Notices

Reflection

Old 05-06-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Step One. “We admitted we were powerless over alcohol— that our lives had become unmanageable.”

This seems like such an easy step in AA. I've been thinking about this quite a bit since the meeting last night. This was the topic at the meeting I went to tonight. I realize I have a whole lot of work to do on me.

I know when I drink I can be a very mean and hateful person. I know in my heart that's not the real me. I have said and done so many things I wish I could take back. I can't though. One thing that finally sunk in tonight is I have to forgive myself and start learning how to love myself. Learning how to live my life as me is going to take time and will be a process. I've never lived my life as "me". I was always "mom" or "wife". After my divorce and my child left home, I was left feeling like I didn't have a purpose or identity. Before long I found it was fun to party and drink. Little did I know that was the beginning of the hardest 5 years of my life.

I had some really fun times. I also had some really bad times. All of the bad times correspond with excessive alcohol consumption. I wish I never would have started drinking. However, like a guy at AA said last night, once a cucumber turns into a pickle it can never be a cucumber again. Now that I have developed a drinking problem (aka alcoholic), there is no changing back into a non problem drinker. I can't moderate. I am powerless over it.

I've successfully pushed everyone away from me to avoid being hurt. That has caused more pain than being hurt by a person. Being left with no one and trying to pick up the pieces and become a happy well adjusted person is hard. This didn't happen over night and it's not going to get better over night. I have a hard road to walk, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I've decided AA is needed for me. I am going to start working the steps and find a sponsor. I do not want to let alcohol control my life anymore. It's killing me slowly and painfully.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. Your self awareness is fantastic. You absolutely can get your life back, take it slowly.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this, Sinderos.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are developing a plan. That's a good start!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there sin..
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Sinderos
Old 05-06-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you're working through it, Sinderos!