Notices

Hmm...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hmm...

So as you may know I gave up on day 11 and drank for 3 days, was sober a day, drank for a day ...

My last post I was sober for a day and now ..... you guessed it .. drinking.

Mostly when drinking I think ... what am I doing ... and I think of you SR people. Haven't had fun in awhile.

Earlier.. before I drank I tried to convince myself... hey you are just going to regret it .. you aren't even going to enjoy it cause you know it is wrong .. except the end result is "click, open a beer, click open another beer, click oh another beer" you know the drill.

It's stupid ... I can't even enjoy it anymore yet still do it.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If you're drinking right now, I hope you'll pour out whatever you have left and get some food and water in you. There's no better time than right this second to start a better way of life.

You're in my thoughts. We've all been exactly where you are right now. And, yes, my drinking got even less enjoyable after the first time I decided to quit. Because I had already admitted to myself that drinking was the wrong thing for me to do. That genie was out of the bottle and couldn't be put back in.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sadly, that's addiction.

Can you think of something that will help you deal with this? I'm glad you're back posting and I hope you are continuing to work on your getting sober.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
Mostly when drinking I think ... what am I doing ... and I think of you SR people.
Think about us before you drink. And post here. Before you drink.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

make a day 1 & watch a lot of problems dissapear over time

make a day 1 don't let alcohol do this to you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

in this together
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How about rehab? You've struggled mightily to do this on your own, sometimes we have to just admit that we need help to get started. Drinking won't help anything of course.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
...you know the drill...
Yes, I do.

Fortunately, I learned another drill. I highly recommend it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't disappeared ... I just don't tend to post much when drinking.

I am sober right now.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Volshen,

Glad you are sober and you are here. Do you have any supports in place to help you remain sober? It isn't easy, but it does get easier. I have just over four months sober and the benefits are worth it.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are posting Volshen. Reach out to the community before drinking, reach out as soon as you feel the urge or are feeling weak. This place works, but only if you give us a chance to talk you down from your AV.

You absolutely can do this Volshen.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Has this recent experience brought you any closer to understanding the seriousness of your condition?

I had to stop because I was going to die. I had to find a better way to live to make it possible and enjoyable to stay stopped.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

are you still having problems with what a plan might be for you Volshen? or are you having trouble following a plan?

D
Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I had the recent 11 days .. the plan was simply .. don't let myself get overly hungry because I know that can be a trigger, and I read SR a lot and before I went to bed. I also was going to some A.A meetings ..

When I gave up it was wierd ... the part of me that doesn't want to drink was working hard to stop me.. but the part of me that wanted to drink won .. it was like I knew I was going to be upset with myself but made the final decision to "drink now, feel stupid later"
Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could NOT stop on my own. I needed to be away for a while...So I did a 60 day stint in rehab. While I was there I put together a plan....which was, I will not drink and until I get a job I will park my @ss in AA meetings all day long.

I highly recommend more AA meetings and getting a sponsor.

Here's what worked for me:

2-3 AA meetings a day for the first 2 months or so until I got a job and had something to occupy my mind and body.

Getting on my knees in the morning and asking God to keep me away from a drink.

Getting on my knees in the evening and Thanking God for keeping me from a drink.

Reaching out to women I had met at AA meetings....calling people. I was so desperate that my self consciousness slipped away. Sometimes I would just call a woman up, I hardly knew her, and I would just sob and be honest"I'm sitting on my front stoop and I don't know what I am going to do to get through this day...let alone this next second, minute, hour."

Someone suggested I go to a big book step stud meeting and I did. A woman shared from the podium and she mentioned she could sponsor. I almost knocked over the tables to get to her. Since I met her my life has changed 180 degrees.

Getting sober and staying sober is the hardest thing I have ever done. Dear Lord I don't ever want to go back to those first days, weeks and months. I don't have to. And you don't EVER have to do this again. Make a decision NOW to change your life.

Hugs to you.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post Bunny.

I sometimes go to A.A meetings for the positive atmosphere. It is good to see other people who have broken free from the drinking.

But beyond that A.A isn't really compatible with me.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it is time to sit down and make a recovery plan since what you are doing right now isn't cutting it.

* Do you need outpatient rehab?
* Do you need inpatient rehab?
* Do you need counseling?
* Do you need the help of a doctor?
* Do you need a psych. exam to see if there are any underlying mental health issues.
* Do you need to go to more AA meetings?
* Do you need to reach out and find new friends that don't drink?

When something doesn't work it is time to try something else. If you don't, then the same result will continue to occur day after day and you deserve more then that out of life.

Never stop fighting, you are worth more than that!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

it's not stupidity... it's addiction.

sounds to me like you still haven't really made a choice.

written between your lines is the subtext that says "I still haven't really CHOSEN sobriety. I say I want it. I say this has to stop. I say I want change. I say that I hope. But the truth... the ugly truth is that I haven't yet DECIDED to stick up for the deep inner me and CHOOSE sobriety and live my life as fully as possible....".

and that's not an attack, because hey; I've been there. I get it.

but let's not call it 'stupid'. Let's not red-herring this thing. Let's not gloss over the bottom line....

The choice is yours.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You make sense FreeOwl.

I guess I'm at a point where I want to drink but also don't want to die and lose everything. And somehow the consequences don't scare me enough to stay away from the beer.

And what I can't bring myself to understand is really WHY I want to drink ... I've said it many times on these forums .. I get maybe 1 hour of pleasure out of the drinking .. then I drink until I pass out ... wake up feeling like crap and drink a bunch of water to try to feel normal again and tell myself NO more, yet the next day I'm sitting at my desk with beer again.

It's not worth it and I'm going to lose my girlfriend, my license, any future job I get ... and my health. I drink an absurd amount of beer every day.

Yet despite all the negative I keep chasing that mere hour of pleasure, numbness, whatever you want to call it.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you want to drink because your brain is addicted.

you want to drink because you've programmed yourself to drink.

you want to drink because you are wired to drink.

you want to drink.... because you haven't decided to stop wanting to drink.

don't worry.... you will eventually experience sufficiently terrible consequences that you will be moved to finally make a choice.

provided you don't get killed in the process.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FreeOwl, you are right in every way ... I like your way of putting things.

How do I get myself to take this seriously .. I guess even though I can sit and write about all of the horrible things that are going to happen to me, I'm not scared to my core .. I should be.