Notices

Nights are the worst

Old 04-30-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nights are the worst

Anyone agree? Those of you with company to share the long evenings, count your blessings.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Anyone agree? Those of you with company to share the long evenings, count your blessings.
I have insomnia. I feel totally alone at night when I am surrounded by sleeping people.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, that can be the time when the old circular thoughts and (undeserved) self-blame can start up, even after a good day. Do you have contacts for when these thoughts creep in? It does rid them very much if you spill them to someone who's had the same thing.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nights can get difficult but I always make sure that I have set things to do at night. A lot of nights I call and talk to my mom for an hour to two hours. Other nights I will have certain shows planned to watch, have a book or two to read, come onto sites such as this one where you can always connect with someone, you can go to meetings at night if you go to meetings, you take up a new hobby such as drawing, knitting, etc. I journal at night, do yoga, and meditate on my day and what I am going to move towards for the next day.

I hope there is something in there that helps even just a little bit.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live by myself with my two dogs and four cats. I never feel lonely because of their presence and their love.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I live by myself with my two dogs and four cats. I never feel lonely because of their presence and their love.
There you go. No drama, just good company that is genuine.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a night owl, nights are generally good for me. It's hard to explain but I rarely feel lonely. My job involves working with people and being around them all day; that's enough socialization for me. By the time I get home I'm relieved to have time for myself. And of course, time for all you, my SR peeps!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If i'm home alone at night I tend to hang out here a lot
Old 05-01-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After 5 is when I always drank. I live alone with 2 dogs. There's a guy friend who comes over to play cards a few nights but the rest of the time I'm isolated here in the country. I get to around 2/3 meetings a week but I'm home around 7 pm and a night owl so there's still evening to fill. I love my solitude and privacy but too much can be a trigger, especially if I get into unhealthy thinking. Keep in touch and keep busy.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

During the week I am home a lot in the evenings as my better half has a very demanding job and we have two homes, one in the city and one in the country on the ocean which is where I live the majority of the time as my woodworking shop is here and this is my semi retirement business.

Having said that I always find something to do to keep me from being too lonely but I do count my blessings for having such a wonderful life partner, she is a dream come true in every way.

Andrew
Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AH drinks all evening if he is in so in a sense i'm alone. Without sounding like a toddler I have a good evening and bedtime routine. My days are busy so I like to cook my dinner around a certain time, take a bath, read etc then go to bed at roughly the same time each night. I find comfort in this.
If i'm awake during the night I read or if absolutely wide awake I get up and on with the next days tasks until i'm ready to sleep again.
It is only fairly recently in history that humans have tried to sleep throughout the night. Before that advent of street lighting and modern lighting in homes people used to have a first sleep as soon as it got dark. They awoke after a few hours and chatted or read by candlelight then had second sleep.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

First sleep! That's good. I had a good sleep once I had my CPAP on. Thank goodness I have one now. It's hard to read with the thing on however. I'll have to start listening to music or something.