Notices

not drinking is a fantasy for me

Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not drinking is a fantasy for me

hello. I wish I could quit binge drinking. I booze heavy every few days. it's a nightmare of drinking, sickness, depression and then more drinking to take the pain away. I've ruined myself and my life. I've tried AA, I've tried counseling, yet here I am, 30 years later still a mess. why can't I get it?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Do you believe it is possible for you to succeed, frankster? Maybe you need to visualize what this will be like, what being sober and happy will mean for you. What sort of person will you be like? What interests will you pursue? How will you react to the really great things and the really crappy things that happen to us all?

Maybe another thing to consider is this - do you believe that you, frankster, deserve to be this way? Do you deserve to have this kind of life?

I believe you can do this thing, and I believe that you deserve it too. Think about what a plan for sobriety will look like for you. Then go and do it.

I hope you keep posting, frankster. There is a lot of support here for you.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. In order to stop drinking, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. I hope our support can help you get to that point.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it! I think it's more about your motivation rather than the path you choose. Make a plan that works for you and stick to it. What specific things can you do to prevent you drinking again in a day or two?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by frankster View Post
why can't I get it?
I drank for decades because I failed to understand the nature of my addiction to alcohol. Simply put, my brain was telling me lies, and I believed them.

One of those lies was I can't get it.

You have identified the problem. Let's work on the solution.

You CAN do this.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey frank your going to need a plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

that's actually the tough question. if I can do something to prevent myself drinking in a day or two, then if I keep doing it I'd never drink again. I actually found this video on perceptions called "beyond sober" has kept me sober for small amounts of time. (2 months). i'll start with watching it numerous times a day.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You can do it! I think it's more about your motivation rather than the path you choose. Make a plan that works for you and stick to it. What specific things can you do to prevent you drinking again in a day or two?
that's actually the tough question. if I can do something to prevent myself drinking in a day or two, then if I keep doing it I'd never drink again. I actually found this video on perceptions called "beyond sober" has kept me sober for small amounts of time. (2 months). i'll start with watching it numerous times a day.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Wishing did nothing for me - I wished for many years for many things including sobriety. Taking action is what made the difference in my life.

When I banged my head hard enough, when the consequences became hugely painful I sought help. If something didn't work, I did something else. It is a battle for my life.........

Rehab - IOP - meetings (yea, again with step work) - Smart - Lifering etc, etc are potentially actions that may save your life.

Keep coming back.....
Old 05-07-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this site is confusing.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

this site is confusing.
Why?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Frankster, stopping drinking is easy, staying stopped is hard. That is the reality of alcoholism.

I would add this for you to think about, you have the choice to stop drinking now, if you continue, it may no longer be a choice. Alcohol is progressive and will eventually claim your health. If you spend enough time reading stories on this forum you will see how bad it can get. It has helped motivate me, I hope it can motivate you as well.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking was a fantasy for me too - but I made it reality because drinking was killing me

I'm nothing special - you can do it too - if you want, Frankster.

It all starts with a day one, making changes, finding support...

If you need help with that (or just with navigating the site) just post out

D
Old 05-07-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There are many ways to get and stay sober, I have used AA and SR. You say you have tried AA. Did you get a sponsor and work all the steps? If you haven't you really haven't followed through. I also said AA wasn't for me and it didn't work. When I actually did what was suggested it worked and keep me sober the last 8 years. Do you have a recovery plan?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

this is a waste of time. I don't get it. how is this supposed to help?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

How is "this" supposed to help what?
What needs helping, and what do you think that help looks like ?
Maybe you could discuss what it is you think is needed. Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing, or that what you need you already have .
I think you will be missing out on help and support if you dismiss SR too soon.
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm new to this too Frank.

This could be totally wrong, but in the beginning - you just have to NOT DRINK. Like - even if you are uncomfortable. Even if you're practically TASTING that beer or whatever your poison of choice is going down your throat. Even if everything went wrong that day. Even if everything went right that day, and you're excited and it feels too intense.

Even then.

So this site is helpful because when you're clawing the walls and wanting a drink so bad you can't hardly stand it, you come here instead and you send out an SOS and everyone here helps you and talks you off the ledge. That's how it helps.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Frank,

Have you tried some medication that would help ease the transition into sobriety?

The problem with me was that I was very depressed but was masking that depression with drinking and drug use. Just because you become sober does not mean the depression magically disappears.

There are some old school AA members at the meetings I attend, and they insist that any kind of medication is a bad thing. Maybe for them it is, but for me being on medication has allowed me to continue working despite having gone through one of the most difficult times in my life.

Hope this gives you something to think about.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm still sober and going to AA. Thanks to all for the good advice and encouragement. Apologize for my crap attitude, but I'm feeling better everyday and commited to fighting for my life. I'm going to stay on SR and would like to retract my statement that it's a waste of time. It has been very helpful. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
under new management

I'm still sober and going to AA. Thanks to all for the good advice and encouragement. Apologize for my crap attitude, but I'm feeling better everyday and commited to fighting for my life. I'm going to stay on SR and would like to retract my statement that it's a waste of time. It has been very helpful. Thank you.
Awesome, frankster!!!

There is no judgement on SR, so happy you are still here