Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Teen Challenge Thrift Stores (SE USA area) -fighting teen addiction

Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last weekend my friend & I stumbled into one of these thrift stores, not knowing anything about it.

https://teenchallengesuperthrift.cc/why-superthrift/

It was one of the best shopping days we've had. The store was so organized, so clean & every employee -while young- had such an amazing positive attitude that you couldn't help but notice. We found great bargains - not the least of which was a dog-eared copy of Codependent No More & the companion workbook for Al-Anon's 12 Steps for 25 cents each. Score!

I did not know until getting home & reading their website that they are an organization established to help teens in need of recovery from addiction. While it's a bit further of a drive for us, I'll be going out of my way to shop there whenever possible because I can't think of a better place for my money to go. If you live in an area that has one of these stores, it might be worth checking out! (unfortunately, I think they are only in S. Carolina, Georgia, Florida)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It kind of looks like they might be on the West Coast also and perhaps New England, too. I found a site containing construction bids for a "Teen Challenge Super Thrift Store" in Milwaukee--bids closed 9/2015. Nothing more in my area.

Guess I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything about this hits the news in the future! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is not only a teen challenge program for men here where I live, but also a thrift store. It is very good, I agree. It's only 5 mins away from my work.

Sometimes the teen challenge men all show up to Celebrate Recovery. I've enjoyed getting to know some of these people, and some of their testimonies have been amazing to hear. It's a wonderful program.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's even better you guys! The site I linked only showed stores in the states I listed..... but I only used the site on their business card. It's possible that they have slightly different sites/titling in different parts of the country.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hopeful-how cool!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Man, that brings back memories. When I was in Jr. High (late 60s) I was very involved in your church youth group, and I went to hear one of the founders, Nicky Cruz, speak. He has a pretty inspiring story, Run, Baby, Run. He's still around, though he's in his 70s now.

As far as I know, they're a pretty legit group with no scandals I ever heard of (and these types of organizations are, unfortunately, sometimes prone to those).
Old 05-05-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Um, I meant to say I was involved in OUR church youth group, not "your" group.