Self Esteem Building Art Project for Kids

Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Esteem Building Art Project for Kids

So, as promised, I wanted to let you all know what the therapist is doing with my daughter for her self esteem building art project. They are first drawing out the left and right sides of the brain. Each side is outlined with different sorts of markers, etc. Then, in different colored strips made with construction paper, coming off the top (like hair sort of) are the things that are controlled by that side of the brain. So left would be things like accountability, responsibility, etc. On the right, creativity, artistic skills, etc. I am not sure of all of them as they just started. In a shorter strip then my child will write good attributes about herself that happen from that side of the brain.

When done, both sides will be mounted on a foam board and displayed side by side. It's a pretty neat project. On the outside of the foam board is colorful beads, etc. to make it pretty as well.

They started it last night and my daughter loved doing it. She came out all smiles. I love that her therapist sees the importance of creativity and encouraging that in my child.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is really interesting hopeful, it sounds like a great exercise. I love the hands-on aspect of it vs. traditional therapy, etc. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are very welcome FS, I like it too. Just because you tell someone their good attributes does not mean they are listening. This encourages her to think of them about herself, write them out, and then actually look at them on a regular basis. Pretty neat.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopeful-I love this!!!!!! I will be doing this project this weekend with my oldest-very cool
Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great FOG, I think it's a neat project too. Think of the strips that look like hair as Mohawk style LOL. I don't know if you read about the one my other daughter did or not, they did an outline of her hands a bunch of times and cut them out. They were arranged sort of wreath style onto foam board. It actually involved some mod podge and scrap book paper so all hands are different pattern. She then wrote all sorts of good attributes about herself. It was mounted on foam board as well. It hangs in her room to this day, she did it about a year ago. It's also very cool.

Love art projects that remind them of their good attributes because they have so many! Girls these days need to remind themselves of that, a lot. Boys too!