Notices

Having a cruddy day

Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a cruddy day

I've been going nonstop since I woke up late - no real break in the action. And I am overwelmed with work load to the point it paralyzes me. I'm trying my damn seat to keep my head afloat but in one person. I'm new to supervising. Setting up a new office. On boarding another new person. And feels like no matter how much I'm doing more is always expected.

I want to cry and I want a drink. I may cry but I won't drink even though my AV says it'd help right now. She is a big old witch and she is getting on my nerves.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your Supervisor position!! Yes the stress is greater but your deserved awards will be greater too. Be proud of your accomplishments! I remember I was scared to death in my first Supervisor position too. But in time I started to relax and realized my performance and capabilities had been pushed to higher levels before.

Hang in there, it will get better!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath, maybe a short walk, have faith in you and you can do this, gets easier every day, much like recovery.

Andrew
Old 05-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dime View Post
Congrats on your Supervisor position!! Yes the stress is greater but your deserved awards will be greater too. Be proud of your accomplishments! I remember I was scared to death in my first Supervisor position too. But in time I started to relax and realized my performance and capabilities had been pushed to higher levels before. Hang in there, it will get better!
thanks. T isn't just the supervising I was a team of one performing four distinct jobs for a year. Now I have help and the person is great but now I have the joy of when someone goes to my boss about my staff having to deal with it. Along with my boss reprioritizing my work which is fine. But I'm overwelmed. And there is no end in sight.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Breathe. Try to relax a bit. It will get better.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
I'm trying my damn seat to keep my head afloat but in one person.
You only have to tread water until quitting time. Stay strong.

That is, if you are capable of leaving the stress of work at work. My wife can't. She frets all hours of the night about her job. I tell her, to no avail, "Hey, you have all day tomorrow at work to worry about work. Don't worry about it in bed. That's for sleeping."
Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You only have to tread water until quitting time. Stay strong. That is, if you are capable of leaving the stress of work at work. My wife can't. She frets all hours of the night about her job. I tell her, to no avail, "Hey, you have all day tomorrow at work to worry about work. Don't worry about it in bed. That's for sleeping."
sorry for all the typos. Stupid touch screen.

I do agree with that and I try to. Problem is most of the day I'm in meetings and when I'm not in constantly interrupted in cubicle land. And when I need to write it takes twenty minutes to get in a groove and by then I'm interrupted. Igh
Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like your day started bad.... woke up late? Well that can throw you off ....

But maybe you could use a short break .... maybe take 15 minutes for yourself and grab something to eat or a cup of tea....

Find a way to regain the control over YOUR time.

Take a walk for a few minutes.......
Old 05-04-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I just can't seem to get s breather - and every time I start to get in a groove it feels like the other shoe drops.

Looking forward to a calm dinner date with my husband tonight.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, ICDB. You can make it. Dealing with work stress/demands i s tough and I can totally relate to that feeling of just wanting to catch a break somewhere, somehow and being face with one problem after another and putting out fires as you go along. Being a supervisor is challenging at times! Ugh.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a sort of cruddy day yesterday...just wasn't feeling very good and almost called in sick, but didn't and pushed through...Now, I need to call my son because he rescued a baby kitten and needs some pointers on how to take care of it and nurse it along....it's like having a new baby in the family!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok - now I'm strategizing how to tackle the real problem. For example on my work calendar tomorrow I have meetings for 5 hours of the 7 I'm there. And who knows what else will crop up. So I don't know how or when in to get all the work done when I'm in mtgs all day.

I'm going to start blocking time in a recurring basis for certain things on certain days so I have time set aside for predictable ongoing activities.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your new job role........one thing at a time x it will all come good, soon you will be managing that office with your eyes shut........keep strong, kick that witch in to touch x
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok-I'm gonna vent a little here...knowing that you understand. The other night one of the people I was "in charge" of had this "I don't give a rip attitude"....that just totally doesn't 'fly' with me and it's NOT OKAY!, (RIGHT?) OK, so I could feel myself getting worked up about this and I could FEEL it in my body as it was tensing up and stuff. What could I do? Well, first of all I went to trusted co-worker who has a similar approach to having high standards like me and vented to her about it I knew she understood and I could trust her/confide in her. She got it and it did help to just be able to vent. Did it SOLVE the attitude problem? Hmmm. Only time will tell, but I was able to go directly to that person and address the issues without tearing her down/tearing things down. You can teach people and train people who are competent enough to do things and get good skills, but you cannot always "fix" an "attitude". Some things are just "unacceptable" to me...yet I find myself reverting back to the serenity prayer....
Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're adjusting to your new job and getting things figured out. I hope you enjoy your dinner date tonight.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A cruddy day turned into a pleasant evening :-). We had a nice dinner. I saw an interesting drink on the "spirit free" menu and thought I'd try that rather than a soda... It was delicious... Club soda, mint, lemon, coconut water, and mottled raspberries. Dinner was also delicious and somewhere we normally wouldn't go. We did a little furniture browsing and got dessert.

I also find it interesting to people watch at restaurants,me specially when you see people who obviously have had a few and trying very hard to walk to the bathroom without looking intoxicated. This is because that used to be me and seeing that simple act of people concentrating so hard on walking straight is eye opening.

And I never want to go back to that.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a day like that today as well, at one point five people called my name at the exact same time, and I had joked with my secretary a few minutes before saying I felt like a mouse on one of those wheels today. Being in a supervisory role can be stressful at times, and you will always have something else to do. I have found that I need to find a stopping point , I will never be done with everything, and that is ok.

I love my job, even on the crazy days. I hope you will soon too!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad your bad start turned into a good end to your day ICDB. Congrats on another strong day that you didn't drink!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things got better ICDB

D