Notices

Sorry more moaning :-(

Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry more moaning :-(

Hey lovely peeps
I'm just 22 days sober and I have to say it .....
I'M BORED!

Now that clearly means that I'm an incredibly boring person if I don't know how to entertain myself without alcohol.
But I have to be honest and say that staying at home alone is much more interesting with a bottle of wine!
I have been doing well - I've felt positive and physically and mentally better - and the last thing I want to do is sabotage it.

I'm not about to - but I have had a long day and I'm exhausted ( and sorry guys close your ears - I'm a bit hormonal as well! ) and I really want a glass of wine to relax with - and I'm feeling resentful that it's Friday night and all the "normal people" can go out and enjoy a few drinks without over doing it!

I don't have a bath and I'm sick of watching films and I'm bored of books and the internet and I'm not in the mood to create anything or speak to anyone.

I just want a break from feeling "with it" I want to feel a bit silly and actually laugh.
Because to be honest since I gave up drinking I haven't laughed at all.
My sense of humor has completely disappeared!

I am aware that this is moaning and nothing positive can come from it - and I need to just get over it.
:-(
x

Last edited by overforty; 04-29-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot something!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Watch cat videos on youtube. Best tip I can give you.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Overforty. You're doing great. Never forget why you quit drinking. Any time I feel an urge coming on I remind myself of exactly why I will not drink today.

You are going to need to re-adjust around your new non-drinking lifestyle. Slow things down a bit, find new hobbies you want to try, get into exercise, reading, etc...
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had one night like that that I was very annoyed that I couldn't drink.
It was none of a good idea but I searched up an alcohol forum and proceeded to read absurd and insane drinking posts from alcoholics who were very proud to be drinkers and share their drunk exploits with the world.
It made me feel glad to know I'm no longer a part of that crowd. And I did get some laughs out of their antics. Mostly it was kind of sad and it made me feel really dumb that I was at that moment intensely yearning for that same escape.
Ever been to any meetings? What about joining a gym or some other hobby or group like a book club, walking group, baking or cooking class, dancing, group sport etc.
Now is a great time to reach out and meet new like minded people and make some new sober memories and things to look forward to.

And it's ok to be bored. That's something a lot easier to remedy than a lot of other things.
I hope you find something fun to occupy yourself.
I also love funny youtube videos. I've wasted hours doing that. Sober or not.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

This will make you cry with laughter sorry you feel this way remember these feelings will pass i don't feel great today either but we're in this together x

Magician Convinces Woman To Believe They Discovered An Alien Species. Her Reaction Is Priceless

Then Vs Meow: How Technology Is Changing Cats' Lives
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get where you're coming from.

At day 42 (43? starting to lose track ) I find I can't focus on anything for more than a minute or two at a time. I'd started a great book but can't focus on it - and all the stuff on my "to-do" list is NOT FUN.

I mean, I think we just have to suck it up. We're so used to just running away from our own thoughts in a bottle.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks SW - that's the first time I've smiled this evening!
And you are all right - it's about finding things to do that we enjoy!
Sober things!
I'm too tired for exercise I'm going to have to look at more stupid videos on youtube
x
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
I'm not about to - but I have had a long day and I'm exhausted ( and sorry guys close your ears - I'm a bit hormonal as well! ) and I really want a glass of wine to relax with - and I'm feeling resentful that it's Friday night and all the "normal people" can go out and enjoy a few drinks without over doing it!
Don't linger on such thoughts too long. Have you heard of the relapse ladder?

Relapse is at the top of a nine step ladder of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. The lowest rung is called happy memories. "Happy memories" means that you are thinking about the good times you had while you were using.

Wanting to relax, enjoying a glass of wine...Drinking like a 'normal' person... Those are happy memories that probably haven't been a part of your drinking in a long time. If you could relax with a glass of wine, you wouldn't be on SR seeking sobriety.

Boredom is a state of mind. Not a condition of sobriety. So shake those thoughts and plan out a sober but eventful weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also over forty and feel like I could have written your post at times. I liked being able to check out now and then, like every weekend. And to be honest, at times I would still like to do it. But I absolutely can't stomach the thought of aftermath. People get and stay sober for all sorts of reasons, the aftermath is a big motivator for me. You can do it.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Boring is a relative term :-). I'm almost forty... I like reading and doing puzzles, crafts, coloring (therapeutic!). I love just being home and having time to unwind when I don't have the chaos of work and family and parenting commitments. Tonight I'm kicking myself for committing to volunteer at a school event because it's Friday night and I want to be in my Jammie's by 6 pm and just work on my puzzle, lol. I guess I'm boring, too :-)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 22 👍maybe write a gratitude list...I find it helps me shift my thinking in a more positive direction x
Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well if you were on this side of the pond, it's a beautiful night here I would invite you over to so fishing for sea trout

I am going to assume you have some hobbies or things outside the house of interest, I used Meet Up dot com to find hiking/walking groups, joined a photo outdoor group although I am not very good, love woodworking and have a beautiful shop, started a group to teach woodworking with exotic hardwoods on Thursday night which is turning out to be great, met some super people in AA that either drop by or we go out for coffee, just a few suggestions or things to think about.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spent a few weeks sitting around because thats what I did drinking.
Once I realised that, I knew things had to change.

I think boredom is pretty easily fixed...with a little imagination you can find tons of things to do

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will find things to do that are fun and enjoyable. And, you must find things to do in order to support your recovery. Sit with yourself and try to figure out how you'd like to spend your time.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you want to hear a lot of laughter go early or stay late at an AA meeting. Most alcoholics love to have a good time so why would being sober change that?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went salsa dancing the other night, a room full of strangers , we had a guy at the front showing us the moves and the room was full of clumsy people trying to look sexy.....it was hilarious! Then to top it off one of the waiters who was obviously crowned King of Salsa 1953..picked me from the crowd (it was a real dirty dancing moment, nobody puts baby in the corner) and span me around , pushing me in all sorts of directions and I actually felt like I could dance. Brilliant night, highly recommend it! No friends or drink required....x
Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Failing that.....make an old lonely person dinner and keep them company for an hour.....you would be the highlight of their week!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I've gotten into working wood, just finished building a speaker cabinet, in the process of refurbishing an indoor storage cabinet for outside use, and when that's done I'm going to put a roof over my trailer's porch.

When that sort of thing doesn't get me going -- or when the weather prevents it, I pick up my guitar. I've been playing between an hour and two hours a day, and can sense the difference. Can't wait for my amplifier!

I haven't been writing much lately, but I can feel the bug starting to bite. I've got two unfinished novels that I want done by year's end.

And when all else fails, there's wikipedia -- I love link-surfing from article to article.