Notices

Ignition Interlock

Old 05-03-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ignition Interlock

I'm sure some of you have some experience with this. It has me quite worried. I started my car as I was leaving work. I did a rolling retest and got to the gas station. Got out. Pumped my gas. Used hand sanitizer and tried to start my car. It registered a fail. Didn't say anything about a violation. I was locked out for 2 minutes. During that time I rolled down my windows and aired out my car. I blew after those 2 minutes and passed. I have already submitted my yearly report to ask for my non restricted license. So I should be receiving a hearing soon. Does anybody know what may happen with that fail?

I am worried and I don't want to be. I doubt I would lose my license off that little fail, especially because I wasn't drinking and had clean tests before and after the fail.

Help me!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have experience with this SoberLife, but I know people have posted that they have problems with them from time to time.

Do you have a lawyer? If you are concerned, it might be a good idea to talk with him.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not spending the money on an attorney this 2nd time around. Way too much money and I'm doing all the right things.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My guess is the hand sanitizer. Many years ago I was on electronic home monitoring and the machine could detect alcohol. I shaved and used after shave and it set the machine off. Courthouse called me immediately, told them what my morning routine was, stopped using the aftershave, no problems.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agreed. Many commodities for hygeine and cleaning contain enough alcohol to set off breathanalyzers. Saw it in OP breath testing, a lady actually set one off with hairspray (she had it concreted to her scalp, though lol). Keep away from mouthwash, alcohol-based body spays and sanitizers for now. I'm sure the court will understand.

~Bunnez
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I know it was the hand sanitizer! Lol. I am just so worried. I need to do a better job with acceptance. Accepting things are just the way they are supposed to be.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't say for certain but it seems quite likely that you'll be fine. I would imagine they're very used to false positives and know what trips up the interlock. Just keep doing the right things and you'll get there.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope justice prevails SL.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. I have been in similar situations so many times. I never realized that my "deal" was not nearly so important to them as it was to me. My "awfulizing" was really a result of ego. I felt that my situation was so important. The reality is that we are just folks that go through the process. One of many multiples. I really think you can rest assured that they have "bigger fish to fry". Of course even when I could intellectualize this before. Going through it was still difficult.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I am sure you'll be fine......they have some "glitch" room built in.

I too am an example of consequences continuing into our sobriety. Even thought the Engine on the train stops, those railcars in back of us keep rolling.........

As we clean up the wreckage of the past, I am reminded of what is was like and why I stopped. This pain and tribulations are a gift I find. Without them, I likely would have never stopped.

I think your post will be helpful to others........
Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Let's clarify how the system works. The machine that you blow in does NOT directly speak with anything else. It's a data capture device. It's dumb and only restricts that car starting based on a series of recoded events in a certain order. Such a three fails in a row can cause a lock out.

So if you applied for your license and they give you a hearing they know nothing of the fail until you do your quarterly check in and return the unit so they can 'pull' the data. They will see it then.

There are varying levels of fail. Multiple lock outs might be considered as you still trying to drive drunk. A fail here or ether with no relative connection might say that you simply had something in the air that can cause this including cleaning supplies and hand sanitizers.

If you had this over a year you should know this. You are told on every recording when you try and speak to anyone at these centers. Do not use hand sanitizers. Do not use mouthwash. Do not do a bunch of things just before trying to start the car.

I had a fail on my last unit I had in my car as they approved me to get my reinstatement but they never saw that until after I had my license. By then it's too late.

I would not worry unless there is a pattern here you are not telling us. Otherwise hope you get reinstated soon.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the reassurance. Yes this is my first one that came up positive in the 14 months that I have had this device. What's done is done. Nothing I can do now. Of course I shouldn't have used the hand sanitizer right before I started the car, but I didn't think that it would set it off. Whatever. Need to look ahead. Thanks everyone!