Notices

Happened again...

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happened again...

Talking to a coworker today who commented about the crazy/business of my work/home life. Secretly I admit I kind of pride myself in managing it, though I've realized I need to dial some of it back. But I work and am married and have two kids who are active and I'm active myself... And we all get a piece of my time.

So while we were chatting (and his wife is sober as well) he commented "I can't believe you're not an alcoholic!" I know what he meant and why he said it. Other friends have said "if I had your life is drink a lot." But how the heck ought I respond in a work setting to that comment? I'm not going to lie. Bin also not going to blurt out in cubicle land that I'm sober or I quit drinking or "why yes I am an alcoholic"

I know I don't owe anyone an explanation, but it helps me when I can let folks in to the fact that u don't drink because it doesn't work for me. I don't give uber details, but letting people know in the right setting is therapeutic to me.

But it caught me off guard today.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can just tell you I never, ever told anyone I worked with that I was an alcoholic. I could see no advantage to doing that and plenty of ways it could bite me in the butt.

I think your co-worker was just making a random comment and you didn't need to respond. I don't believe in lying either, but I won't be pressured into talking about my alcoholism like that, by someone's comment.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't think you need to even respond. It's just a comment that doesn't require an answer. It's most likely just your addiction making a much bigger deal out of it than it really is.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair. I just was so caught off guard and likely because not drinking is still so on the forefront of my mind.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a strange one when people ask about drinking. For the first year I just said I don't drink as I don't like it. I have a very customer facing job and whenever a customer makes a comment about going out for drinks I just nod along, not interested in explaining why I don't drink.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started my job right when I was having my last slip-ups last summer, and I think one person knows I don't drink, but not that I have been to rehab or to the er for DTs or all the bad stuff. 2 of us even went into the office last saturday to get some work done, and as I was leaving I told him I was headed to my sister's beach house to hang out. He said "have a few for me!"...I said "ok, have a good weekend!" I just feel like it's something I don't want to bring there.