Notices

GonnaGetSober's introduction

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

GonnaGetSober's introduction

Greetings all,

I was directed here by a fellow Redditor in Recovery and wanted to introduce myself.

I am VERY new to the road down recovery. Well, maybe that isn't entirely true, I guess maybe I should say that up until now I thought I was strong enough to get through this on my own. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. It took a lot of self-introspection for me to realize that what I was doing wasn't working and that my addiction had more power over me than I wanted to admit.

I would describe my experience with addiction as moderate. I have been a meth addict for close to two years and would consider myself a moderately heavy to heavy user for that time. My cousin was a long-time meth addict who has just recently celebrated eight years sober, and I was in a long-term relationship with a Heroin addict. I am currently married to a meth addict who will be joining me on his own road to recovery. I had not yet discovered my love for meth and had a front-row seat to see the paths my cousin and significant other at the time were heading down. That would be enough of a reason to "Just Say No" for many people but the first time I used I was convinced that I was the exception to the rule and that it would never get the best of me.

As far as my goals and what I hope to achieve through SMART Recovery, as mentioned above, I'm only hours old into my recovery and the first time I have sought out support, so my answer right this very second is I guess I don't really know. I want to get to a point in my sobriety where I am strong enough to say no, and for the sake of my marriage I would like (well, both of us, really) to successfully eliminate our enabling behaviors. I would also like to learn more about better coping with cravings and triggers. It all sounds great right now but it seems like it's all very far away right now. I am tired of isolating myself from the sober people in my life, my support group, because try as they might, they can't REALLY understand what I'm going through and I am excited about connecting with recovering addicts regardless of how long they've been on the wagon, with the ultimate final destination being one of the "long timers" who will be there to support others just beginning their journey.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard GonnaGetSober

you'll find a lot of support, understanding and encouragement here here

D
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome GGS Congratulations on making the choice to get sober!

I'm about 10 months sober and I spend a lot of time reading and posting on this board. I've learned a lot from the people here and I'm sure you will too. It's a rare look into the day by day ups and downs that other addicted people struggle with. And lots of strong support as well. Glad you're here!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done for getting here GGS, keep us updated if you need any help. We're a supportive bunch.

Echoing what fantail said, reading posts and connecting with fellow addicts on this forum is what's keeping me sober.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello, Welcome GGS
Old 05-08-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome. I have my certificate from my training as a SMART Facilitator. Now that I have 5 years behind me I am seriously considering starting another meeting in my town. Its a great form of recovery and it always makes me smile when I see newcomers have heard of it. The more options for recovery the more people will find the one that works for them.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome! Come join us in the May 2016 class.

Bug
Old 05-08-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

and for the record.... I think a more objective classification of your relationship with addiction might be much closer to "Significant" or "becoming quite serious".

"moderate"..... well, you've been addicted to meth for 2 years. Meth - at ALL - is quite serious.

In relationship with heroin and meth addicts....

well, look; I'm not saying this to judge you but to offer perspective. Meth addiction is a big thing.

I look back on all the years of my various drug and alcohol use and even when I did begin to admit that it was maybe 'a little too much' or 'kind of becoming a problem' - I never really gave it the weight that it deserved.

With the benefit of a sober perspective, I now look back on all those years and all that abuse and wonder how in the h-e-l-l I justified it. How could I not have seen how awful it all was.

So I offer this to you not to make you feel badly... but to reinforce your decision. Embracing a clean and sober life RIGHT NOW before you slip into the truly dismal, deeply-despairing, perhaps-irrecoverable places that follow will be a tremendous gift to yourself and everyone you care for.

Glad you found us.