resume skills - es&h

Old 05-03-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

resume skills - es&h

Somewhere along the timeline of recovery from the Family disease of Alcoholism/Addiction often comes the time to write/rewrite or update a resume.

For the past several weeks, I've been circling around and doing everything but actually getting my resume done. Scratch that. I have been doing something important -- working with my Al-anon sponsor, going to meetings, doing Step work, etc. ...and in that, I am making progress with life on life's terms.

So now, pen to paper! Or fingers to keyboard, as it is. The slogan "Keep It Simple" is guiding the way. Quite some time in the past I started a resume on Google docs. Today I deleted the "accomplishments" sections, took "references" onto a new page and simplified things so I can fill them in.

Not all that long ago I couldn't say anything positive about myself. Now I can state many good things confidently and know I'm of value to myself and others. Being a stay-at-home mom with work gaps and a High School diploma, I didn't realize how many good things I've done and skills I have. Writing this is becoming a good experience for me.

In looking for wording, I found this fun reminder -- many character defects can also be assets!
Resume - Your Hidden Skills

What has been your experience in resumes, or in job searching during chaos and/or recovery?

Ktf
Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woohoo!! I kept it Simple, took off the Skills part and now have a clear, concise one-page resume with references on it. Printing it now!!

I plan on adding the Skills section back in at some point. The immediate goal is to bring it in to a few specific places --- and to be productive in getting the resume done instead of spinning my wheels.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well... almost done. Finally noticed I hadn't added my most recent job in! Updated that and added more details about the work I've done. Printing.....

And now to find some friends to proof read it for me.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These are my two cents, and others may disagree. That said, I'm at the hiring end, and I would say keep the Skills on the resume, and the references out. Others may take a different approach, but I only refer to references at the very last stages of the game. When I'm taking a first pass at a resume, I'm looking for skills first. I'm wondering, what do I have to train this person on, and is he/she ready to go on other tasks? Is there evidence that this person can pick up other skills on the go? Reference names won't tell me that.

Believe me, I realize that perfection is often the enemy of the good, and I REALLY struggle with being such a perfectionist freak that I never get anything done. So I hesitated before sending this message because I don't want to hold you back - but I've rarely seen a resume with the references included on the same page.

If you're submitting your resume online, this becomes SUPER important, because a lot of resume scanners are scanning for skills and keywords specific to the job at hand.

Of course, if you know the folks you're applying to, and they've specifically asked for references, you can just throw my advice out the window.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm told that one-page resumes are no longer necessary, but after working for thirty-some years in my chosen profession, I still keep mine to a page. I elaborate on my experience in the cover letter, which allows me to "tailor" the resume to the job I'm applying for, highlighting and elaborating on what's most relevant.

I've been VERY lucky in my job searches (except for one horrendously frustrating period when I was still living with my second alcoholic husband right when he was circling the drain for seemingly the last time, and I couldn't find the kind of job I wanted to save my life). Actually, even that turned out for the best, I guess, because I came back to my previous job (moving back across the country)--things work out the way they are supposed to. I truly believe that.

Good luck with your job-hunting!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey and I don't know what kind of job you are going for, but the creative resumes stick with me, and I am more likely to call someone to come in and interview if I am stunned by their resume. (I must note that I AM in a creative field and usually hiring artists.)

This place has killer Word resume templates for 10 bucks and under if you want to WOW..

https://creativemarket.com/
'
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too am on the hiring end, although the resume has usually been filtered out of several before they come to me.

I would say be honest, and definitely keep the skills on the resume. I actually make people take a basic skills test with me before we will hire because i've had people lie to me about their skills and we hired them. Very frustrating, a complete waste of their time and mine.

I will also say to keep your own pen available during an interview. A family member of mine hires for a major corporation. If you don't have your own pen, immediate axe, you will not be hired.

Everyone is different, but I am looking for dedication, good communicators, promptness, major computer skills, license that pertains to my career field, and a person who is interested in helping maintain a great work environment. In other words, NO DRAMA. I work with lots of women, and in one of our offices, the drama is out of control. I will not tolerate that in my office, and can usually spot a trouble maker pretty quicky.

I hope this helps at all.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know I'm just off to deliver a resume and I wrote a cover letter specifically asking for two jobs well beneath my capabilities but I figure more important to get my foot in the door. And it will give me a chance to practice humility.

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
Somewhere along the timeline of recovery from the Family disease of Alcoholism/Addiction often comes the time to write/rewrite or update a resume.

For the past several weeks, I've been circling around and doing everything but actually getting my resume done. Scratch that. I have been doing something important -- working with my Al-anon sponsor, going to meetings, doing Step work, etc. ...and in that, I am making progress with life on life's terms.

So now, pen to paper! Or fingers to keyboard, as it is. The slogan "Keep It Simple" is guiding the way. Quite some time in the past I started a resume on Google docs. Today I deleted the "accomplishments" sections, took "references" onto a new page and simplified things so I can fill them in.

Not all that long ago I couldn't say anything positive about myself. Now I can state many good things confidently and know I'm of value to myself and others. Being a stay-at-home mom with work gaps and a High School diploma, I didn't realize how many good things I've done and skills I have. Writing this is becoming a good experience for me.

In looking for wording, I found this fun reminder -- many character defects can also be assets!
Resume - Your Hidden Skills

What has been your experience in resumes, or in job searching during chaos and/or recovery?

Ktf