Notices

Struggling

Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Hi everyone - I am having a super stressful week. Just got over a bad head cold then husband and son home with a bad stomach bug early this week. Then I'm up with it at 1 am with it next day. Struggling to be productive in my business while sick in bed next day. One of our three employees is not working out and on a performance improv plan - we are all working harder to compensate.

All the while juggling all housework and trying to be a stable parent to our wonderful 10 year old who's worried about mom relapsing and keeps asking me if I drank. Husband just nods like "well, what do you expect" sarcastically. Well, I drank this week - although white knuckled two on two nights but I know this only leads to a bad increase.

Is it truly possible to be a working executive mom with no support at home or close immediate family and stay sober?? It seems like I have met a lot of sober retired people in AA but can't seem to find anyone in my situation. Thanks for being here to vent. I'm looking forward to the weekend because I don't drink or feel urge most times. I'm just really tired and burnt out.

It's 4:50 am and have been up all night with anxiety.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are lots of people in the same position as you. I'd suggest trying some different meetings. People get through all kinds of stuff sober. How did drinking really help your situation this week. You know if you want excuses to carry on, you'll always find them. We're great at that. Have you started working the steps yet? If so reread your own step one. Alcohol makes our lives unmanageable. It sounds like youre still mistaking it for a solution or cure all. It is not.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's possible to stay sober thru all kinds of circumstances, if you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Read this first link & see what others have said il include 2 links at the bottom for urges & cravings also

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...out-drink.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 04-29-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's possible.

Not trying to be a wiseguy but I've yet to see a lifestyle where it was necessary/vital to drink.

The bottom line is, although it might not always be apparent, continuing to drink is a choice for the vast majority of us - we can make other choices

D
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the reality check. I think my AV was getting the best of me this week. Well, it's back to Day One, which is better than Day Zero. I can make the commitment not to drink today, Friday. That day can be tough for me, so Dee, I agree that I need to have a plan. Today's plan is get to yoga as soon as as work is done. I have my gear in my backpack. I will also check in tonight with SR to keep myself accountable. Thanks to all for good advice!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For what its worth, when I had my company for a stretch years I drank every night after work as I felt I needed it to wind down. Then for the last 4-5 years I did not drink at all on Sunday and through the work week. I usually had anywhere from 3-6 employees. I found we became far more productive and profitable during those years. And as far as stress goes, I handled it appropriately and head-on as opposed to simply drinking more at night.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you seen D's plan link ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is it truly possible to be a working executive mom with no support at home or close immediate family and stay sober??

I really get your frustration. I remember I'd get so angry coming home from a long business trip and the house would be a disaster. Made me want to open a bottle of wine, so I did.

Alcohol will not solve a dang thing though. Not one thing on your plate will be removed by getting drunk. Same crap will still be there after you sober up, only you'll feel even worse to try and deal with it.

Are you and husband a team? A real team? If he is really traditional that can be exasperating, but try to really communicate with him that you're tired and need support. Start with the core issue - don't try to hide out in the bottle. It won't work.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Is it truly possible to be a working executive mom with no support at home or close immediate family and stay sober??

I really get your frustration. I remember I'd get so angry coming home from a long business trip and the house would be a disaster. Made me want to open a bottle of wine, so I did.

Alcohol will not solve a dang thing though. Not one thing on your plate will be removed by getting drunk. Same crap will still be there after you sober up, only you'll feel even worse to try and deal with it.
I can attest to that!! I own my own business, work a full time job from home, am a single mom of twins and have zero help from my xh. I used alcohol to check out or unwind or just not think about stuff. Well, it worked for a while. But the mess it left the next day was not worth it. House a mess, laundry piled up, bills piling up, lawn needed mowing, flower beds weeded etc. When I finally would decided to take a "breather" and sober up for a few days I was like a maniac trying to catch up! If I would have taken liquor out of the equation and just done a little every day like a normal person then yes there ARE enough hours in the day.

I figure the amount of time I spent getting liquor, hiding liquor, monitoring how quickly I drank it. Passing out, sleeping it off, feeling like CRAP when I finally came around, only to see the mountain of work that I'd let go?

Not to mention the emotional crap that came with it. It's just not worth it in the big picture.