Notices

Newbie. Sober 3 days. Felt I need to share my story.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie. Sober 3 days. Felt I need to share my story.

Hello,

I'm 35 years old and have been sober for three full days. I began to drink heavily as soon as I graduated highschool, and through college.

I then had a job that required me to be mostly sober for 4 to 5 days per week. On my off days, it was a free for all.

About a year ago, I took a new job that allowed me to work pretty much normal 9-5 hours, with about 60% of that company travel. My off time, both at home and away, was spent drinking.

I'd go through at least a fifth every other day, and/or anywhere between 5-8 beers per night.

I tried to "cut back"several times. That never worked, or lasted more than a day.

Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I told myself I'd only drink on the weekends. That lasted just about 12 hours, and I had a few beers that very night.

This past Saturday, I had a few too many beers and got into an argument with my wife. We were fighting over something stupid, that I completely made up. So stupid.

Sunday, I had no urge to drink, but did anyway. I then left on a company trip Monday morning. On Monday, day before yesterday, I decided that's it.

There had been too many fights, to many arguments, too many hangovers, too many days called in sick to work, to much money spent, too many bottle bought with a CREDIT CARD. Too much. Too many.

I've been sober three days. Monday was hell. I didn't face any physical symptoms, but the emotional ones were unbelievable. I was craving it. I was trying my hardest to talk myself into going to the hotel bar for "just one." But I didn't.

I had horrible restless sleep that night. I had vivid nighmares. I dreamt that I was being executed, and I was asking my kids (7, 5, 2, and 9months) to "tell me something that you like about daddy, before they put me to death." I woke up crying my eyes out.

Tuesday wasn't as bad, other than I was exhausted. I still was craving a nice cool one, and tried very hard to talk myself into just one. I didn't.

Tonight was harder. I have had a horrible headache, and could hardly stay awake all day. I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

The "host" of the location I am visiting this week, took me to dinner. We went to a location that boasts "the largest selection of beer on tap in the United States." I wanted "one" SO bad. He had 3. I stayed strong. He even asked me if I am a "beer drinker." I said, "no, I used to be, but have given it up since I drank too much." He replied, "I didn't think you could drink too much."

I finally told my wife tonight that I have quit. Her response was , "Why?" See, where we come from, and in her family especially, alcohol is the norm. My wife likes to have a glass of wine every night. She is not nearly as bad as I am. She truly only has one or two at most. I don't think she is capable of knowing what I was doing, why I wanted to quit, and what I am going through.

That's my story. Wish me luck.

Thanks,

RRMK
Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard RRMK

I wish you well of course but I don't think you need luck - if you're committed to quitting , you'll quit and nothing anyone can say or do will change that

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

D
Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome RRMK!

Dee is right, no luck needed. I'm rooting for you.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You will find lots of support on this website. I stopped drinking four months ago, and it has allowed me to be a better mom, wife, and more focused at work.

Looking forward to getting to know you!!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR RRMK. Congrats on 3 days, great accomplishment.

Welcome aboard.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

RRMK,

I have a similiar situation with the wife. She was happy to hear that I didnt want to be a drunk, 'but that means you wont ever have a drink?'. Makes it hard. Good luck. We are rooting for you.

-red
Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome RRMK
Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Hi RRMK

I'm also into third day sober. Tiredness exhaustion absolutely. Mental health crap definitely yes. Fighting the urge yes.
I hope your feeling better eachday
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. Here's to day 4!

RRMK
Old 04-28-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Spouse and I always drank together too. It gets worse - you are 100% doing the right thing.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on getting to here in the face of adversity with work trip and encouragement to drink! you should be proud. I am at the same place as you today on day three feeling very much the same, too much money spent, too many arguments, too many hours wasted feeling awful... I'm sending you good luck and positive vibes to continue the fantastic progress you have started!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's often the case that others simply don't get alcoholism and how difficult and serious it is for us. You know what you need to do and I'm glad that you found your way here and are seeking support.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm three days without alcohol too. First time for me in nearly a hundred years. And I'm feeling pretty much the same symptoms you're having - bad night Monday, and pretty tired today. Like you, I woke up Monday and decided that enough was enough - time to get rid of the demon that brings so much crap to my life. But you're doing a great, positive thing - so stick with it - we're headed in the right direction!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi RRMK
Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi. Day 2 for me of no opiates. Bit different animal, but craving is craving. Think the same truck ran into me, too. You arent alone. Sometimes just knowing that is enough. Welcome.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the support. Halfway through day 4. Headache, and super-tired. Man. This is rough.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 4 RRMK
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The effect of one's drinking habits varies so much from person to person in my opinion. I can understand some people thinking that you don't even have a problem, yet YOU know you do. I believe ultimately that is what matters. I drank alot, yet hardly at all compared to some. Didn't matter, I was selling myself and my life short and knew I needed to change. When I first came to this site, I "kinda" wanted to change but not serious enough to actually do it. After a few months reading and learning on this site, I saw where I was headed. If was tough, just like it was supposed to be, but worth it. I wish you the best.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get better and easier RRMK - hang in there
D