"Graduating from marriage"

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Graduating from marriage"

This morning, I read a pretty cool little article

Graduating from marriage in Japan - CNN.com

about the concept of "sotsukon" in Japan.

It is when couples who are still in love decide to live separated in their sunset years so they can pursue their dreams as individuals. They are not divorced or anything like that. So, I am trying to remember, where did I get the idea that marriage meant sacrifice and losing my own individuality, as if I HAD to merge with this other person and forget who I am?

I just love, love this idea, that people give each other so much freedom, that they keep evolving as individuals. And you do not really have to wait for your sunset years.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

healthy--that is really interesting! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny to me how at the end it talks about how Japanese men are afraid of it and thinking they should start to treat their wives better by listening to them and helping with housework.

I was thinking that, when most people flounder and lose themselves in marriages, then cheat or leave and hurt everyone--what if we took a little care of ourselves along the way instead? I think at the end is interesting, but in the middle, if we continually choose "spouse" over dreams and interests, what if there were periodic bouts of individual time to cultivate your own interests while still in love? The apart time brings you closer. I think the most healthy marriages have that sprinkled throughout. My sister has a marriage like this.

Thanks for the read.