Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Long-term happiness: the cheated upon spouse and "the other woman"

Old 04-30-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Did your partner cheat and leave? Survey finds an upside - TODAY.com

For those of us who have had a spouse cheat, I think this is an interesting study and supports my own experience.

After my first husband cheated on me and divorced me, I went on to do a lot of soul searching and self evaluation. Later, I ended up marrying the love of my life, my late husband.

My first husband, however, was in a relationship for a while with an alcoholic, abusive woman who had serious mental health issues.

Having a spouse cheat on you is the most brutal and intimate betrayal, but there is good news on the other side!

Peace in the valley,
Seren
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many years ago, a 5-year live-in relationship ended b/c of cheating by my BF. On the one hand, it's true that the "other woman" knew the man she was with was a liar and a cheat right from the get-go. On the other hand, I'm sure she had a healthy dose of "but he wouldn't do that to ME" going on, believing I deserved the way he treated me but that she was special and he'd never do that to HER.

(I think we have a stickied thread about "he'll be different w/me", don't we?)

I have no idea what the long-term outcome was, as this was over 30 years ago and I have no contact w/any of those people any more. It might be small-minded of me, but I do hope what this article said turned out to be true!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AH apparently started cheating on me almost 2 years ago. Our youngest was only 7 months old at the time. He left last year in a hail of addiction, going AWOL from rehab, etc.

Even before the cheating and before he left, I've been on a journey to better myself and heal from a lifetime of dysfunction. Him leaving was a blessing in disguise. Even though it's been really hard, I'm doing better now than I've ever been in my life. I have SO outgrown him and his immature, selfish ways.

He, on the other hand, went from making 6 figures and living in a nice house to barely scraping by, from being a shoo-in to be the CEO of a company that makes millions to having little prospects... Of course this has affected me and the kids' future too, and I'm still somewhat bitter and incredulous about it, but I'm in school, on track for a career in the medical field, and we'll be ok.

And the OW has a lying, cheating addict who abandoned his family and barely has a pot to **** in. Yuck.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
... (I think we have a stickied thread about "he'll be different w/me", don't we?) ...
Is this the one you mean?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...special-i.html

Mike
Old 04-30-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That would be the one, Mike--thank you!

Here's a little excerpt, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

And even if he WAS being dishonest at the start of your relationship, he lied to someone ELSE. It's not like he was dishonest with YOU (that you know of, yet), so that makes it OK, right? (So what if ms-non-partner-material thought the same thing, and excused him, the first time she found out he was dishonest with her? This time, he will be different, because he really LOVES you.)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, the article and the stickied thread were both great for me to read today!
Old 04-30-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've only been cheated on once in my life. It was with my xagf. She cheated on all her men. I just thought I'd be different.

I didn't need a lot of soul searching. Once she became my ex I didn't have it in my l8fe anymore.

Yes it hurt, but only because I thought I would be the one that was all in for her.

The problem is not with us. Ya'll need to stop soul searching over it.

We didn't do it, we weren't the reason and we won't be the reason they continue.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, Hangn....the soul searching was more about why I married a man capable of that in the first place. What was I missing in myself that I chose this man to try to fill that need?

Not soul searching as in "what did I do to make him do this?"
Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Oh, Hangn....the soul searching was more about why I married a man capable of that in the first place. What was I missing in myself that I chose this man to try to fill that need?

Not soul searching as in "what did I do to make him do this?"
Again. Don't overthink it. You were lied to. You were cheated on. He will continue, it just won't be with you

But I can say I did reflect back on how I ever got involved with her. The fact is, she was sober for awhile, she cleaned up to make a suitable impression. And she had a lot of good qualities.

Until the other side starts to make its appearance. There were red flags. I should have listened to them. That is where I failed me. That time.

Won't happen again.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love lemonade type things like this. I wan't cheated on as far as I know but he sure found someone else fast. This was a really good thing.

I do catch myself in the I'm-so-special kind of thinking on occasion. It makes me laugh at myself. Perhaps we all have this kind of feeling somewhere.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
Again. Don't overthink it. You were lied to. You were cheated on. He will continue, it just won't be with you
Overthink it? I just learned from that experience. Something along the lines of this, except without the alcohol:

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread
But I can say I did reflect back on how I ever got involved with her. The fact is, she was sober for awhile, she cleaned up to make a suitable impression. And she had a lot of good qualities.

Until the other side starts to make its appearance. There were red flags. I should have listened to them. That is where I failed me. That time.

Won't happen again.
Forgive me if the term "soul searching" is offensive or overstated to you, but I simply mean the same thing you describe here. Why did I ever get involved with that man in the first place? Were there red flags that I missed, or did I see them and ignore them? If I did ignore them, why? It was a mistake I did not want to repeat.

To me, what the research suggests is that those of us who were left and who take the time to learn from the broken relationship will make better choices going forward. As I said in my first post, that certainly seems to support my own experience.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, it was also "why did I put up with so much for so long?" And realizing that my sense of self worth was in the gutter and needed to be nurtured - if I'd truly valued myself, I would have run a long time ago. Lots of FOO issues there.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Overthink it? I just learned from that experience. Something along the lines of this, except without the alcohol:

Forgive me if the term "soul searching" is offensive or overstated to you, but I simply mean the same thing you describe here. Why did I ever get involved with that man in the first place? Were there red flags that I missed, or did I see them and ignore them? If I did ignore them, why? It was a mistake I did not want to repeat.

To me, what the research suggests is that those of us who were left and who take the time to learn from the broken relationship will make better choices going forward. As I said in my first post, that certainly seems to support my own experience.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be so hard on yourself over this. It wasn't you. We got taken for a ride. It was a life lesson. While it hurt, it gets better when we no longer have them to remind us of it anymore. Meaning they are out of our lives and we can go back to building ourselves a better life.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
I love lemonade type things like this. I wan't cheated on as far as I know but he sure found someone else fast. This was a really good thing.

I do catch myself in the I'm-so-special kind of thinking on occasion. It makes me laugh at myself. Perhaps we all have this kind of feeling somewhere.
This was my experience as well. I have come to see that he needed a caretaker and found someone to fill that immediate need. I took my sweet time about developing another relationship and focused on my recovery. I definitely do not regret that.
I saw this article a few days ago and was able to see the parallels even though I hadn't been technically cheated on. My "red flag detector" has certainly been upgraded.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

My cognitive therapist told me:

"XABF had nice qualities, of course you liked those qualities, then you got more information and committed to your own health, had to take separate ways..., don't overthink it. Not because you have always chosen vanilla ice cream does it mean that you will always choose it, you can choose chocolate next time"

... which is a great way to see things. However, I think there are patterns, and there's a lot that is unconscious that plays out in reality. And that is where introspection and self analysis and honesty come to place, what I also believe is soul searching... I am not convinced that lifelong patterns of behavior and thinking can be dropped that simply, only by "deciding something different next time" in a conscious level like the cognitive approach says...

Great food for thought! in any case, whatever helps some person heal is valid IMHO, and it is true that sometimes we are too hard on ourselves...