Notices

New plan. old plan didn't work

Old 05-01-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New plan. old plan didn't work

After what can only be described as a total failure at last night stag. I have come up with a new plan . No more nights out with the guys. I have pulled out of my brothers stag and his wedding this month. Starting fresh on day 1. Drinking alcohol free cider as I type.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back ben, I hope you aren't too banged up.
What kind of plan are you putting together? Do you plan on speaking to your wife about your medical records?
I would suggest making an appointment with your doctor as well to find out more about that. Generally having medical issues is a good sign that it is time to stop.

There are two schools of thought here on the alcohol free cider/beer/wine here. Some folks think it is fine if it gets you through a sticky moment. Others say it is hitting to close to home and a risk to slipping in to the real stuff. Not to mention that most "alcohol-free" cider/beer/wine does have a small content of alcohol in it anyway.

Stick around, you will find a lot of people in your same boat, we are all here to help you.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Glad you pulled out of the stag party. Maybe by the time the wedding comes you will be strong enough to go and stay sober.

Good to see you post this morning. Read your post yesterday and was hoping for you.

Bug
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ben,

Glad you came back today. What supports are you adding to your new plan?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ben,

There are some hard decisions to be made in early recovery and I think you have found that out. Will you be adding something to your new plan to help you get through the early weeks?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ben why don't you join the may class?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi guys the difference between the old plan that was working and the new plan is don't go out with groups who will be drinking that was the point the old plan failed. I was doing really well until that point my Mrs commented that she has never seen me not have a drink for 1 day and that after 4 days she couldn't believe I was actually doing it! Then I screwed up. But lesson learned. I have just bought a bottle of lemonade to drink tonight. I will join the may class not sure what that is I'm still new ill take a look now. Thanks for your support guys and girls.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool beans, glad to see you back Ben. You can do this for sure if you really want it.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I think we've all slipped, lapsed, or relapsed at some time in recovery,

Get back on the horse and continue the journey, just as you're doing.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
After what can only be described as a total failure at last night stag. I have come up with a new plan . No more nights out with the guys. I have pulled out of my brothers stag and his wedding this month. Starting fresh on day 1. Drinking alcohol free cider as I type.
I know its not funny, but I had to chuckle because I think many of us saw that coming from a mile away. I too hope you are not too banged up. Glad you're back and on to a new plan. Wish you the very best.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good on you for cancelling your plans to attend those future events. Put your recovery first and you'll be amazed at the results. Wishing you the best on this day 1. May it be your last!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad your back and that you are adjusting your plan to fix the parts that weren't sustainable for you at this moment. The longer you are sober the more you will be able to handle different types of situations, but it takes time to get there.

Keep pushing forward, life is so much better not chained to a bottle or drugs.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes! Sobriety first.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds look a good plan Ben.

For me I needed to protect my Sobriety at all costs and that came with changing up my decision making, activities to get involved in and people to hang out with.

You can do this!!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you managed to get back here after the slip. This is all a learning process.

Do you need to miss the actual wedding though? I can see why the reception party after might be tough, but the actual wedding should be okay. The ceremony I mean.

I'm maid of honour for a friend later this year and she asked me to organise her hen. As this friend has openly admitted to trying to sabotage my sobriety in the past, it made it easy for me to say I'd organise the afternoon event (in her words, the bit for the boring ******s who don't drink, which is mostly work colleagues and some family) and she'll need to ask someone else to organise the evening pubbing and clubbing. She asked me to promise I'd stay out til the end, which I declined to do. If the most important aspect of this wedding for her is the alcohol, she's got more problems on her plate than a sober and boring friend anyway.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Glad you managed to get back here after the slip. This is all a learning process.

Do you need to miss the actual wedding though? I can see why the reception party after might be tough, but the actual wedding should be okay. The ceremony I mean.

I'm maid of honour for a friend later this year and she asked me to organise her hen. As this friend has openly admitted to trying to sabotage my sobriety in the past, it made it easy for me to say I'd organise the afternoon event (in her words, the bit for the boring ******s who don't drink, which is mostly work colleagues and some family) and she'll need to ask someone else to organise the evening pubbing and clubbing. She asked me to promise I'd stay out til the end, which I declined to do. If the most important aspect of this wedding for her is the alcohol, she's got more problems on her plate than a sober and boring friend anyway.
yes I have to miss the wedding if I'm going to stay sober. I know what I'm like I'd take my hip flask full of scotch. My hip flask was my best friend until last week. I miss it more than the alcohol. I was like a comforter for me
Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Besides I hate the ceremony bit anyway the only good thing about going to a wedding is the party and that isn't happening for me
Old 05-01-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

staying away from wet places and wet places was a good thing for me, but only the beginning of action i needed. sobering up this drunken horse theif left a sober horse theif. i hadda lotta work on lookin at causes and conditions, and beings how i drank for everything and also drank alone i had a lot of causes and conditions i needed to learn about and change.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You may wish to post your new recovery plan and solicit input from others. I have found the time to ask for help is before you need it.