Notices

Feeling numb

Old 05-08-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling numb

In early sobriety does anyone ever just sit there and feel numb for long periods.? I'm sure it's just my body just adjusting to being chemical free but it's disheartening to feel this way after a few good days.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is that for me, stayed in bed until 1pm and could barely move at that point. This is my third day clean and I had to work at 7am on my second day and was past dead. Maybe not numb. But whole body SORE. I think it becomes better with time, have to recharge.. Wishing you the best. I am still dead tired.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there are lots of ups and downs in early recovery. Your body is beginning to heal and so is your mind and spirit. It's a lot to take in and sometimes rest is a good plan.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would remind myself over and over that I was an addict for 10 years. 10 years of daily abuse of my body and that I had no right to except my body to just bounce back in a day or two, hell even a week or two after I put it through hell for so long.

Everyone always expects to get sober and the next day to feel amazing. I wish it were true, but if it was then we wouldn't relapse so much in early sobriety and well..life just doesn't work that way.

Continue to push forward, the longer you are sober the better you will feel.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Lethargic is the best way I describe it. Feel good and want to do things because I'm sober, then as I start moving I get sluggish and sit back down. Taking others advice this time around and just resting as much as possible.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

It could have something to do with this: Understanding Addiction: How Addiction Hijacks the Brain