Notices

Am I beyond help?

Old 05-01-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I beyond help?

I cannot stop drinking, a lot of the time I drink to "cure" my hangover from the previous day or just to function!
Today I have sinusitis and feel awful, my face is swollen, my nose and throat very sore but still I drink.
I had great plans for today, long walk with my dogs, mulch the garden, do stuff!!!
Instead I wake up feel ill and drink to feel better whilst longing to go out.
I know I should just go but unfortunately life isn't like that and I am a prisoner to my addiction..
Like any addict I manage a few hours work most days to feed my addiction and pay my rent
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

No you are not beyond help and you don't have to feel this way anymore if you don't want to.

I could not stop drinking either, no matter how much I tried or wished I could.

I had to get help and I had to do things to help me stay sober. Just stopping drinking without doing anything else didn't work for me. I wasn't willing to make any of those changes until I was hurting bad enough and the fear of being sober wasn't as scary anymore as the fear of keeping on drinking.

You really can do this.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Nobody who seeks help is beyond it. You are here. You are reaching out. There is hope. I encourage you to read through the posts here. All different stages of sobriety, messages of hope, help for despair.

Bug
Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are not beyond help and you can do this. Yes, it's hard and it means taking a leap of faith, but you can do it. Are you ready and motivated to stop drinking? If so, we are here for support.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No one is beyond help. And there is always a way. You are worth more than your addiction is telling you you are. Just breathe. It will be ok. Nice to see you here. Someone will have links for you to read, and words to help you through. You aren't alone.Many people here are going through what you are. Stay and share. It really does help.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No one is beyond help. You are seeking it now actually whether you realize it or not. What needs to happen though is that you need to take action. Think of all the time you spend focused on drinking....planning for it, buying it and actually drinking it. If you could spend even only a portion of that time on meetings, therapy, rehab, self help, etc you could make a huge difference in your life.

Sobriety is right here in front of you for the taking, you jut have to choose it and work for it.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It sounds like you fear that failure if you try to stop but you need not fear failure kaily

It may be that you don't succeed the first time, my reading of other people's posts in SR suggest that most people don't (including me who had loads of day 1s)

Stick with it and when the cravings start post before you drink

Good luck, you can do it kaily
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As long as we're alive we are never beyond help. When you're ready to choose sobriety you can make it happen of you want it bad enough. You can do this!
Why don't you join the May class? There is tons of great support in a class and all over SR.
So, when you are ready to take the leap, have a good plan, and lean on us for support
Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No Kaily you are not beyond help .

If you continue to feel you are hopeless then you will remain so .

Reality is there are no hopeless cases , some think they are helpless also .
If you want to get out of that frame of mind ? then you need to do something about it .

First thing is make a decision , stay away from the 1 st drink and you will not get drunk , not only that but keep doing so and you will start to get well , everybody that wants to stop must have a plan , mine was AA it is a great help and I am now over 10 years sober with the help I received from then it was very encouraging and I got understanding and did not feel alone .

There are other ways and plans to do with stopping drinking you need to find one that suits , you have made the first step by your admission , wishing you well .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

No one is beyond help Kaily, including you
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

getting sober was THE hardest thing i have EVER done in my life- way harder than the 3+ year battle i had with cancer starting 13 months into recovery.
staying sober has been easy.
it was worth the fight- every one day at a time, taking fighting the craving, compulsion, and obsession down to one second at a time a LOT, the frustrations learning to live life on lifes terms, learn about myself, and how to be a responsable, productive member of society..........
EVERY second was worth it.

you can get sober,too and never have to feel this way again.
if you want to and are willing to put in the footwork
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can anyone help me please
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have not spoken to anyone since Thursday.
So lonely....
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

What's on your mind Kaily? How can we help?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Share about how you are feeling and by sharing that it is much the same as talking as you will get responses , no-one knows what you are feeling or thinking Kaily unless you tell them , take care and start hitting the keys .

Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

We're here to listen, Kaily. We're people too, believe it or not.

I'm sure there are AA or other recovery meetings going on all day long where you live. Those are full of people just like you and me, people who understand that awful life of wanting to stop drinking but not feeling like you can.

I was/am a drinker just like you. It's now been 50 days without a drink for me. What worked for me was asking for help here when I needed it, helping others here when I could even if it was just to say "hello" or "I'm listening" to someone new, and realizing that it's the first drink that gets me drunk. As long as I don't take the first one no matter what, I don't have to worry about the second or third or tenth one that will surely follow for drinkers like us.

Wishing you the best today! You did the right thing asking for help.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The only people who are beyond help are those that give up on themselves and are no longer willing to try or accept help.

Think about what hasn't worked in the past and what you could try differently this time. Maybe finding a doctor and counselor can be a start. Journaling, meditation, yoga, reaching out for support, and refusing to give up on yourself will also help.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kailey we could be twins. I was the same way--I went to bed with the firm resolve to not drink, but when I woke up I felt so awful physically (forget how awful I felt emotionally) that I had to drink to feel better. I spent most mornings taking my first shot of vodka over the toilet praying to God that I could keep it down so I could brush my teeth and go to work. I always had plans of taking my dogs for walks and gardening-two things I love to do, but most days my plans would never materialize and I'd spend the next few days beating myself up and feeling guilty and disappointed that I never did what I said I was going to do.

I finally reached he point where I could no longer live with or without alcohol. I was scared. Physically, I was ill--my body was rejecting the alcohol but I physically needed it or I was going to be very sick. I had to go to a hospital to detox safely but even when I got out, I drank. I was hopeless.

I actually called the AA hotline. I met a woman who took me through the Big Book and 15 months later, I am recovered. I still do step work, I fall short everyday, I help others when I can and I try to live one day at a time. Sometimes it is only 1 minute at a time, but for that minute, I don't have to drink.

AA hotline number is 877-331-3394 Don't worry-they won't show up at your door and drag you anywhere (unless you ask them to)

link for online AA meetings any time of day -- Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

What city and state are you in?

Keep fighting <3
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I have not spoken to anyone since Thursday.
So lonely....
Kaily although getting & staying sober is hard if you want it youl choose not to drink and youl have all your friends here to lean on get advice swap stories etc when I was like how you are now I felt the same but you know what Kaily it was me I made the choice to drink each time then regret it I was going round & around in circles like you are now I'm saying this in the hope youl believe exactly what I'm telling you it & because I care. It was me my choices that left me lonely afraid nervous anxious etc and for what i was drinking to oblivion in darkened room like gollum tragic doesn't do it justice as it was self inflicted

The only way the only true way of this all this stopping is when you stop drinking until that time these things will keep happening with more & more regularity & Severity

Choose life Kaily x
Old 05-01-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are not beyond help! HELP that's the key word. You are reaching out that's the first step. Make a plan and find yourself support, whichever suits you. Myself, I use this site and A.A. There are many recovery methods listed here. BTW I'm 67, .......9 months sober. Not too late, never!!