Notices

Reflecting so much.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflecting so much.

It isn't a problem exactly but I find myself thinking, a lot.
While my daughter is around i'm busy and chatting away to her as you have to with a young child but after she's gone to bed I find myself withdrawing and thinking about, well everything and anything.
I guess this is all part of recovery and as I said it's not a problem but it is something i've not done in a while.
When drinking i was happy to pass the time chatting about trivia and what was on TV, now it's as if I have deeper stuff to contemplate. Can anyone relate to this?
33 days and going strong.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Oh yes. I understand. I get lost in my thoughts as the clarity of sobriety starts to return. Reflection on the past and images of the future. It is almost surreal.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Oh yes. I understand. I get lost in my thoughts as the clarity of sobriety starts to return. Reflection on the past and images of the future. It is almost surreal.
Phew lol
Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I did that too in the early months of recovery. I still do, but not as much. I distracted myself with tv, music - whatever noise I could find - just to occupy my mind. I found myself dredging up the past & dwelling on regrets - I hope you won't do that to yourself. It all got much better as my new life kicked in. Congrats on your 33 days, Everydaysabonus.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Yes, I did that too in the early months of recovery. I still do, but not as much. I distracted myself with tv, music - whatever noise I could find - just to occupy my mind. I found myself dredging up the past & dwelling on regrets - I hope you won't do that to yourself. It all got much better as my new life kicked in. Congrats on your 33 days, Everydaysabonus.
Thank you, i'm not dwelling on the past but obviously I have regrets and I don't want to dismiss them completely because they are in part driving this huge change.
I'm not maudling over them in an unhealthy way though. If anything i'm more planning the way forward and just seem to be considering others a lot more too. Which can't be bad I guess.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

I have thought more in the past year than I have in the previous 22 years. There is much to contemplate about life, lots of revelations and epiphany's to be had.

For me, drinking shut my reflective self down, I didn't like what I saw.

It felt kind of disconcerting in the beginning to find myself with so much to think about but as time went on and I gained more clarity I was able to really appreciate being able to have quality thinking time with myself, so to speak.

It sounds like your thinking is a positive thing
Old 04-30-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very good point about the regrets.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early recovery I could only think about the bad things. But after I started practicing gratitude every day, my focus shifted to the positive.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I don't have any family support,active alcoholic husband and absent parents but my best friend who I see most days is teetoral and i'm predisposed to look on the brightside.
I do really appreciate the lovely people I've met on here.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I am reflective but I want to reflect more as it really helps with clarity
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Everydaysabonus View Post
It isn't a problem exactly but I find myself thinking, a lot.
While my daughter is around i'm busy and chatting away to her as you have to with a young child but after she's gone to bed I find myself withdrawing and thinking about, well everything and anything.
I guess this is all part of recovery and as I said it's not a problem but it is something i've not done in a while.
When drinking i was happy to pass the time chatting about trivia and what was on TV, now it's as if I have deeper stuff to contemplate. Can anyone relate to this?
33 days and going strong.
Yes, and I thinks its positive. It allows us to take a deeper look at the direction of our life.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought about the deeper stuff in early recovery and a lot of my thoughts were negative, having to do with guilt and shame. Journaling really helped me , and as Least mentioned, gratitude.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know the signs now. As soon as the little whiny guilt/reflection voice comes squiggling along and attempts to highjack my thoughts, I just stamp it out and replace it with thoughts, hopes, and PLANS for the future. Oh, and also what a blessing it is to be thinking so clearly for once in my life, with no "fog-glasses" on.

It just keeps getting better and better, believe me.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I relate 100%
Old 05-01-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haha you're not alone. Journaling helps me gather my thoughts. Also, regrets are lessons learned hidden by fear so keep on digging and try to see the meaning behind it =]
Old 05-01-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by OceanGuy View Post
I know the signs now. As soon as the little whiny guilt/reflection voice comes squiggling along and attempts to highjack my thoughts, I just stamp it out and replace it with thoughts, hopes, and PLANS for the future. Oh, and also what a blessing it is to be thinking so clearly for once in my life, with no "fog-glasses" on.

It just keeps getting better and better, believe me.
I am working on phasing out the guilt and regrets and focusing on my plans for today and the future. I took my fog glasses off too!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
I have thought more in the past year than I have in the previous 22 years. There is much to contemplate about life, lots of revelations and epiphany's to be had.

For me, drinking shut my reflective self down, I didn't like what I saw.

It felt kind of disconcerting in the beginning to find myself with so much to think about but as time went on and I gained more clarity I was able to really appreciate being able to have quality thinking time with myself, so to speak.

It sounds like your thinking is a positive thing
This has been my experience too. I've been discovering a very different person than I thought I was. I always knew I thought too much in the way of anxiety... I'd forgotten that I also think a lot in good ways. It's been wonderful coming to enjoy time with myself, as you say.

Thanks for posting this. I've been beating myself up for not being as social as usual. But I'm actually really enjoying this time and the reminder is good.