Notices

Grocery store is a trigger for me

Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Grocery store is a trigger for me

I would come home from shopping and unpack the groceries with wine. I white knuckled it through the store just now and got my ample behind home before I could be tempted with the cold aisle. Then I came here.

What are or were your triggers?
Old 04-30-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The chip aisle at the grocery store. LOL. That's where the vodka is. I would go to other stores to get chips that did not sell alcohol.

Great job! It is not worth waking up with regret in the morning.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

grocery store ads with alcohol in them.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some of my triggers: Self-doubt, being uncomfortable (too hot or too cold), snow, thunderstorms, accomplishment, Thursday night football, excitement, disappointment, and anger.
Grocery stores were also a trigger for me, but they were even worse on Fridays and Saturdays. They hand out samples of beer and wine out in my area on weekends in the aisles.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My triggers are things that make me sad, mad, nostalgic, and everything in between.

I remember when the stores in my area didn't have alcohol. Most of them do now because they say they can't compete without it. For awhile one local store would deliver along with your groceries.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never needed a trigger to drink. I just drank all the time because I had to, to avoid withdrawal. So glad that's over with now.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

best thing to do when you feel triggered & craving is reach out it saves sobriety bud
Old 04-30-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
best thing to do when you feel triggered & craving is reach out it saves sobriety bud
Amen Wolf.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to be triggered by sadness and upset but i've been more upset over the last week than in as long as I can remember. I'm proud that I worked through it all with clarity and presence rather than hiding behind wine and vodka.
Life goes on whether we are actively participating in it or not and I want to live my life not just exist.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Long days of work are a trigger. My neighbor popping a cold one while we're chatting on a warm afternoon triggers me. I just find ways to say no or find something else to do until the cravings pass. My neighbor and his friends keep telling me they feel sorry for me because I quit drinking, but they kind of look old and like crap for their ages, so that helps keep me sober....LOL.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Seeing everyone from comfy, rich oldies to the new freshers at the university crowding the drinks aisles more than the veg, even at 11 in the morning! First time in my life I've seen the point of taking a list into the store. No lingering, straight in and out.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Depression was a trigger for me. I'd get upset and so wrapped up in my emotions that rather than dealing with it properly, I went out and made stupid decisions. I was a pretty infrequent social drinker until circumstances started affecting my life and I became depressed...then I made a dumb decision one day to go out and drink depressed, on an empty stomach, lacking sleep, etc. A shear recipe for disaster, luckily I only got arrested. It could've been worse, I could've been dead or did something to someone else.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberaccountant View Post
Depression was a trigger for me. I'd get upset and so wrapped up in my emotions that rather than dealing with it properly, I went out and made stupid decisions. I was a pretty infrequent social drinker until circumstances started affecting my life and I became depressed...then I made a dumb decision one day to go out and drink depressed, on an empty stomach, lacking sleep, etc. A shear recipe for disaster, luckily I only got arrested. It could've been worse, I could've been dead or did something to someone else.
I hear you. My fiasco on Tuesday was a result of my depression. Depression hurts.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with least, my drinking wasnt triggered. I just drank to stave off the withdrawals.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Watching other people drink (in restaurants, on tv, wherever) makes me want to drink. Or reading about it. If I'm home, I'm fine. Planning on being a hermit for awhile.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job coming here instead.They don't sell alcohol at my grocery store but there's a bottle shop right next door, sometimes I feel compelled to walk in and buy something without any real warning.So I try not to go to the shops if I'm feeling at all shaky. Other than that my biggest trigger is being around other people who are drinking, or if i'm particularly anxious about something.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The beer aisle at the grocery store is a trigger. I tend to avoid it unless I absolutely have to go down it.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coming home from a long day at work to my empty house is a trigger.
I'm trying my best to fill my time with things but walking through the front door after a long day just makes me want to pour a massive glass of wine!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The grocery store can be a trigger if I happen to walk down the beer aisle. Anger is a trigger for me, stress, boredom, social situations, sunny days...

I have more triggers than I knew about. I tend to romanticize (sp?) alcohol but toward the end of my drinking it wasn't fun anymore, I have to remember that.
Stay strong, I think there will always be some triggers. I try not to let them suck me in.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
I would come home from shopping and unpack the groceries with wine. I white knuckled it through the store just now and got my ample behind home before I could be tempted with the cold aisle. Then I came here.

What are or were your triggers?
The trigger is alcohol.... or drugs....

The 'trigger' is addiction.

The triggers will always be triggers until we choose to be triggered no more.