Attending Meetings

Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attending Meetings

I am new here and hope to get some advice. This weekend I attended an AA meeting (by accident) since it was posted online as an Alanon mtg, then next day and Alanon meeting. I received my own moment of clarity at each meeting and it's clear now what I can control and that's only myself and my actions and reactions. My attending Meetings caused my alcoholic husband to get angry. But also he has agreed to finally go to onew later today. My question is he wants me to attend meetings with him. I'm not sure this is a good idea. He also suffers from anxiety. And currently severe alcohol neuropathy so I do have to drive him and assist him to get to a meeting. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hello and welcome! i think it would be perfectly fine to attend HIS first AA meeting with him, to help ease the anxiety a bit and help him get the lay of the land so to speak. but long term, its best for each of you to attend your own meetings solo.....so that you can get the full experience without interference or concern for the other. that he WANTS to go is good and anything to get him in the doors is encouraged!!!

please feel free to share a bit more about YOU....as you feel comfortable.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

/\ /\ /\ /\ yes to what AnvilheadII wrote

Hugs
Joie
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it's a closed meeting you might not be able to actually attend with him anyway. Our Alanon schedule has asterisks next to meetings which have an AA meeting during the same time. Maybe try to find one of those so you don't end up sitting outside an AA meeting for an hour by yourself. Otherwise make sure it's an open meeting.