Notices

Extreme anxiety

Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme anxiety

I'm on Day 1 and the anxiety is making me feel crazy.

Work - I told them I needed some time off and they said no problem. So I should let go of this concern. But I also let my work slide hugely in the last few months

Friends supportive.

Terrified to tell my boyfriend because I blacked out and was unfaithful. Got checked out and didn't get any STIs from the infidelity.

Yesterday I walked around in a total fog and kept changing directions randomly. That scares me.

I just feel so stupid for relapsing. And I want this cyclical anxiety to stop.

I'm so upset.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

all pretty normal stuff.

Go for a walk.

Breathe deeply.

Schedule a massage.

Book an appointment to talk with a counselor.

Take action...... recognize the anxiety is a totally natural reaction to external circumstances, and recognize that a) it is not going to kill you and b) it is going to get easier.

Hang in there.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety is very normal during withdrawals, and also after we've done things that we regret ( which we've all done by the way ).

Your body and mind are going through some major changes when you first stop drinking, did you happen to mention that to the doctor when you were there for the testing? Best to be safe during the initial days after quitting.

The solution of course is not only to quit drinking, but to start thinking of what you will do for your recovery. Taking the alcohol out of the equation is only the very beginning - have you considered seeing a counselor, attending meetings or some type of supervised detox/rehab?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is a nasty part of withdrawal and recovery. And, for some of us, it's already been a part of our lives and the drugs/alcohol make it much worse.
Try to slow your breathing and calm your mind. And, know that what you are going through today is not permanent. Things will get better.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I called to start the referral process for counselling. I'm was medicated for anxiety previously, stopped taking if, and started drinking heavily.

I'm cleaning my house to try to distract me but it is such a mess I feel overwhelmed and keep stopping. I thought about a massage. Maybe if I get my house clean I'll book one as a reward.

My headache has improved. But I think once it cleared I started really freaking out.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Read. Find a book you'll lose yourself in and read it in a place you find safe.

~Bunnez
Old 04-29-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have any urgent care places near you? You can go to one and get treated for extreme anxiety. They can prescribe some meds for you, so you can feel comfortable during detox. The anxiety during early detox would always make me return to the bottle for relief. Then I would start the vicious cycle all over again. I think the meds in the early going, made for a much better outcome in my recovery!! Best Wishes
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Water441, I re-read your post and, as I did so, wondered how many of the problems you identify would go away if you stayed sober. I am guessing most of them.

Sobriety is not going to solve all of our problems, but is solves a LOT of them. And it makes us better equipped to solve the problems that remain.

Good luck. We are pulling for you.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes it's cyclical for me as well. I turn back to drinking when I'm in withdrawal to pause the anxiety fully knowing I'll just have to deal with it even worse the next time I quit.

I may try to get some meds this afternoon but funnily enough I've never been into drugs and most of the fast acting anti anxiety drugs make me feel loopy.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Water 411, feeling loopy for a couple days is a pretty good trade off for a chance at sobriety .....and probably better than the doom you feel now!!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Deep Breathing Instructions for Calming Panic

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - Anxiety Slayer