yourself a break - day 13 is still very early in the process. You were pretty sick there too...

All will be well, in time. Try and not leap too far ahead just now

D.
I was sick, both physically (for an infection that lasted ten days) and from alcohol. I am slowly recovering, but I guess not fast enough for the husband (fighting about me being withdrawn, not engaging and for not doing any work at home.) I think he thinks that since I have embraced my problem, committed to a plan, and have stopped drinking that I am going to overcome ALL of my faults overnight. Not happening. I am tackling things slowly so they stick. Too much fighting. I hate getting yelled at and I hate that I yell back. Self medicating with alcohol for many reasons. One day at a time. One issue at a time. Concentrating on myself.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't think of yourself as lazy, please. You are going through something extremely difficult, and just the fact that you are working is commendable. I'd like to slap your husband with a frozen cod for giving you a hard time, you don't deserve that. I'm proud of you!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Other people often expect quick changes, and to be fair, my family had waited a long time for me to stop drinking, so they had expectations. My advice is to do what you can. Try to do a little each day but don't get overwhelmed. And, never give up reading.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Earthsteps, you are doing great. Try not to be hard on yourself. Easier said than done, as I feel the same day.

I'm in early sobriety and want to get more done but am also sick physically. (I have been plagued by daily migraines, sober or not, for many many months).

I feel bad that the house and yard are a mess but I have to step back and remind myself that at least I am Sober, still making it to work, and caring for my baby. I'm seeing a doctor for the headaches and hopefully moving in the right direction.

I understand how you feel, but I think with time, you and I both will get the energy and motivation and health to be able to do things that make us happy. And by the way, reading is good and does make me happy as well. So read away! Best wishes!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know I'm really hard on myself in general. When I'm sober, I think of everyone but myself. When I'm drunk I think of only myself. The trick for me is to find a balance so I don't feel the need to go off the rails just to get some ME time. Wrong kind of me time.

I make lists and try to complete what I commit to each day....keeping them realistic.

As far as cooking. Maybe make a big pot of soup that you guys can eat for several days....all you have to do is add a salad each night.