Notices

All inclusive holiday

Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All inclusive holiday

I am dependent on alcohol and have started to see a psychiatrist who has recommended a home detox. I am also due to go on an all inclusive holiday for 10 days at the end of May and don't want to give in to temptation. Any meds I can take to reduce cravings as I will be surrounded by people drinking.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This really is perfect question for your psychiatrist. They are experts in medications and which ones might help your efforts. Good luck with your recovery efforts!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

are you willing to consider NOT going? after a home detox of however many days, taking yourself off to an all inclusive resort with lots of drinking is NOT going to be any FUN whatsover........you'll be a couple weeks sober, and nobody feels that great right away. to me, it would be a waste of money at this point in time......and not setting you up for the best of SUCCESS with sobriety.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickenvindaloo View Post
I am dependent on alcohol and have started to see a psychiatrist who has recommended a home detox. I am also due to go on an all inclusive holiday for 10 days at the end of May and don't want to give in to temptation. Any meds I can take to reduce cravings as I will be surrounded by people drinking.
I would get the opinion of a medical doctor before a home detox. I really can't stress to people enough that are trying to quit alcohol this. Detox can kill you. You can die from it. And and therapist who recommended doing it at home makes me raise an eyebrow. As far as the trip that all inclusive it sounds nice. But if booze is gonna come freely in wouldn't go. I couldn't be around booze of any kind period for 6 months. Would not even go to a gas station. Couldn't. When your just getting sober for a short duration of time it is so critical to do everything you can do to tip the odds on your favor and steer clear of the fire that burned you untill you have more experience fighting and winning over the cravings. I am a former relapse King. And one of the many biggest problems I had was being sober for not too long and thikkng I was cool to be around it. Falied at every attempt. I wish you luck either way!! Hang in there!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The problem I have is my family are looking forward to going and I can't let my wife and daughters down. It will be a chance to rebuild bridges and the holiday is already paid for.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here, as far as meds go definitely seek the advice of a medical doctor or a psychiatrist. Keep in mind though that there is no drug that will simply "remove" cravings or the desire to drink - that is something that takes time and work and dedication to sobriety. Meds can certainly help, but there is no magic pill that will make your addiction simply "go away".
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know you probably don't want to hear this but everyone is right!
Going on a holiday like that is a bad decision - even if you have will power of steel the whole experience is going to make you miserable!

It depends how serious you are about getting sober.
There is no magic pill to make cravings go away!
The craving is mostly in your head.
I'm not an expert at all but I'm on the early stages of recovery and know that it's best to keep things simple!

I hope everything goes well for you whatever you decide x
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish you the very best, doc is the best person to ask on the meds. I tried this a little over three years ago (all inclusive) I had been sober for 30 +/- months and I slipped within two days, ended up in the hospital as soon as we landed in Canada, I was told as close to death as they have seen. My GF at the time did drink and knew I couldn't but not a great support., I decided it best that we break up.

I am leaving Sunday for an all inclusive with my better half that does not drink, this resort is booze free and I am really looking forward to it as I have never had an extended holiday where I stayed sober.

Andrew

I
Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a medication called Antabuse. If you take it, and drink, you will get sick, like throwing up etc.
It's not really long term solution, but more of a short term thingy (like going on a trip).
You can ask your doctor about it.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is going to be discouraging but there's no way I would have been able to do what you're proposing at this point in your recovery.

If you feel there's no way you can cancel, can you at least change the plan from all inclusive?.

If you're going you're going to need a darn good plan, and total commitment to it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

regardless of whether you do AA or not it might be a good idea to check out the local meetings while you're there?

I'd use anything I can.

D
Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickenvindaloo View Post
The problem I have is my family are looking forward to going and I can't let my wife and daughters down. It will be a chance to rebuild bridges and the holiday is already paid for.
whats more important- sobriety, which in it you will become a better husband,father, and all around family member and will have plenty of time to rebuild bridges
or
going so you dont let people down but end up drinking, which would prolly let people down and make this trip miserable.

one thing im greatful for is others' feeling let down by me isnt on my shoulders.
me being let down by others is on my shoulders.

seriously, think how insane it is to even think about taking a drug to maybe not drink just to please others.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

one thing im greatful for is others' feeling let down by me isnt on my shoulders.
me being let down by others is on my shoulders.
lI like this saying. It is the worst feeling to see the hurt and disappointment in your loved ones eyes.

I think your family would understand if you couldn't go to an all-inclusive. I think even to them, your sobriety is most important.

Maybe you could go on a cruise. You are not allowed to bring your own booze, and alcohol is very expensive. Just give your wife all the spending money, and tell the staff not to serve you alcohol. And I've been told they hold AA meetings on the cruise ship.
That way everyone can have fun.
Just a suggestion.
Because I know if I went on an all-inclusive, I would drink hands down.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would not go on an all-inclusive at that point in recovery. I know you feel like you'll be letting down family members, but do you think you will be in a holiday mood with the stress of alcohol everywhere?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butcher70 View Post
I would get the opinion of a medical doctor before a home detox. I really can't stress to people enough that are trying to quit alcohol this. Detox can kill you. You can die from it. And and therapist who recommended doing it at home makes me raise an eyebrow. As far as the trip that all inclusive it sounds nice. But if booze is gonna come freely in wouldn't go. I couldn't be around booze of any kind period for 6 months. Would not even go to a gas station. Couldn't. When your just getting sober for a short duration of time it is so critical to do everything you can do to tip the odds on your favor and steer clear of the fire that burned you untill you have more experience fighting and winning over the cravings. I am a former relapse King. And one of the many biggest problems I had was being sober for not too long and thikkng I was cool to be around it. Falied at every attempt. I wish you luck either way!! Hang in there!
I agree. Once I had about 2 weeks sober, and decided to meet up with this guy I was dating and really liked at a bar. I wasnt planning on drinking, but once I got there and someone asked what I would like to drink, I ended up drinking. I got wasted and I kept on drinking the entire night at the bar. I ended up drinking even more at home once we left the bar, and some more when I woke up in the morning. I kept on going all day. It was right back to insanity.

I got back on track after many failed attempts. I am now just over one year sober. When I was 4 months sober, I took a trip to another city to visit my best friend. She fully knew I was sober, and did not encourage me to drink. It was her birthday, and we went to dinner with a bunch of friends. I had a diet coke, while everybody drank.. I kept myself busy with food. By this time, I was attending AA meetings every day and went to two meetings during that weekend trip. Once the dinner was over, we all went to a club. My best friend insisted that I go, since she wanted me to see the place. I got there, and I felt so out of place and uncomfortable. I wanted to drink, and fit in. I hung around maybe for 15 minutes, said goodbye and went back to my friend's apartment to sleep. What I remember from that event was that I was uncomfortable, annoyed, resentful and miserable. It was not fun at all but I did stay sober.

What everyone else is saying that while you may be able to go and stay sober, it will be hard. Your trip is this month, so you will be in very early sobriety.

Even now, I never go to bars or clubs. The only reason people go to these places is to drink. I have been at my current job for almost a year, and I never went to a happy hour with coworkers. Protecting our sobriety should be our absolute #1 priority.

Things will get better and you will slowly get used to being around alcohol. I just took a trip right around my one year anniversary, and it was a great vacation. I was at the beach, lots of people drinking. I kept ordering mocktails and various fruit drinks. I know what one single drink can and will do to me. I cannot afford to lose sight of that. Believe it or not, I wasnt even resentful of others drinking, because they dont drink like me and I dont drink like them.

I just want to say that its incredibly important to protect your sobriety and take the necessary steps to ensure you will stay sober always, but especially in early sobriety.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I second the Antabuse suggestion....if you have to go, go with Antabuse. You won't drink without getting sick. I know I would not want to be sick during my vacation!! Best Wishes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you know that going on an all inclusive vacation when you are newly sober is not a good idea. If you are hell bent on going on this vacation, having a plan in place will help raise the chance of success.

Have you talked to your psych about this trip? Can you speak to your family about it, if it is your sobriety or a vacation do you think they would truly pick a vacation? Your family could always go with out and then they do not need to miss our because of your addiction.

Only YOU can choose to not drink each day and stay sober. Only YOU know what you need to do in order to reach true recovery. That sure is a huge amount of temptation right when you will be newly sober.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm assuming that there must be a good reason for you to start seeing a psychiatrist and your wanting to put down the drink at this time. Unfortunately, I can imagine that some psychiatrist would be okay with, or even endorse, an all-inclusive, ten-day vacation. "Go ahead! Have a great time! You've already stopped drinking!" Not all psychologists, psychiatrists or social workers are well-versed in addictions. Some have virtually no formal training or education in the treatment of addictions at all.

I couldn't have taken that trip for at least a full year in my sobriety. In fact, I didn't trust myself to take a trip under any conditions. And I'm sure you can guess why.

It sounds as though you've made your decision to go. You better pick up some good tools in order to help you to survive your vacation.

Find a way to make your detox meaningful and worth the effort.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The trouble with the antabuse is that you're still going to need to wake up wanting to be sober that day so you take it properly.

I'm a couple of years sober and like to think my sobriety is pretty solid, but I wouldn't how on an all inclusive. One, because it's a temptation that I can do without, and two, because I would be severely restless, irritable and discontent surrounded by loads of drunk people for all that time.

You say you want to build bridges. Being there with them drunk, or miserable (which I suspect you will be in that environment ) is not really the best way to build bridges. They may well want to go on holiday, but I imagine that more than that, they want you sober and recovered. Why not let them go on the all inclusive, while you focus on something more recovery centered?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello,

I'm glad you have made the decision to stop drinking. I agree with everyone about the vacation. Is there any possible way to work with a travel agent to change the trip to somewhere that requires you to pay for alcohol? I am thinking back to my honeymoon which was all inclusive, and alcohol was everywhere all day. It is not impossible, but would be very difficult in early sobriety.

I am still avoiding outings in bars, even though I mainly drank at home, I don't want to deal with everyone around me drinking yet. Maybe in another few months, but not yet.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your help. I have decided not to go.