Seeking Peace

Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Seeking Peace

I am new to this forum... any forum really. I am looking for support, a place to find sanity. My mother died 2 years ago from cancer and for the past 2 years I have been trying to help my self destructive father. He has always been an alcoholic. God bless my Mom for all the years she cared for him...I don't know how she did it. Part of me wonders if all the years of stress impacted her health.
My Dad is driving me crazy. From what I gather from other posts I have to separate myself so I don't get wrapped up in the drama that is his life. This is definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do....
Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, it certainly sounds like you've found the right place! (((HUGS)))

It's definitely a real thing that our personal health can become impacted by our loved one's addictions - that's part of why you often hear it referred to as a Family Disease.

If you haven't had time yet -start by diving into the sticky threads posted at the top of the forums. They have a lot of links to dozens upon dozens of posts that we collectively have voted as our "Greatest Hits". Welcome!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

seekingpeace.....you might want to investigate "Adult Children of Alcoholics".....it is designed for those in circumstances like yours.....
There is an ACOA section here, on SR, also......
I hope you can hang around and benefit from the understanding people on this forum.......

dandylion
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Seekingpeace! I hope you find this forum a support for the difficult situation you are in. I am so sorry for the loss of your mom.

It looks like you have been doing some reading and have started thinking about some of the issues of being in a relationship with an alcoholic if you haven't already.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You have a very wise tag name. You will do well! These boards helped me tremendously.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, SP! Hang in there, you've found a wonderful place for wise folks, and support.

C-OH Dad